2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Replies

• Mdpats11
    Mdpats11 Posts: 143 Member
    Would love to be adopted. Could use a good butt kicking =)
  • susie_q1968
    susie_q1968 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi I am 48 yr and I need to lose 200+ Ibs my family docter has sent me to a dietician a year ago and am having troubles losing weight I can lose than gain like a yoyo.I have the app to check of my meals and calories.I really need the help and motivation to get this weight off.I have been struggling all my life with weight I am at my highest weight I have ever been at I will say how much I weigh 327.4 Ibs yikes is right I am only 5ft.small frame my bones hurt My family docter says I need to lose for my own health so I do not suffer.So can I be adopted Please,PLEASE ,Please
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Adopt me! Just had my 6th baby 6 months ago. I'm 5'4" and at 175. I'd like to drop 40 pounds. I just turned 39.
  • emilyb117
    emilyb117 Posts: 56 Member
    I will accept one or two newbies who would like a mentor!

I've been on MFP for a few years (on and off) and have lost a total of about 20 pounds.

I am following an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) program. I go to the gym about 4 times a week (lifting and HIIT/cardio).

My diet & exercise logs are open to my friends, so go ahead and add me if you'd like to take a look.

If you're interested in a mentor, feel free to message me. All I ask is that you stick with it and log regularly! I will be there for any questions you have about the process, will try my best to motivate you, and will do regular progress check-ins!

Anyone is welcome, whether you have 5 pounds to lose or 500. :)
  • raziak528
    raziak528 Posts: 14 Member
    Looking for a mentor. I need to lose 40 lbs preferably in the next 6-7 months. I log everything to a T every day and I'm looking for someone to help me determine cals macros and general questions & motivation regarding it. I work out 3x a week doing HIIT/weights
  • CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    raziak528 wrote: »
    Looking for a mentor. I need to lose 40 lbs preferably in the next 6-7 months. I log everything to a T every day and I'm looking for someone to help me determine cals macros and general questions & motivation regarding it. I work out 3x a week doing HIIT/weights

Right off the bat, when I see you're doing HIIT and weights, you'll have a hard time losing weight when you're gaining muscle mass by those exercises alone. The question is, are you trying to drop weight, or obtain a certain physique?? There's many questions that need to be asked/answered.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member

Right off the bat, when I see you're doing HIIT and weights, you'll have a hard time losing weight when you're gaining muscle mass by those exercises alone. The question is, are you trying to drop weight, or obtain a certain physique?? There's many questions that need to be asked/answered.

Maybe some noob gains, but you're not going to gain much, if any mass in a deficit. HIIT is great for burning cals and losing weight. Weights are great for maintaining what you have so you look good when all the fat is gone (and it will burn a few cals too).
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member

for your questions...assuming 7 months you're going to need to cut ~1.4#/week to reach your goal. I did 45 in seven months, so it's doable (that sucked though). I'd start with what MFP gives you for a 1#/week loss at lightly active(better if you have a fitbit...this will get you a little closer to actual), let your exercise create the rest of the deficit, then adjust you're intake as necessary after 4-6 weeks. Good luck
  • raziak528
    raziak528 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2017

for your questions...assuming 7 months you're going to need to cut ~1.4#/week to reach your goal. I did 45 in seven months, so it's doable (that sucked though). I'd start with what MFP gives you for a 1#/week loss at lightly active(better if you have a fitbit...this will get you a little closer to actual), let your exercise create the rest of the deficit, then adjust you're intake as necessary after 4-6 weeks. Good luck

I am mostly doing HIIT with light weights to just tone. MFP gave me a 1200 cal a day but I haven't been losing (for the past month) anything so I just recently moved my cals to 1400 with my BMR is 1700. Is that a safe assumption? Also I set my macros as such: 31 grams of fat, 123 grams of protein, 158 grams of carbohydrates, would I need to hit all of those macros to see results?
  • sakram373
    sakram373 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi everyone.... I'm in need of adoption.

I'm 38, looking to lose 30kg with long term goals, serious about weight loss and getting healthy.
    I started to gain weight after a car accident left me with severe pain, poor mobility and low mood

Looking to get back on track.....
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    please adopt me, I desperately need to know how to plan menus with the correct macros and total cals

60kg to lose, on day 9 but been eating the same 3 meals every day since the start, feeling like I'm gonna order 12 pieces of KFC and all the extras

• GrumpyDumpty
    GrumpyDumpty Posts: 234 Member
    Not your usual noob
    I have been around here for 571 days to be exact. I used to weigh 20 stone but brought that down to 12. (280 to 168 pounds). But due to I'll health and sheer laziness I rebounded to 15 stone 5, 217 pounds. My goals are to get fit and lean.

The reason I need a mentor is that I want someone to motivate and help me, someone I can ask for support help and guidance. I need accountability and a sense of pride back. If your interested add me and drop me a message
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    I'm happy to mentor anyone who needs a little extra support. I've lost and gained and lost again, so I know what it's like to fall into bad habits. Since January I've lost over 40 lbs and am within 5 lbs of my goal weight, through regular cardio and healthy eating. I'm not an expert on exercise, but I can help with developing healthy eating habits and learning how to cook low-calorie recipes at home. Shoot me a message or add me if you need some guidance!
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    New, 54 year old, ex-smoker, 5'10'', 232 lbs. I hope to get some male friends and offer/receive encouragement.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2017
    29, male 5' 6" 178 - want to go to ~155 and also work on body comp.
    Sign me up!
  • ReddOnMyHead
    ReddOnMyHead Posts: 1 Member
    I'd like to be adopted if possible! I'm very new here so I'm not very knowledgeable about the boards or what all the app even does.
    I'm a 36 year old female, from Cincinnati, Ohio. No children but have a close knit family. My life is pretty busy with work, family and the Lord. Would prefer a Christian mentor or at least someone that is OK with God being my number 1 priority above all else. I have dieted and lost weight in the past but I am in a really deep "funk" where I've gained 40lbs in the last yr and a half. I work at a sit down job & even tho I sit most of the day I'm so drained at the end of the day that I make every excuse to not be active when I get off.
    I started a biggest loser competition through work that started yesterday and did ok so far. If anyone would like to adopt I'm open to it
  • esperanzab93
    esperanzab93 Posts: 24 Member
    edited August 2017
    Im not really a newbie, but an in-and-out getting discouraged and starting again newbie lol. Definitely need a mentor if anyone has the time. :) I am 24, 5'4" and 178 lb. My goal is to be about 135-140. Can also mentor if anyone wants. I am very determined to encourage others. I love inspiring people to be better versions of themselves :)
  • Janealls70
    Janealls70 Posts: 2 Member
    Im a newbie, would like some advice. I have about 25lbs to lose, and find my mind starts to do me in, in the evenings, and weekends. I can hold myself to a meal plan while I am at work but when I get home or on the weekends, I think to myself Oh Ive been "good" I can have this or that and then it just spirals, I dont even have snacks on hand, I have to actually take myself somewhere (drive through, CVS at the time) . Then I feel bad about it and get back on track on Monday's, been doing this my entire adult life, and need a push or tips on how to get my mindset in the right direction. I just started walking in the evenings, I need help when SAT morning comes around and I think I can just drive myself to MCD's and get a biscuit lol....HELP :smile:
  • mamajaime388
    mamajaime388 Posts: 7 Member
    I'd love to be adopted. I'm a 39 year old woman who has been overweight my whole life. I also have PCOS. If there is a mentor out there that is following keto, I would love some guidance. I'm about 5 or 6 weeks in, and doing pretty well, but could always use support. Anyone can also feel free to friend me, and we can help motivate each other!
  • nickitynic
    nickitynic Posts: 10 Member
    I'm up for adoption :blush: I'm female, late 30's Aussie have PCOS and work from home. I've been on here before and the logging and accountability and global motivating friendships lead to me losing 20kg and I kept it off for over 2 years. Then I moved back to a colder/rainier climate and in with a fantastic cook partner and I got lazy, did the classic 'gain more than I lost'. I also have some lower back and knee injuries which I am working on. Looking for someone who perhaps has some similarities and/or who gets the challenges especially around PCOS. I've done it before and I can do it again!! Help??
This discussion has been closed.