Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Many fat people are guilty of thin shaming.

Really? I am pretty fit, and I have never had to endure abuse by someone who's fat. The myth of "thin shaming by fat people" reminds me of "reverse racism" - yes, it's possible in theory, but it's a false equivalence, because we live in a society where being thin or normal weight comes with many privileges, while being fat is associated with loads of stigmas.

My husband and siblings are all pretty thin & the comments people make are thin shaming. Although it’s done by people of all sizes. One my husband posted a picture of us on social media and he had at least “jokes” about how thin he looked before he took it down.

Although I do agree that being fat comes with stigmas way beyond what is placed on someone thin. Until they are thin enough to look like they have an ED- then I think the same types of stigmas are placed.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,372 Member
    The movement itself is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with "leave me alone while I find my own path to getting to a healthy weight." It is "shut up and accept as I am because I don't care what society says is a healthy weight."

Yes, that is exactly what it is. It is "accept me as I am and don't reduce me to my body". I think that is a very healthy approach.

Really? I am pretty fit, and I have never had to endure abuse by someone who's fat. The myth of "thin shaming by fat people" reminds me of "reverse racism" - yes, it's possible in theory, but it's a false equivalence, because we live in a society where being thin or normal weight comes with many privileges, while being fat is associated with loads of stigmas.

Thin shaming definitely exists - recall Calista Flockhart when she was on TV (can't remember the name of the show). She is a very thin woman and every week there was some gossip column or Access Hollywood expose on how she was actually an anorexic in denial, or bulimic or some other such nonsense crap being spouted about her.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,372 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The movement itself is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with "leave me alone while I find my own path to getting to a healthy weight." It is "shut up and accept as I am because I don't care what society says is a healthy weight."

Yes, that is exactly what it is. It is "accept me as I am and don't reduce me to my body". I think that is a very healthy approach.

Thin shaming definitely exists - recall Calista Flockhart when she was on TV (can't remember the name of the show). She is a very thin woman and every week there was some gossip column or Access Hollywood expose on how she was actually an anorexic in denial, or bulimic or some other such nonsense crap being spouted about her.

I don't think she was ashamed. She co-wrote the Ally McBeal episode featuring the scene where she was sitting on the toilet and fell into the bowl due her, um, diminutive frame. "Ally fell and she can't get up". Remember? Do you think she would have played the lead role as a hotshot career gal sexy pretty lawyer in a prime time TV show in the 1990s if she was a fat girl?

She personally wasn't ashamed of her figure, but she was frequently 'shamed' for her figure.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm taking this too literally but to say someone is "shamed" means the result would be shame. Which is rarely, if ever, the case with thin people as opposed to fat people. Ridiculed would be the word. Thin people get ridiculed occasionally for being what is perceived to be too thin. They look great in both tailored power suits and evening gowns alike though so I think they'll be okay.

I'd say you're right. But the term that has recently become popularized is "fat shaming" So that's what people are discussing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2017
    Shaming is wrong.

sc4zyv7caadb.png

Justifying one form of shaming while disparaging another just makes you a jackwagon.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    I don't doubt that people, and especially women, get body-shamed whatever their size - and that is wrong. My point was that, when we discuss "fat shaming" and "thin shaming", we cannot do that outside of the context of our society, where normal-weight and thin people have many privileges that fat people don't. I quite like this piece - the point I was trying to make is illustrated in the third section, but of course, the others are important, too: https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/skinny-shaming-not-reverse-discrimination/
    Like what "privileges"
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    @suzannesimmons3, sorry, I was replying to @russeljam08, even though it appeared directly under your post. But I don't accept you calling it a "moot" point when you haven't even read the links I provided.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2017
    Moved to smoking/obese thread.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Is withholding surgery to obese people because they are obese a form of fat shaming? Is this movement coming to North America or is it already here?

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/17/nhs-provokes-fury-indefinite-surgery-ban-smokers-obese/

Nope. It's a risk evaluation. In most cases, the higher level of obesity the less chance of success from the surgery. Or they might not survive the surgery.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2017
    The most vocal members of that crowd are generally just kind of awful.
    For most people though, denial of health risks down the road is the worst thing they have going for them. If I had to choose for another person, I'd rather they be in denial and love themselves than be in denial and participate in their own dehumanization.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    I don’t think it’s right to shame fat people, but I also don’t think it’s better than other vices, like smoking, or drinking. It does affect other people, and costs tax payers money. It’s annoying to me that it’s socially acceptable to be fat (and even to make your children fat!), but not to smoke or drink.