Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Lol. It's not a fad to want a strong posterior.

the aesthetic factor of size is a fad though.
    chloe0wens wrote: »
    I can't wait for this fad of big butts to pass. I don't think a big *kitten* is all that attractive and I'm sick of my Instagram being full of girls hiking their undies up their butt crack and shoving their bum at the camera.

on the same note, i hate the inguinal ligament thing even more. i didn't even know it was a thing, until someone kindly explained to me WHY the frontal view of those same people always seemed to have their pants hiked all the way down to the waterline in that so-icky way. i just can't wait until someone decrees that that ligament's ugly instead and the whole thing goes away.

Ah yes, the "V". Been a thing for a long time. Aside from the junk skimming trousers to show it off I'm meh about it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lol. It's not a fad to want a strong posterior.

the aesthetic factor of size is a fad though.
    chloe0wens wrote: »
    I can't wait for this fad of big butts to pass. I don't think a big *kitten* is all that attractive and I'm sick of my Instagram being full of girls hiking their undies up their butt crack and shoving their bum at the camera.

on the same note, i hate the inguinal ligament thing even more. i didn't even know it was a thing, until someone kindly explained to me WHY the frontal view of those same people always seemed to have their pants hiked all the way down to the waterline in that so-icky way. i just can't wait until someone decrees that that ligament's ugly instead and the whole thing goes away.

Lol no it isn't. Big strong rear ends have always been "in style". Or whatever you want to call it.

It seems like when a certain other culture does something it becomes a "fad", even though it's been around long before that.

Seriously. I'm not that old but I don't remember a time when the booty wasn't the in thing.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what cryptic references to certain other cultures mean but big behinds have not always been the thing for the average woman on the street, and they certainly weren't in the UK. There is even a phrase for it: "does my bum look big in this?" and the appropriate answer was never "yes"!

I don't go very far back myself but I remember my mother and her friends in 80s perms together with 80s and 90s music and Seriously!Big *kitten* was not the look you prayed to wake up with the next morning at the time. I remember wanting to grow up to look like Audrey Hepburn, Christie Turlington or Giselle Bündchen, none of who have Kim K arses.

This year, the supermarkets were selling special bum workout DVDs in the New Years Resolution promotions. Pretty different from the Rosemary Conley videos that used to be the thing!

Times change. There's nothing inherently right or wrong about aesthetic preferences like this, but the fashion has changed. It does that. That's why none of us have beehive hairstyles or Mary Quant minidresses on today. Well, I assume you don't...

*shrug* Dont know anything about the UK but it's always been a thing in my circle.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what cryptic references to certain other cultures mean but big behinds have not always been the thing for the average woman on the street, and they certainly weren't in the UK. There is even a phrase for it: "does my bum look big in this?" and the appropriate answer was never "yes"!

I don't go very far back myself but I remember my mother and her friends in 80s perms together with 80s and 90s music and Seriously!Big *kitten* was not the look you prayed to wake up with the next morning at the time. I remember wanting to grow up to look like Audrey Hepburn, Christie Turlington or Giselle Bündchen, none of who have Kim K arses.

This year, the supermarkets were selling special bum workout DVDs in the New Years Resolution promotions. Pretty different from the Rosemary Conley videos that used to be the thing!

Times change. There's nothing inherently right or wrong about aesthetic preferences like this, but the fashion has changed. It does that. That's why none of us have beehive hairstyles or Mary Quant minidresses on today. Well, I assume you don't...

*shrug* Dont know anything about the UK but it's always been a thing in my circle.

Is this your circle as in "as far back as I can remember, I wanted to have a big booty" or your circle as in "my grandmother/other female relative showed me a picture of her in her wedding dress in the 50s and proudly reminisced about how her booty was the envy of the neighbourhood" though?

There is a difference, if you see what I mean. I personally don't remember the 1920s and flapper fashions, but they still happened, and my great-grandmother might have been a flapper for all I know.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options

Is this your circle as in "as far back as I can remember, I wanted to have a big booty" or your circle as in "my grandmother/other female relative showed me a picture of her in her wedding dress in the 50s and proudly reminisced about how her booty was the envy of the neighbourhood" though?

There is a difference, if you see what I mean. I personally don't remember the 1920s and flapper fashions, but they still happened, and my great-grandmother might have been a flapper for all I know.

Both.. Which is why I referred to the cultural thing.
    Certain cultures adopt a look and all of a sudden it becomes a fad even though it may have always been a thing in another culture.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up then. I was especially confused about that bit.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    And what I bought for that matter...

For example, exhibit A, the Lava Lamp. Why?

Yes, I know, everyone I knew was buying one, but what use was it?!
This discussion has been closed.