Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Options
LynnJ9
LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
What do you all think?

Replies

• FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you to enjoy one a day or so. Just don't make it the only thing you drink.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet coke / pepsi for, ahem, at least 25 years, through fat times and thin. I can't drink ordinary because the sugar makes my sensitive teeth hum! I love it and have never had any side effects or problems of any kind. I guess if you are allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients then you should stay away, but that goes for ANYTHING that causes you problems, if not then have away at it and enjoy!!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Print out a few of the scientific peer reviewed studies that have been done on artificial sweeteners and hand him one everytime he says something about it.

I hate diet coke but I love Pepsi Max and have lost weight drinking it. My sister always preferred the taste of diet coke even as a child and has been drinking it since the '80s and has had no issues from it.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You mention sweet treat...if you are having a glass a time or two a week or something, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Now if you are having multiple glasses a day then I would be concerned. Everything in moderation. That said...I can't stand the headaches that come along with aspartame, so it isn't on my list of must haves :-).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about the sweeteners and I will have a diet coke from a fountain or whatever but I find the diet sodas in plastic bottles are so fizzy they make me really bloated. Diet Dr Pepper makes me all burpy. I kinda hate what it does aesthetically when I work hard at my eating and fitness to look slender so I tend to avoid it just for that reason.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Diet Dr Pepper is where it's at :)

Make mine caffeine free and I am with you on that!