Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My Dr. gave me a prescription yesterday, but since I'm sick, I won't be starting it until probably next week. How's everyone doing on it?
  • johnnieg93
    johnnieg93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    So nice to read everyone's personal experience with Contrave. I started 3 wks ago and have lost 10 lbs. I have tried numerous diet methods in my past and nothing has worked quite like this. I don't have any desire to eat like I used to. Sweets were always my addiction and I have no desire to eat them! I have had some nausea but I take Bonine when I do and it quickly goes away. All in all very impressed with medication!! Good luck to everyone!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    johnnieg93 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    So nice to read everyone's personal experience with Contrave. I started 3 wks ago and have lost 10 lbs. I have tried numerous diet methods in my past and nothing has worked quite like this. I don't have any desire to eat like I used to. Sweets were always my addiction and I have no desire to eat them! I have had some nausea but I take Bonine when I do and it quickly goes away. All in all very impressed with medication!! Good luck to everyone!

Glad to see you are having such promising results!
  • cchyenne
    cchyenne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I've been on Contrave for almost 3 weeks now and I was wondering what time do y'all take your pm pill?
  • RenaPink11
    Options
    cchyenne wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    I've been on Contrave for almost 3 weeks now and I was wondering what time do y'all take your pm pill?

Today is my first day on week 2. I took my am pill at 7 and will take my pm pill at 7. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • cchyenne
    cchyenne Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I take my am at 9 and pm around 5. I wasn't sure if there was suppose to be a certain amount of time in between them.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My doctor said the idea is to keep the dosage level in your system constant so as long as you take it 12 hours apart it's fine. I take mine at 7a and 7p as well.
  • johnnieg93
    johnnieg93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am staying sick to my stomach doing the two pills at one time thing; even with bonine. Does anyone have any suggestions???
  • Valerie077
    Valerie077 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    johnnieg93....I've heard that ginger works for nausea. You can buy the root and cut a few small pieces and boil with water and drink or buy ginger candy (not sure the calories on the candy).
  • kahichz88
    kahichz88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on Contrave, and I'm just feeling kind of strange. I am obviously going to have to re-learn what a legitimate hunger signal is versus mindless snacking. I don't really feel nauseous; I just feel a little jittery. I can definitely tell a difference in my appetite. Instead of wanting to gorge, I have to make a concerted effort to finish my food. We'll see how it goes!
  • samaniego2013
    samaniego2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started Contrave on Monday May 22 so far I love it! It took away all my cravings... I now feel I have to almost force my self to eat. I've had minor side effects like light headaches and not being able to sleep very well but I also feel lots of energy hope it continues to work ;)
  • RenaPink11
    Options
    I'm looking to add friends that use contrave. I'm on week 3
  • boca33433
    boca33433 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also taking it. I am just about to start week 4. For those who have successful, what are you eating and how much? What does your food diary look like?
  • tescamilla13
    tescamilla13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking it yesterday and I felt horrible, I had to leave work and go straight to bed. I slept off and on from 11:00 am until today around 11:00 am. Had a horrible headache, nausea and even had a little vomiting before bed. Didn't take one today, not sure if I should continue taking them.
  • mrsrjb21
    mrsrjb21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started taking it yesterday and I felt horrible, I had to leave work and go straight to bed. I slept off and on from 11:00 am until today around 11:00 am. Had a horrible headache, nausea and even had a little vomiting before bed. Didn't take one today, not sure if I should continue taking them.

Hi, Tescamilla, did you continue taking the Contrave and did it get better? I am supposed to start it today, but have concerns about the side effects.
  • mrsrjb21
    mrsrjb21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. Thanks for posting your experiences. It is helping to ease my mind some. I am wondering the general amount of weight ppl on Contrave are needing to lose? Also, do any of you have other health issues besides your weight? Not asking for specific info, just worried about the side effects :)
  • jj85201
    jj85201 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I started taking Contrave this morning. No side effects at all, I did take it with breakfast so maybe that helped? I was worried based on some previous posts so I didn't have any caffeine this morning. I want to lose 50 pounds.
  • shonna77
    shonna77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started today. Took my first pill this morning! Not sure what I expected but I was hungry like normal today. I also had some lightheadedness for about half the day. Enough where I was just laying down. After eating and a lot of water I felt better and now I'm feeling fine. Hoping tomorrow I have no issues. Glad I started on a Saturday! Looking to lose 88 lbs and I'm 5'7", goal weight is 150 (although first goal is to hit 199). Would love to connect with others around the same weight.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After a long talk with my doctor I decided to give Contrave a try and just started it this week. Of course during week 1 you are only taking 1/4 of the ongoing dosage (including none in the evening when I'm usually the most challenged) so it is hard to really give a read. So far no apparent side effects, though when meal time approaches I am getting a bit of the light-headed low blood sugar feeling. I'm going to put in more energy tracking that to see if it is the Contrave itself, or if it is the result of my skipping a between-meal snack. That would be good for weight loss, but I may need to force myself to snack a bit. The key question is, does it help me actually carry out my plan to eat an apple or almonds rather than finding myself detouring to the lure of chocolate or pretzels?

The main positive impact I've noted is that I'm only eating 1/2-2/3 of what is on my plate. Normally I'm a clean plate kind of guy, where even if full I keep wanting to take one more bite until it is all gone. The last few days, without even thinking about it, I just put my fork down when I was full. If that holds, this is going to work well.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Update, I'm now into my second week on Contrave. I realized my comment about "light-headed low blood sugar feeling" was indeed side effects. I was light-headed and very slightly nauseous, so it felt more like an empty stomach hunger. I was also very sleepy. These symptoms declined on day 5 and did not recur on days 6 and 7. The first day of week 2 the evening pill did cause some extra sleepiness, and I considered skipping dinner and going to bed early. But otherwise no problem and I suspect my body will adjust just like with the morning pill

In terms of success, I lost 4 pounds the first week with only modest dieting and little activity (bone bruise in my foot is keeping me largely off it a little while longer). Basically Contrave reduced snacking and aided in portion control. I find it surprisingly easy now to actually stop when I'm full, and leave food on the plate. I've been eating healthier, but can't say I've denied myself anything. My wife offered me a cupcake, and knowing I hadn't overeaten in days, I was happy to accept. Meanwhile the rest of the cupcakes have been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days and I haven't had any interest in them.

Basically so far, so good.