40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• stan9280
    stan9280 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How's this for not using my head! Went on vacation a couple months ago...hit the gym EVERY DAY while on vaca! Get home....went off eating and work out plan. Stepped on the scale recently and yuck.... Let myself get comfortable and lazy and paying for it in lbs. Oh well...we start again.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'll be dodging the raindrops this afternoon while doing an open water swim. Even in the rain, I prefer swimming outdoors in the summer. Will get some long hill work in on the bike tomorrow, followed by a run. Starting to build volume for Sept race in Lake Placid.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Fartlek Friday! Today, I enjoyed a 7-mile interval run. Intervals were 200m, 400m, 800m, 800m, 400m, and 200m at race pace. Dang, those are challenging!

@Djproulx Hahaha! This is Florida! November will definitely be cooler temps than July, but we'll still be high 70s by the end of the race. The humidity is usually a little lower, thankfully!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 can I ask what a fartlek is? My running app told me a reverse fartlek was up next before win hurt my foot. I thought I had just misheard

@Djproulx are you doing a tri in lake placid? Its one of my most favourite places

@stan9280 you did it once you know what you've got to do

I did am upper body workout today. I walked a lot at the mall and my heel was sore so I wanted to take it fairly easy since we're going to the zoo tomorrow which means lots of walking
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    @AliNouveau A fartlek run is an interval run. You start out at a slow, warm up pace, slower than your easy run. In my case, my warm up is 2 miles at around an 11-minute mile. Then you pick up the pace for a specific time or distance. In this case, the intervals were 200, 400, and 800 meters long at my goal race pace of 9:15. In between the intervals, I back the pace down again for half or equal the distance of the interval. Then, my cool down run is another slow 2 miles. Hope that helps.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    @AliNouveau A fartlek run is an interval run. You start out at a slow, warm up pace, slower than your easy run. In my case, my warm up is 2 miles at around an 11-minute mile. Then you pick up the pace for a specific time or distance. In this case, the intervals were 200, 400, and 800 meters long at my goal race pace of 9:15. In between the intervals, I back the pace down again for half or equal the distance of the interval. Then, my cool down run is another slow 2 miles. Hope that helps.

Thanks. It does help. I thought I must have hear wrong or something. But now I know
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 - Point taken! "Cooler" is a relative thing, but I'm guessing the 70's will feel pretty good to a Floridian.

@AliNouveau - Lake Placid is a favorite place of mine as well. My son went to college in Potsdam, NY (find that on a map, lol!) so I've spent some time up there. And yes, I'm signed up for the Ironman 70.3 race in Lake Placid. Registration for this race opened last Sept 10th and sold out in about 4 days. Should be a lot of fun on race weekend.
  • AliNouveau
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @BettyM1017 - Point taken! "Cooler" is a relative thing, but I'm guessing the 70's will feel pretty good to a Floridian.

@AliNouveau - Lake Placid is a favorite place of mine as well. My son went to college in Potsdam, NY (find that on a map, lol!) so I've spent some time up there. And yes, I'm signed up for the Ironman 70.3 race in Lake Placid. Registration for this race opened last Sept 10th and sold out in about 4 days. Should be a lot of fun on race weekend.

I've been to Potsdam. My mom liked thst steak so we spent many summer road trips heading there. Also there's a big figure skating competition there in the summer we'd go to. It's so beautiful. Good luck
  • Debs_Az
    Debs_Az Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm 57 & am starting over with MFP.... I would love to join in too!! <3 Add me as a friend if you'd like!!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Dynamix"=Done!
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!! Im feeling unsure when i woke up...i need a "can-do" stories. cheers! :)t626te7ed72y2gd23.jpg
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    A nice easy 5-mile recovery run today and 21DFX Dirty 30 Extreme. It's time to dive into that pot of chili I have simmering on the stove!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "SHAUN WEEK™: INSANE FOCUS Day 1: Insane Basics"=Done!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oww my legs are sore! I think the instructor did every leg exercise he could think of last night. Squats with weights, lunges with and without, pistols with the bands, pulsing squats, kick backs, low squats with speed punches, squat thrusts, burpees, pop squats. Ouch.

Pretty happy that my weight is slowly, oh so slowly getting to my goal. I've been pretty consistently at 139lbs in the morning. My original goal was 140lbs and/or back into some size 4 pants I have. I can fit but still a little snug on the belly, so a couple more pounds would be nice.

It'll be interesting to see if my weight goes up when I get back to kettlebell in September.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    HIIT class = done.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "SHAUN WEEK™: INSANE FOCUS Day 2: Pure Cardio 2"=Done!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    40 minutes half lower body hiit and the other half upper body including abs.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    July 16 – 3.0 miles Easy & 21DFX ABC Extreme
    Total: 65.25/100 miles

Today was supposed to be hill sprints. I am not a fan of doing hill sprints on the treadmill, and I cannot use the incline feature on my treadmill right now; so, I have to do hill sprints outside. Unfortunately, I closed last night and didn’t get out of work until 1AM. That put me not being even remotely functional until sometime between 10 and 11 this morning. By that time, the heat and humidity created a RealFeel of 107°F. Hill sprints can wait until tomorrow!

On the plus side, I opened tonight and got out early. I was home before 9, so I laced up my running shoes, put on my light band, and hit the pavement. That felt so good! I still couldn’t do my hill sprints. My one and only hill is not accessible in the dark, but even a short run not on the treadmill and not baking in the sun felt amazing!

Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ran 3m (10 min/mile pace) on the treadmill at a Y I found while traveling. It had a pretty sad fitness center (just 3 old treadmills, one elliptical and one recumbent bike), but it got the job done.

Also, signed up for my fall 5k, at which I intend to break my 20-year PR of 28:32.