Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    My week end was uneventful, I got SO tired of the heat. I'm better today tho. I love that rowing machine so I went on it for a bit yesterday. Tonight I'm going to a meeting at my church but before it starts, they serve dinner. I've been doing well, staying under my calories so I think I'll eat before I leave & just have a small portion of something, just to socialize. Wednesday night we're having a meeting for foster home (or potential ones) at the rescue center & It's a pot luck! So I think I'll make a chicken breast, veggie saute over rice & I'll have some of that without the rice. Before I started mfp, over a year ago, I went to a really great, insightful, practical group at our church. It was called the Reality group. It was every other tuesday & just the ladies group was every other tuesday so there was a meeting every tuesday & every tuesday before we began we had a pot luck. Everyone there loved to eat & wasn't shy about getting 2nd's or 3rd's. There was so much good food. Of course I cooked too. We haven't met in over a year. I don't know how I do at potlucks. there's something about eating other ppl's food, so good. This will be a test for me. I REALLY want to lose these last 15 lbs
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 I wish I could sit on a ball at work! Our teller counters are super high up though. I try to stand a lot but I have to wear not so comfy shoes so it can be hard...although the thought just occurred to go buy some cushy insoles so maybe that will help as well! Lol.

@rachelbachel32 I had a rough weekend food wise as well. And there is this awesome forum called Just For Today under the motivation category and it's all about the goals you want to accomplish for today. I love it! It's like a giant family. A lot like this one here is. Lol.

So other than poor food choices yesterday was AWESOME! I posted a blurb on Facebook about my new book and a link to it on Amazon and I know I got one ebook sale and I'm pretty sure I got a bunch of paperback sales as well but I won't be able to tell until they get shipped out. Lol. Caught up with a former best friend who lives in the next state(about an hour and a half away) and he wants to come for a visit soon. He is actually the boy that broke my heart when I was 19 but 4 years later introduced me to my husband. He moved to Philly and we kind of fell away from each other. I dont usually use Facebook much and dont even have it on my phone. So when I logged in I had a few messages from him so I answered him and he happened to be online. It was a great conversation. And I got to have a good conversation with my brother who lives in Philly as well. We dont talk much. He's 7 years older than me. But we had a good catch up conversation. Plus! The DH and some of his friends from work played video games until 2am last night and I was able to listen in because of a broadcasting app that one of them uses. The DH's mic was able to pick up my voice most of the time, but the stream was about 6 seconds behind so I was always a little late to all the jokes and things but it was still fun! Slept in until 12:30 this afternoon. I have no idea how the DH can get up after only 4 hours of sleep! I could never do it! Lol

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share about my awesome day! Lol
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    @Evamutt I haven't been to a pot luck in years! I have no idea how I would do. I think I would be a little nervous myself. But good luck! I have faith that you will do splendidly!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I'm so excited, My foster, Blue (dog) has a meed N greet this Wednesday. Sounds like a wonderful family with 4 boys & a cheweenie for her to play with
  • Evamutt
    Options
    HGSmith, I loved hearing about your awesome day, I'm sure we all did. Keep sharing
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    So much to catch up on here - @HGSmith0920 - what a great sounding day! What is your book about?

@Evamutt - hope the meet and greet goes well :)

@rachelbachel32 - I too overindulged way too much last weekand we have a birthday party next Saturday so next weekend may not be much better! Trying to get back on track this week though - yesterday was a good day in that regard. My goals for the week? Stay within calorie goal at least 6 days out of 7 - this will help me stay on track and also gain me points in the challenge group I am in! And fitness wise, do a yoga session on the 3 days that I am working from home. Got one done yesterday so just today and Thursday to go.

@rachel0778 - hope yesterday gave you the opportunity to get back into routine.

Not much exciting happening here- just a standard week of work. Weather is getting hot again which doesn't help me much but I'm battling on. One of the things I'm focussing on this year is sorting out the garden - it's a slow process without much spare time but I'm trying to do a bit every day. We have decided to put some roses in the front garden and I've got a discount code from a magazine if I buy them by the 31st August - so time to start some research - high frgarance and wildlife friendly high on the priority list for me. So much more fun than work - sigh :(. Hope the week treats you all well.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @janetay01 I dream of retirement where I could just tool away in a garden all day if I so chose ;) Sadly, I'm sure I've got around 35-40 years before that is a reality-but I can dream!

@Evamutt I hope the meet and greet goes well! We have a fair amount of potlucks at work. I fill 1/2 my plate with veggies, 1/4 with protein, and 1/4 with whatever fun thing I want to try (I always try to pick the best). Then I limit myself to 1 treat and a piece of fruit as my afternoon snack. It's still higher cals than I'd normally do, but I think it mitigates a lot of the damage

@HGSmith0920 Insoles and a padded floor mat are totally worth the investment! It sounds like you had a great day yesterday, congrats on the book!!!!

@rachelbachel32 Glad the 2nd job is only temporary! It sounds like you're doing a great job already of hitting your goals. My goals are to find a gym that I can stick with and to stay within my weekend calorie allotment (weekdays are never my problem but I'm sick of going into Monday feeling bloated and discouraged).

My poor SO is sick of hearing about it, and I'm sure you are too, but I'm frustrated by my inability to find a fitness group that "sticks". It was so much easier when I lived in a large metropolitan area. Now I feel like every choice I have is half-*kittened* at best compared to what I could have at a different geographical location. My SO reminds me that it's something I can't change so I have to work with what we've got, but I'm frustrated and I don't like it. It just boils down to me feeling mopey and sorry for myself right now. I'm constantly trying new things to find a good fit, but I haven't had that spark in ages and I want it back :(

In other better news, I was crazy productive last night and made lunches for the week as well as prepping and freezing all lunches for next week so I'm in good shape food wise. Now I've just got to find a gym that feels like home.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Rachel0778. I think I can relate to your frustration. I was so addicted to racquetball some years ago, when my partner couldn't play any more I was missing it deep in my gut & took months for that feeling to go away. I went thru a period of mourning. It's just so hard for me to let go of something that gave me so much pleasure, I hang on to it & so it's hard to find something else so I miss out. Not saying this will happen to you, I just had a very hard time.Another thing I had to let go of is I went to a great group called "Reality group" I found it by accident when I went into the wrong room at my church. I was working at the time & my job turned really,really hard & I had marriage problems & was desperate. We met every Tuesday...with a pot luck. It was a life studies group using biblical principles. We delt with all kinds of life issues. It was VERY practical & I faced many hard things in my life. It lasted 5 years, I changed, circumstances changed & I feel at peace about those issues, I learned I was very co dependent & an enabler & needed ppl's aproval & it just changed my life.During that time, me & a few friends met every other week as we went thru the the book "Boundries", that changed my life too, it took about a year. So that ended about a yr ago. I sure missed it but knowing how I am, I had a bit easier time letting it go. I've been lonely for christian fellowship lately so last night I went to a Celebrate Recovery group. I don't know if it's for me, BUT during the "orientation for new ppl" I discovered how much anger I have in me I didn't know I had. I'm asking the Lord what he wants me to do...go to the CR every week or...? so I'm grumpy & short tempered today. I'm not an angry person in general. I'm usually very calm & peaceful but this stirred up something in me. I can say I'm glad God doesn't let me stay where I am but reveals things & makes me grow, no matter how hard or stressful, sigh
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! The book is a series of poems that I wrote when I was in high school battling undiagnosed bipolar disorder and after I found stability and maintenance through strategically placed, friends, family and health care professionals as well as my faith in the Lord.

So I just started to have to do some selling of products and services at the bank I work at and I'm having trouble with it. Yesterday I realized what my problem was. I'm afraid of looking stupid when asking pointed questions, like "How are you going to use this money?" or "I see you have a lot of money in your checking account why not save some of it and open a savings account?" I have a fear of putting myself out there with the potential of looking stupid or embarrassing myself. So for the last two days, I have been researching how to ask effective questions. So when I go to work tomorrow and the rest of this week. If anyone has any tips about it feel free to PM me. I can use all the advice I can get!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    HGSmith, I'm an introvert & also shy. I was more so when I was younger. Back before school & hospital job, I worked at JCPenny. The thought of being outgoing, assertive,proactive was daunting so I made up this imaginary person in my mind, how I would WANT to be toward the public Nice, courteous, helpful, confident, knowledgeable so I pretended to be that person. What helped me was realizing that these strangers don't know the real me, I probably never or hardly ever see them again, I know more about the product than they do(they don't know that I only know what I was taught) so I CAN be confident, all they know is the person they see. that thought took me off the hook & I was able to project that person I made up in my mind. The drawback was that my co workers started sending "grumpy, complaining" ppl my way who they didn't want to deal with, but it all worked out lol. You can do this. You can do more than you realize
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    Thank you @Evamutt That is a really smart idea! I'll definitely try it! You are always so encouraging! I really appreciate the advice!

Back to the grind today. Boo! I had three days off and now am back to work for four. Plus doing a couple of family things this week. But I had a great few days. Even got to have a day off with the DH. That was especially nice! The DH got a 100% on his audit at work which is really good because he's one step closer to that next promotion we desperately want!

Well, have a great day everyone!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    From what you described @HGSmith0920 it sounds like you're not required to sell anything? So maybe just think of it not as selling, but just as keeping your customers informed about products/services that might interest them! :) And that's what you base your pitch on - what you notice about their account, and what might be helpful to them.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @Evamutt I love the idea of having a Reality group! I'm not religious, but that seems like the exact type of group I need in my life. Sorry to hear you're having a grumpy day. I used to work at JC Penney too, and I feel your pain on having to put on an alter-ego when you work with customers. It definitely forces you to become an extrovert in the moment!

@HGSmith0920, I agree with @Evamutt and @clicketykeys. Having someone open a savings account is in their best interest so you're helping them instead of just selling them a product they don't need. And you're in your job for a reason, you know your stuff so it's all about presenting a confident persona! And any question you don't know, you can always say, "That is a great question, I'm going to double check with so-and-so and get right back to you!"

Happy Wednesday! I decided to bite the bullet and emailed the local crossfit gym last night to give it a try. I tried one crossfit class 3+ years ago in a different town and wasn't impressed, but maybe this gym will be different. I figure it doesn't hurt to try!

Other than that the SO has been super stressed with work, which means that by the time he comes home he's exhausted, overwhelmed, and just wants to be left alone to decompress. I totally understand and have been giving him his space, but I am feeling a bit lonely because of it. He's up for doing a date night this Friday so that should hopefully help.

• rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @HGSmith0920 I was in sales at a bank for 7 years. It was a love/hate relationship. It's interesting to talk to people and get their stories, but rejection can be difficult. But it sounds like you aren't full-on selling, just making referrals and leaving the selling to whoever they talk to next! :smile: It's all about asking questions. The more you ask those questions, the easier it will get. I always told myself, the worst they can say is no!

@Rachel0778 I'm glad you are trying crossfit! I've never done it, but I know a few people who love it. I hope you can find something that you enjoy! I'm sorry you've been feeling lonely. It's always hard to give your SO space that he needs. At least it is for me! I always want to say, "give me attention!" :blush: But I know he's human and needs to decompress too. I hope you enjoy date night!

This week has been tough food-wise. We went out to eat Tuesday night for my fiance's birthday. I had planned what I was having and budgeted calories for it, but he wanted an appetizer, which put me over (it WAS delicious, though!), and we split a cupcake at home. I still made it to the gym that day for lower body, which I'm proud of, because I REALLY didn't want to go. Yesterday, my co-workers had a bridal shower for me. We ordered a bunch of appetizers at a restaurant, none of them being healthy. I logged close to 1200 for that meal (estimated the best I could), and I had 2 glasses of wine. I went to kickboxing afterwards, and let me tell you, that was ROUGH. I felt soooo full and gross. I'm glad I went, though! If I hadn't, I would have had more wine. After class, I showered and was asleep by 8:30! And this morning, I was somehow down a pound.

I am leaving town tonight to help care for my grandma, who just had a knee replacement. My gym has locations where she is (Omaha), so I am planning to go tomorrow and Saturday there. Should be interesting to see how that location differs from my own! I'm going to pack plenty of food for myself, because I want to stay on track the next few days, especially since my fiance's dad is taking us out for dinner Saturday night to celebrate his birthday. We're going to a steakhouse, so I might budget all of my calories for that! :smirk: Overall, I think I've been doing okay, but there have just been a lot of events this week!

I've also decided that I want to try doing the Tough Mudder next year! I have almost an entire year to get ready for it. My gym gets a big group of people together to go (I think there were around 65 this year). I'm excited to have something long-term to plan for! I am a HORRIBLE runner (like over 12 minute mile and I had to walk part of it, and that was recently), so I am going to start C25K next week. TM has a 3 month training program that has "run 4 miles" on day 3, so I need to train for their training. :lol:

That got longer than I meant it to be, haha. I hope you're all having a great Thursday!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    rachelbachel32 It sounds like you're doing a great job of keeping an handle of this week. I'd definitely recommend doing a tough mudder! I did one a few years ago and loved it. It's so cool you have such a great group to go with!

Well...my office flooded yesterday due to the storms. Ugh. Seriously, this week needs to be over. I hope they beat my crabbiness out of me at bootcamp class tonight! My SO and I decided to do an active date on Friday so we're going to ride our bikes to a neighboring town to get dinner at the lakeside restaurant. Hopefully the weather cooperates! I hope everyone else's day is going better than mine.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    It's nice to hear from everyone. I had a super busy day yesterday. My rescue needed someone to pick up a dog from the vet & take them to the center, so after I walked/jogged my dogs, I went & gave him a ride, got home at noon, made my dish for pot luck & took my foster dog to center for meet & greet by 2:30. They text that they'd be late, so they came at 3:30. They took her home for a few days "sleep over". Got home close to 5, had some coffee & headed back to the center for a foster meeting. The only thing I ate all day was a protein bar for 200 cal, so I had 1200 cal left to eat. It was mainly finger foods plus I had 3 cookies so I don't know if I went over but I'm so not used to eating like that anymore, I felt so awful the rest of the evening. So this morning I was planning to be totaly wiped out from all that activity, but I don't feel that bad. Mayby because the weather is so nice. It was 66 at 7am instead of 80. I mowed the back & took dogs to dog park by 8:30. I was going to go volunteer but I'm spending the afternoon with my best friend across town & my kitchen is a mess, so I'm cleaning it & skipping the center today.Rachel0778, I do hope the gym works out for you, try to keep an open mind
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @Evamutt I'd be starving if I only ate a protein bar! No wonder you felt sick after. I hope today goes smoother for you.

Happy Friday Everyone! The class last night was good, but I definitely felt like an outsider. Most of the women were older Moms who knew eachother and I didn't feel like I quite fit in. Hopefully the gym on Monday will have a different vibe. Today my bike ride with my SO is cancelled since it is supposed to storm ALL DAY. Grr.... Seriously it has been thunderstorming all week. I just want a not muggy, humid, stormy day but I doubt that's happening any time soon. I think my SO and I are going to hit up a local winery instead so I at least still get a date, even if it's not as active as I wanted.

zgxlzcjdghdj.jpg
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I've had a busy few days and gotten away from logging :( But things are calming down. I've finished working at the amusement park for now and I'm trying to get back on track. Woot! Went to a yoga class this morning - I've tried it on my own before but this was my first class. It was SOOO awesome!
  • connorbambam98
    connorbambam98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ShyCush6 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been a member here for a while, I dropped out for a bit and now am motivated to get back into the action. Recently joined a gym and I'm working at this. My best success was a group of people who shared almost daily and motivated and pushed each other. We shared struggles, success and just overall frustration and joy! I'm looking to find those core people again. Create friendship and get to a healthy lifestyle! I plan on checking in daily, I'm bad on the weekends, but I will try harder. Please share in this group if you are looking for a core group to help you get to where you want to be. I don't care if you have 20 or 100 lbs to lose, I promise to be a good cheerleader! =)

I know this was posted a long time ago and I can still see so many people commenting would just like to know how you've got on from then to now
  • Evamutt
    Options
    hope everyone's week end is going well. I usually wear myself out first thing in the morning with dogs. Yesterday I took my dogs out, then got to act(animal compassion team) by 8, walked dogs for an hour, came home to eat, shower etc & went back for the afternoon. When I got there, there was this poor little dog on the counter hardly breathing & FULL of ticks. A person called & told them about him laying in a yard so they went & got him.Took more than an hour to get the ticks off.There was only one other volunteer (they all left after the morning cleaning) so I held down the office & showed ppl dogs who came in while the 2 staff members were pulling ticks. I was so tired when I got home. So today I'm staying home & cleaning some(already took my dogs out) & going to pool at the gym & get ready for my trip on the bus tomorrow to finally see my new grandson. He's 3 weeks old. My dtr moved 3hrs away 2yrs ago & comes to visit every month but hasn't due to her pregnancy & giving birth. I have anxiety because I don't like being away from home over night. DH will stay home with the dogs, but I HATE leaving them & he only walks one of them on his walk so they won't get to go out till I get back & they won't know where I am. I'll be back late Tuesday night. They eat healthy there, I know I don't like using that term, but my son in law is manager of Whole Foods so that's where they shop & my grandson's (the other two are 7&9) favorite snack is seaweed snacks & my grand dtr's favorite food is salmon. Neither one has ever had soda, they drink losts of water. weird I know.They love my cooking so they want me to make them my chicken & rice. I don't sleep well anywhere at night either & they do switch beds a lot during the night. Someone usually ends up on the couch where I'm going to sleep. They live in a tiny apartment so they spend a lot of time out doors. They always lived in a bigger house with a yard but it's very expensive where they live. I also have 2 grand dogs there. Didn't mean to make this so long