No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Replies

• Steveheikkila
    Steveheikkila Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think one of the issues with diet sodas is that given how incredibly sweet they are they contribute to a "sweet tooth" (i.e., a craving for sweet foods). They might not have any calories, but I worry they can derail your weight loss goals in the long term by fueling your craving for sweets.

I've read a bit about the possibility that aspartame messes with your gut flora in a bad way, but I don't think there's enough evidence yet. But I've cut it out of my diet just the same.

You could try switching to flavored seltzer water (LaCroix, etc.). No artificial sweeteners, but still carbonated and satisfying. It's not super sweet, so it takes getting used to. But you can get used to it. At least that's what I've done. Good luck to you!
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    The statistics are clear. People that drink diet drinks over water tend to weigh more. I hope that someday the reason why is found.
    Study after study cannot be biased/ pushing an agenda. What agenda? To stop drinking diet drinks? Coke would fight tooth and nail against this.
    I can even go to a family gathering and notice those that are drinking a diet drink weigh more than those drinking a water bottle. The statistics are not lying.

As observation that heavier people drink diet drinks and skinnier people drink water is not the same as saying "diet drink cause weight gain/obesity". My issue with the articles I was reading was they were making that connection. They didn't say "people who drink diet drinks over water tend to be heavier than people who drink only water". But as people have said earlier, people wouldn't read such tame articles haha.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Well I guess I don't have to worry about the Diet Cherry Pepsi, then because as a lifetime tooth-grinder, I have no enamel on my teeth anyway. I just brush a lot now.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    morganfx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The statistics are clear. People that drink diet drinks over water tend to weigh more. I hope that someday the reason why is found.
    Study after study cannot be biased/ pushing an agenda. What agenda? To stop drinking diet drinks? Coke would fight tooth and nail against this.
    I can even go to a family gathering and notice those that are drinking a diet drink weigh more than those drinking a water bottle. The statistics are not lying.

I've already noted this, but one study I looked at it implied that there is a psychological component whereby people think they're being good by drinking a diet soda and that, that somehow offsets the other copious amounts of calories they're taking in. It's not the soda itself. The studies aren't lying, they just don't tell the whole story which is typical of a correlation study.

This is pretty observable when dining out...someone with a huge double cheeseburger with bacon and extra large french fry...but it's all good because they're at least drinking a diet soda. Or I'm at a BBQ and someone has 4 different kinds of meats on their plates and a pile of beans and potato salad...but hey...they're drinking a diet soda.

It's not the beverage...it's everything else people are doing or not doing.

I could easily be that guy with the bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a diet drink. If I have room in my day for the bacon on my cheeseburger or a regular soda, I'm taking the bacon every time.

Agreed. Not sure why ordering a diet soda with a high calorie meal matters. You cut the calories out and you make room for other things. *shrug*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I was an heavy drinker... of Coke Zero. :smile:

I stopped it when I realized that acidity in these soda is very high and damages the teeth.
    https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/

PRODUCT pH
    NEUTRAL pH 7.00
    Dentin dissolves below 6.50
    Enamel dissolves below 5.50
    Coke Zero 3.18

Bad.

Now just occasionally in restaurants and eating at the same time.
    Well if one had bad oral hygiene, any citrus fruit would do the same. So would you stop eating citrus fruits too? Point being, if you take care of your teeth AFTER eating/drinking, acidity is not a problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Mika1221 wrote: »
    My advice, if you're going to drink diet soda, try one that doesn't have the aspartame in it, like diet Pepsi or diet coke with splenda.

No thanks. Diet Pepsi's change made it less palatable, and my mom even switched from CF Diet Pepsi to CF Diet Coke.

Also: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

Same here! Sucralose (brand name = Splenda) is nasty tasting.

And it hasn't been as extensively studied as aspartame (mostly because it's newer).

Personal preference-I exclusively use sucralose in my coffee because I prefer the flavor over regular sugar or other artificial sweeteners.
  • loseitin_2016
    loseitin_2016 Posts: 21 Member
    I do know there is talk about the aspartame being harmful to some people.I drink 3 Diet Dr Pepper's on most days and still manage to get in 80-100 oz of ice water with lemon juice.It doesn't make me crave sweets.I'm a former diabetic and weigh less than 125 and although I end up eating more carbs maybe the diet drinks have not made me fat.I also don't eat many sweets as a former diabetic not wanting to be diabetic again.The reason I drink so much water is because I have IBS-C and that keeps things moving.Water also helps my appetite between meals.I don't like Diet Pepsi and although I will drink a Diet Coke on occasion I just prefer Diet Dr Pepper.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I have only had regular soda a couple of times in years just because regular no longer seemed worth the calories to me, and with a history of prediabetes, I do try to cut sugar out where I can. To me it was an easy switch. (Though I hate diet Pepsi but like Coke Zero and love Diet A&W.) For a while on my first low carb diet (when I was working to reverse the prediabetes), Diet A&W was a lifesaver for me to curb my craving for sweets and keep me from feeling "deprived."

I'm sure the correlation is there but I have a BMI of 20 and there are plenty of us slimmer people who drink diet soda for various reasons.

Re liking water meaning your tastebuds must be shot? I've always loved ice water but trust me, I enjoy the taste of food very much, too!
  • katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    I've read the same thing about diet soda making you gain weight. I had a co-worker constantly telling me how bad diet soda is for me, so I tried the regular for a few weeks and gained weight. I drink TONS of diet Dr. Pepper and only recently starting drinking a little water, but the regular definitely made me gain weight whereas the diet did not. I guess neither one is good for you, but if you just have to have it (like me), I would stick with the diet if you don't want to gain weight.