Are eggs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anyone for a cadburys cream egg.........???????.......now that IS a bad egg!!!!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We have chickens!! In my family we eat a lot of eggs. The whole thing and it hasn't harmed us at all. My husband and kids eat them more than I do (which I need to change that) but anyways it hasn't harmed them at all. They are very active and I myself am trying to work my way up to being as active as them so I can keep up with them!
  • Erica002
    Options

LOL!!! So true, but oh so good!
  • Erica002
    Options
    Whoops! I forgot,
    There's not a single reputable study that has linked eating cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The same as eating liver doesn't give you a bigger liver, or eating hearts give you more hearts,
    That.

I've done a lot of manipulations to my diet (my consumption of food, not a fad diet) over the last two years. And after all that, where I'm at now is great. I consume 10-15 whole eggs per day, while matching my body weight in grams of protein from other sources. I've also been getting my blood drawn for the last year of this, and my LDL cholesterol has done nothing but gone down.

It's a long story, but in short: I went to a dermatologist, they found problems with my blood work; told me to go to a Liver and Blood doctor. I did, that doctor said I was on a path to diabetes unless I fixed my diet and started exercising. I started - almost 2 years ago now. Lost a total of 60-70 lbs of body fat, now focused on building muscle mass.

TL;DR: I eat 10-15 whole eggs per day, and have fantastic LDL cholesterol (verified by labs once per month).

My mouth just dropped when I read "10-15 whole eggs per day" Good for you!!! I can't seem to get myself to eat just one a day.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Whoops! I forgot,
    There's not a single reputable study that has linked eating cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The same as eating liver doesn't give you a bigger liver, or eating hearts give you more hearts,
    That.

I've done a lot of manipulations to my diet (my consumption of food, not a fad diet) over the last two years. And after all that, where I'm at now is great. I consume 10-15 whole eggs per day, while matching my body weight in grams of protein from other sources. I've also been getting my blood drawn for the last year of this, and my LDL cholesterol has done nothing but gone down.

It's a long story, but in short: I went to a dermatologist, they found problems with my blood work; told me to go to a Liver and Blood doctor. I did, that doctor said I was on a path to diabetes unless I fixed my diet and started exercising. I started - almost 2 years ago now. Lost a total of 60-70 lbs of body fat, now focused on building muscle mass.

TL;DR: I eat 10-15 whole eggs per day, and have fantastic LDL cholesterol (verified by labs once per month).

My mouth just dropped when I read "10-15 whole eggs per day" Good for you!!! I can't seem to get myself to eat just one a day.
    pinch of salt & pepper, then smother them with Tabasco sauce.

Heaven doesn't taste this good!
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options

LOL!!! So true, but oh so good!

May need to research the calories on that one.....think the kids have one lurking around from easter!!!! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

Slightly off topic, but I think you're using the term "processed" here very broadly. Letting full fat milk sit so the fat rises to the top in order to be skimmed off just doesn't fall under my idea of "processed".

I only wish that WAS how they still made skimmed milk.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eggs are one of the most nutritional food sources money can buy. All the good nutrition and fat is in the yolk. The also contain all the taste. One egg is only 70 calories. Eating eggs doesn't raise cholesterol no matter how many you eat. Fat to include saturated fat is not all in all unhealthy. Oh and cook them with real fat not grain based oils. 1 tbsp of bacon grease or butter makes all the difference in flavor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this is you specifically so please don’t take offense, but I find it funny that a lot of the people on here that advocate whole foods will use egg beaters, skim milk, and other obviously processed products.

Slightly off topic, but I think you're using the term "processed" here very broadly. Letting full fat milk sit so the fat rises to the top in order to be skimmed off just doesn't fall under my idea of "processed".

Agree this is off topic of eggs, but why would anyone want to drink unprocessed milk. Pasteurizaiton of milk is good thing. Not everything natural is good for you.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options

Agree this is off topic of eggs, but why would anyone want to drink unprocessed milk. Pasteurizaiton of milk is good thing. Not everything natural is good for you.
    Exactly and though I realize that it's much more complicated than just letting the fat rise - I don't think it's fair to lump skim milk into the processed foods category.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I believe the german word for protein is eiweiss, which also means egg white. :tongue:
  • thanish
    thanish Posts: 24
    Options
    Whoops! I forgot,
    That.

Thats great to hear. A man with the experience and the result. Although for me i would say 10-15 is a lot but the idea is absolutely there. Eggs are not bad !
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    eggs do have a lot of protein.....but i usually eat egg subsitute . its healthier, and i add my own stuff with it too make low in calorie and fat.
  • dakuma21
    dakuma21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are great and healthy. The fat is good and helps keep you full along with many B vitamins in the yolk, so you feel full and have sustained energy. Eggs do not effect your cholesterol as dietary cholesterol has no role in your serum cholesterol levels. If you want to save calories you can do egg whites or do egg whites and at least one whole egg.

I prefer the whole egg as do many others I know. I enjoy hard boiled eggs with hot sauce or I make omelets. I usually do 3 egg whites and one or two whole eggs.

Ive seen bodybuilders that eat 6-8 whole eggs a day and post their lab works showing there cholesterol is maintained.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just wondering because they do seem to have a lot of calories and a lot of fat. I eat a loootttttt of eggs. They make up at least part of my breakfast almost 6 days a week. Any help would be appreciated :) ( as a side note, I do eat the yolk, I don't really see the point of just eating the whites, there is no protein in them)

no they are NOT. eggs are GREAT for you actually.

they're not high in fat either. they're loaded with protein, they're low in calories.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    3-4 scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast with yogurt and skim/fat free milk. The whole "fear the yolk" thing is a myth.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    eggs do have a lot of protein.....but i usually eat egg subsitute . its healthier, and i add my own stuff with it too make low in calorie and fat.

There is absolutely no evidence that egg substitutes are "healthier." Here is the Eggbeaters ingredient list:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

I'll take a REAL egg any day!!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

There is absolutely no evidence that egg substitutes are "healthier." Here is the Eggbeaters ingredient list:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

I'll take a REAL egg any day!!

Agreed. Fewer calories does not mean healthier.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Exactly and though I realize that it's much more complicated than just letting the fat rise - I don't think it's fair to lump skim milk into the processed foods category.

I am not talking about pasteurization; that is simply heating the milk. To make skim milk they add skim milk powder. Skim milk powder is made by forcing liquid milk through a tiny hole at high pleasure, blowing it out in the air and then collecting it. This process causes the formation of nitrates and oxidizes the cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to atherosclerosis, where as natural cholesterol does not.

Still think skim milk is not a processed food.?
  • minirif
    minirif Posts: 3
    Options
    Someone asked what to do with the yolks from separating your egg yolks/whites....

They actually make an AMAZING facial mask! Seriously! Spread the yolk on your face and leave it for 15 minutes 3 times per week. You'll be amazed! I've done this my entire life and have perfect skin. I store my in tupperware in the fridge until I'm ready to use it.