July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner - coming to wyoming? Where about are you coming to? What is bringing you to the square states?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I always thought marathoners were nuts, but now here I am the day after and thinking about when I'll do it next year better trained and will get a time that actually is recorded on their records

:smile:

There is something odd about the Marathon race. That is pretty much everyone's reaction. My wife went from "never running more than 10 miles again" when she crossed the finish line of the half to "I want to the full" - in less than 24 hours. It makes no logical sense, but time and time again I see it with the marathon.

And yes, we are all probably at least a bit nuts. Welcome to the club :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    July Running Totals (miles)
    I'll have to think about whether I want to continue to look at the 80-20 HR zones. I have historically trained by pace, and not understood the HR data well enough to use it for training. I think I'm beginning to understand it better, but perhaps not well enough to train by HR. Factors I really don't understand include the impact of adverse weather on HR and pace and how pace and HR should be managed in adverse weather conditions. I know the principle, slow down when it's hot and humid; the difficulty is determining how much I should slow down. Today I was blessed with 79º F (26º C), overcast skies, a nice breeze, and 48% relative humidity. That feels pretty nice in July, until I stop running and start sweating profusely.

@MobyCarp running by HR is the same as running by effort. So making up numbers... say "comfortably hard" for you is 7:00 in great conditions with a flat course, and 8:00 in high humidity with hills. The basic idea is for the 7:00 pace conditions your HR would be 150, and for 8:00 conditions your HR would still be 150 (again making up numbers). To run 7:00 in those adverse conditions your HR might have to spike to 165 or something, showing that it was harder to do.

You HR stays constant as the measure of effort, while your pace reflects the hardness of the conditions. That is one reason I like running by HR. It seems a more objective measure and self-adjusts for conditions. It is not as good for interval running because HR lags behind efforts by 30-90 seconds (it takes a bit for your body to catch up to what you are doing) but for anything longer than that, it works well.

In the end, running by pace, running by effort, and running by HR are all different ways of measuring the same outcome. HR is considered easier for newer runners, but ultimately, if your goal is to beat a certain time then only PACE will tell you that.

You are good with pace (based on your posts) so you CAN train by pace. Training by pace is just as far beyond me as clapping on beat is. :) Based on what I see during races, most people can not keep a set pace. So you are a bit exceptional in that regard. IMO :smiley:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    After yesterday's high-intensity run, today meant a nice easy recovery run. So I ran a few warm-up miles before meeting with the group to run their 5-mile route. One of the runners was having trouble with the humidity, and was starting to lag behind everyone else, so I ended up running with her to keep her company and make sure she was doing ok. Overall, Garmin reckons I spent 83% of my run in Z2, and a little bit in Z3 when we ran up the ramps in the parking structure. The rest of the time was Z1 or less, so apart from the ramps, it was as a nice easy recovery run should be.

Also, it feels like we should be further into the week. Why is it only Tuesday?

05 - 13.56
    06 - 9.72
    07 - 22.03
    10 - 13.55
    11 - 9.76

Total: 68.62 / 250 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    After yesterday's high-intensity run, today meant a nice easy recovery run. So I ran a few warm-up miles before meeting with the group to run their 5-mile route. One of the runners was having trouble with the humidity, and was starting to lag behind everyone else, so I ended up running with her to keep her company and make sure she was doing ok. Overall, Garmin reckons I spent 83% of my run in Z2, and a little bit in Z3 when we ran up the ramps in the parking structure. The rest of the time was Z1 or less, so apart from the ramps, it was as a nice easy recovery run should be.

I had the same thought this morning. I'm grumpy, tired and tired and grumpy. Not even 8am yet.

ETA I have chigger bites too. And my check engine light is still on. Guess its to phone the dealership... Oh I can burn a vaca day!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I had the same thought this morning. I'm grumpy, tired and tired and grumpy. Not even 8am yet.

ETA I have chigger bites too. And my check engine light is still on. Guess its to phone the dealership... Oh I can burn a vaca day!
    If the gas cap is still causing issues, replace the gas cap? Or the little bit of tape covering the check engine light fell off, in which case its time to replace the tape.

And chigger bites suck. I usually spray myself with Off before I run to help ward off any little hungry buggers that view me as a mobile food source.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for July

7/1 13.1 miles - 13.1
    7/2 REST DAY
    7/3 10 miles - 23.1
    7/4 10 miles - 33.1
    7/5 5 miles - 38.1
    7/6 REST DAY
    7/7 REST DAY
    7/8 14 miles - 52.1
    7/9 REST DAY
    7/10 10.5 miles - 62.6
    7/11 10 miles - 72.6

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 - travel day
    7/2 - unpack truck day
    7/3 - 4 miles
    7/4 - more unpacking
    7/5 - exhausted
    7/6 - 3 miles
    7/7 - 8K 5 miles the 2nd of the 3 race in the Grand Prix series
    7/8 - 3 miles - very tired legs
    7/9 - rest day, more unpacking day
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 4 miles

25 out of 80 miles

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

If the gas cap is still causing issues, replace the gas cap? Or the little bit of tape covering the check engine light fell off, in which case its time to replace the tape.

And chigger bites suck. I usually spray myself with Off before I run to help ward off any little hungry buggers that view me as a mobile food source.

I found a local guy to look at it, maybe today. I'm hoping he'll just reset it and I can move forward. I can only find red, white, blue and green tape here at work....bet blue will work for now. :wink:

I'm spraying my yard tonight.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I have a permanent black marker you can borrow. It has fixed a couple of engine problems on my cars.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    July Running Challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 22/100

11/7/17 Run 8 km Walk 6 km
    10/7/17 Walk 5 km
    9/7/17 Run 7 km
    8/7/17 walk 2km
    7/7/17 Walk 4 km
    6/7/17 (Sick)Rest day
    5/7/17 Run 7 km + Yoga
    4/7/17 SL+ Walk 15 km
    3/7/17 Walk 7 km
    1/7/17 walk 8 km

SL : Strong lift
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    3.3 elliptical machine miles. 50 minutes in zone 1(mostly) Heart rate monitor arrives today. Once I start looking at the data, I'll have a better idea of my zones. I am trying to follow the 80/20 but I must admit my confidence in some things is not as strong. He allows for the cross-training (even suggest that cross training is to your benefit)but is vague on the application other than to say cross-training should be part of your 80. The zone have the three components of heart rate, pace and perceived effort but when cross-training pace is no factor, heart rates can be different due to different type of exercise and perceived effort is difficult to quantify.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    :frowning: I want to go run, but it is 92 and humid. I think I better pretend today is a rest day. :frowning: