40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    So after kickboxing yesterday, I woke up today feeling EVERY ONE of my 40+ years. :)

Loosened up, though, and I just did a light workout and a short run at the gym. That'll do it.

@ftmfrank73 and @BettyM1017 - awesome that you're getting ready for a half! Good luck!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Great day kids. Sdereski, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. She will always be in your heart. My sincerest condolences to you. The instructor took a page out of Orange Theory and the workout was extreme. I guess she listened when we all indicated that we bore easily. Have a great evening.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Lower"=Done!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    @sdereski those are hard. They get more frequent as we get older. Guy I whose office was next to mine collapsed on a bike ride at age 65. Just retired. It's tough
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Cranky at the sandbag carry...focused at Ape Hanger!

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @sdereski - Sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I'm sure that was a very tough loss.

@ftmfrank73 and @bettym1017: Fall halfs are so much fun. Nothing like cool weather running.

My wife and I had a nice break from the routine yesterday. We attended a wedding in Newport, Rhode Island. The noon ceremony was held on a cliff overlooking a lighthouse, then guests were shuttled to an Inn for an outdoor cocktail hour on the patio, followed by lunch in a dining room overlooking the Bay. Finally, we were shuttled to a cottage for some more pictures as the bride and groom launched their "just married" kayaks into the surf. Terrific day with friends in a spectacular setting. My main exercises were eating too many appetizers and drinking various flavored bellinis while standing around at the beach. It was tough duty.

Back to reality today. Signed up for a power based spin session that is sure to sweat out the poison.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx -- Sounds like a great day!

I took a couple too many rest days this week, for no reason other than not being enthusiastic. But, to my surprise, it really messed with my head. My mood has been really bad, my appetite was increasing, and I had claustrophobia nightmares last night. I realized this morning that it was related to the lack of exercise, so I went to the Y. Half-way through my workout, I already felt much better.

New guideline for taking care of myself: No more than two days between workouts. Even if it's just a stroll or leisurely swim.
  • Monman45
    Monman45 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@TmacMMM
    That sounds like me! Went on a anniversary weekend and didn't exercise for 3 days, got home and still didn't exercise for 4 days. Ate like crap and head was all moody and mouthy. Sleeping like crap and bizarre nightmares. Hahaha I can't have cheat days and I do better working out everyday. Keeps my mind and body nicer to me.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    I may not be losing actual lbs on the scale, but y'all, I feel so much better. I look better (at least I'm looking at myself more positively). I feel stronger. I'm happy to go to the gym and lift.

I'm slowly realizing that the gains come when you put yourself in the most positive mind-frame possible and when you focus on things other than the scale.

Stay positive, everyone! Make today great.

This made my day.

Hope all is well kids. TRX and BootCamp done. gam3rguy, I have to agree you look a tad grumpy. Thanks for sharing the pics. They are awesome.

Keep up the great work everyone.

Enjoy your day kids.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    I may not be losing actual lbs on the scale, but y'all, I feel so much better. I look better (at least I'm looking at myself more positively). I feel stronger. I'm happy to go to the gym and lift.

I'm slowly realizing that the gains come when you put yourself in the most positive mind-frame possible and when you focus on things other than the scale.

Stay positive, everyone! Make today great.

I've been experiencing this too. I am stuck on the scale but I see more muscles and everything feels loose so I'll take it.

I just did a 35 minute low impact cardio video, it was lame but it made me sweat so it worked. I tried to negotiate some running with my physio guy today but he countered with be happy I'm letting you still skate. A girl's gotta try right
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @sdereski I'm so sorry for your loss. The hardest part of aging is losing the people we care about.

@Beeps2011 , glad you enjoyed the break, it helps keeps you motivated.

Having said that, my kettlebell class is closed for July and August. I got a Groupon for a gun I've heard good things about and had some interesting classes, however I know realize 1) the class times never work for me 2) I'm not very self motivated to set up a kettlebell workout on my own and 3) machines are boring. I've been going to kickboxing 4 times a week and we do some resistance training there, but I need Notre strength training and I'm just not sure what to do with the gym equipment!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Upper"=Done!
  • ftmfrank73
    ftmfrank73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fellow born in the 70's guy here. Happy Friday. Also "P90X3 Triometrics" = Done!

By the way, I know it's only 30 minutes but I think I sweat the equivalent of 2 hours worth.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last week. I can finally hang out with you guys!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I cancelled the gym yesterday as I was exhausted. This cold has knocked me on my *kitten*. I did sleep well last night, so am hoping I am on the mend. Weekend looks great weather wise. :)
    Hopefully that will motivate me to get outside and play.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    @sdereski hope you're feeling better. Summer colds suck!

I try to avoid the gym but maybe today since it's dreary out I will explore my options there. I"m tired of low impact cruddy videos.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    30 minute row.

Now packing up for a week away. I've scoped out the Y's closest to where I'm going so I can stick to my workout plan. Sticking to my eating plan will be a bit tougher.