30 Days No Junk No Soda !!

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    HarryPro wrote: »
    You guys really get upset over the littlest thing huh? I feel like the diets you folks are on must be making you miserable that you need to lash out so often.

ironic..

you said that fast food is "poison" and we want to know how exactly it is poison...

Extremely ironic. ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I decided to make some diet changes I swore off Soda, Candy, and Fast Food.

Eh, depending on how one defines fast food (does Pret count? it's pretty darn fast?) and ignoring my occasional LaCroix (isn't that soda?) and diet Coke/ginger ale, I never really ate this stuff even before MFP. Not because it's "poison" (I don't think it is, and generalizing about fast food and all candy -- even the homemade stuff? -- is hard to do), but because my indulgences are different ones.

So cutting it out wouldn't be worthwhile for me (as I don't eat it).

It seems a strange thing to fixate on given how much else goes into having a good diet. If those things were foods I enjoyed, I'd be more proud of myself for eating an overall nutritious diet with sensible calories and lots of vegetables, personally, than whether or not I totally eliminated something I liked.

But whatever.

(I do think OP trying a 30 day change if she thinks foods are too significant part of her diet is reasonable, just not that well defined for others joining in if that's what she wants. I cut out added sugar for 30 days as an experiment and then added it back in moderation. For some of us limited term challenges can be helpful. But I HATE the idea that not eating specific demonized foods is what nutrition is all about, whereas if you eat the nutrient-dense foods in the variety needed to get in everything on limited calories, you won't be eating so called "junk" in excess anyway.)

Fair enough but I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who believed eating candy fastfood and soda every day was wise. In fact, I suspect a doctor looking at a habitual diet of these things would suggest that it would harm your quality of life over time ... yaknow, like poison ;)
    Err, no. Just no.
    Doctors know squat about nutrition, anyway.
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I decided to make some diet changes I swore off Soda, Candy, and Fast Food.

Eh, depending on how one defines fast food (does Pret count? it's pretty darn fast?) and ignoring my occasional LaCroix (isn't that soda?) and diet Coke/ginger ale, I never really ate this stuff even before MFP. Not because it's "poison" (I don't think it is, and generalizing about fast food and all candy -- even the homemade stuff? -- is hard to do), but because my indulgences are different ones.

It seems a strange thing to fixate on given how much else goes into having a good diet. If those things were foods I enjoyed, I'd be more proud of myself for eating an overall nutritious diet with sensible calories and lots of vegetables, personally, than whether or not I totally eliminated something I liked.

But whatever.

(I do think OP trying a 30 day change if she thinks foods are too significant part of her diet is reasonable, just not that well defined for others joining in if that's what she wants. I cut out added sugar for 30 days as an experiment and then added it back in moderation. For some of us limited term challenges can be helpful. But I HATE the idea that not eating specific demonized foods is what nutrition is all about, whereas if you eat the nutrient-dense foods in the variety needed to get in everything on limited calories, you won't be eating so called "junk" in excess anyway.)

Fair enough but I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who believed eating candy fastfood and soda every day was wise. In fact, I suspect a doctor looking at a habitual diet of these things would suggest that it would harm your quality of life over time ... yaknow, like poison ;)
    Err, no. Just no.
    Doctors know squat about nutrition, anyway.

Ok.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

But whatever.

Can you point to where someone is advocating building a diet of primarily candy, fast food, and soda? Do you understand that there is a middle ground between eating a diet comprised primarily of "junk" (whatever your definition of junk is, as @lemurcat12 pointed out, there are a lot of definitions) and considering it poison and something that should never be consumed in any quantity or frequency?

Additionally, if a person is getting adequate nutrition and is at a healthy weight, why would a doctor have an issue with them incorporating these foods into their diet on a daily basis? Does eating a cheeseburger for lunch every day negate the benefits of a veggie omelet for breakfast, some salmon, quinoa, and broccoli for dinner? You do realize that fast food is not all double whoppers and super size fries, right? There are countless examples of people even here on MFP who incorporate fast food into their diets on a regular basis with no adverse effects and in fact, overall health and fitness improvements in line with their overall regimen.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    Don't listen to the neigh sayers. In boot camp we didn't get soda for 3 months. Day before graduation is family day. We all went to Burger King and we were writhing in pain all night muscles hurt so bad. Our Drill instructors laughed at us, they see it every class and knew what was coming. How I got back into that poison I don't know. I too am cutting out soda but everything else in moderation.

what is this connection between drinking diet soda and writhing in muscle pain?

I drink diet soda before I go to the gym with zero issues...

Good it works for you but not everyone.

"Carbonation causes many people to feel bloated, particularly if consumed quickly or in large amounts. Drinking soda or other carbonated drinks causes excess air to build up in your stomach, resulting in bloating. Being bloated is likely to make exercise more difficult because that full feeling interferes with efficiency and may slow you down. In addition, that air in your belly may cause you to burp, creating more discomfort that may hinder your performance."

From this article:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/517219-the-effects-of-carbonated-drinks-on-exercising/

And that's why we were designed to fart and burp.

So farting isn't just for clearing rooms and getting to the front of the line, then!

And you want to eat or drink something that causes stomach issues before woeking out?

Go for it
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

But whatever.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Dr with more than a limited knowledge of anything nutrition related.

To be honest a registered dietitian (who does have extensive knowledge of nutrition) would have issues with eating candy, fast food and drinking regular soda on a daily basis for thexample vast majority of the population.

I would hope that someone who was educated in nutrition would have a more nuanced view than "It's poison." If an RD couldn't or wouldn't acknowledge the difference between foods that may keep you from meeting your nutritional and calorie goals and poison, I'd seek another RD.

My comment didn't call anythin poison. I would not expect a Registered Dietitian to call any untainted food poison.

• sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    And I learned that Subway sells Whoppers. You really do learn something new every day!