Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Hi all! After way too much time off from any sort of working out I've decided to start strong curves again. The last time I did it, a few years ago, I was in a deficit and not eating nearly enough. This time I'd like to try to recomp for the first time.

My question is.. Should I eat right at maintenance or slightly under since I have a little flab I'd like to get rid of?

I am a restaurant server and probably get an average of 10k steps a day (based on my phone that I keep in my apron at work). I'm 5' 3" with a small frame and weigh around 113 with not a lot of muscle but a decent amount of excess fat. I was going to try starting at 1750 cals a day.. Does that sounds about right or would that be a little on the low side since I'll be doing strong curves as well?

Ultimate goal is to build muscle but especially glutes, lose fat and eventually look slim but kind of ripped if that makes sense haha..I just want to make sure this plan will put me on the right track.

Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Depending on how frequent and duration of those workouts - depends - could be close, probably low.

250 cal deficit while you start back up not bad idea if excess fat available to lose.

Betty pretty soon you'll want the energy for good workouts and need to lose the deficit.

Thank you! My goal is to do 4 days a week for roughly 45 min to an hour, depending how long it takes me to get through the program.
  • LC4509
    LC4509 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok so I'm just after some opinions. I am 5'8, 131 pounds but I'm not happy with a few things - main thing being my stomach as it sticks out (actually looks better in the pictures than it is).

I initially went on a deficit and lost several pounds but had to stop as people were commenting that I looked unhealthy as nothing came off my stomach, but from other areas. Annoying but I'm well aware that you can't spot reduce!

Judging from the pictures, would you say I'm carrying excess fat and is recomping the way to go seeing as I can't have overall fat loss without becoming unhealthy looking?
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @LC4509 I agree with @craigo3154 what you're seeing is likely posture and musculature, not fat. Tight psoas muscles can actually create a poochy looking stomach. Pilates might also help.

i found this article helpful (I have a lot of work to do on my posture)

https://corewalking.com/pot-belly-stomach-pot-belly-stomach/
  • LC4509
    LC4509 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 @sak20011
    Thanks for the responses. That's interesting, I'll have to look into that. The only thing that makes me think otherwise though is when I'm on all fours or in a plank position, my belly will kind of hang down but not just slightly, it's quite a lot; too much for my frame I think and I always thought it was due to fat because I can completely suck it in.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LC4509 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm just after some opinions. I am 5'8, 131 pounds but I'm not happy with a few things - main thing being my stomach as it sticks out (actually looks better in the pictures than it is).

I initially went on a deficit and lost several pounds but had to stop as people were commenting that I looked unhealthy as nothing came off my stomach, but from other areas. Annoying but I'm well aware that you can't spot reduce!

Judging from the pictures, would you say I'm carrying excess fat and is recomping the way to go seeing as I can't have overall fat loss without becoming unhealthy looking?

Id work on your core more ,it could be weak core muscles too.look up stomach vacuum exercises,it has helped me out quite a bit.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Try doing planks, they will help to tighten up your stomach. True, you can't spot reduce, but you can concentrate (do more/different) exercises that work that body part.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LC4509 wrote: »

A recomp might work but one of the underlying issues is lack of lean body mass. There may come a point where you would have bulk and cut for a cycle or more.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    How do you achieve something you cant imagine? This is my problem. I realized that is why I've pretty much been *kitten* around for the last 18 months. I cant imagine myself being muscular and lean. Yes I've weighed less than I do now, so I can imagine it but even then I was flabby. I've never been lean in my life and I've certainly never been muscular. Yes, I look at other men and I think "I'd love to have a body like that" but I cant actually imagine my head on that body. I just cant picture it. I have no idea how ...

@Morgaen73

Step back from the ultimate end point which may seem unobtainable right now and focus on steady improvement.
    That way every day/week/month you progress is a victory rather than a failure of not being where you dream to be.
    That helps buy into the process and it's the process that brings your goal closer.

Thank you very much.
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Good morning, I recently posted here but have another question. As previously stated, I'm doing strong curves 4 days a week and I'm a restaurant server and average roughly 10k steps a day.

Starting tomorrow, my job is closing for 10 days for renovations. I don't plan on making up the steps in other ways (at least not fully), how much should I lower my calories for the next 10 days until we reopen?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I recently posted here but have another question. As previously stated, I'm doing strong curves 4 days a week and I'm a restaurant server and average roughly 10k steps a day.

Starting tomorrow, my job is closing for 10 days for renovations. I don't plan on making up the steps in other ways (at least not fully), how much should I lower my calories for the next 10 days until we reopen?

Impossible to answer with info given.

So you'll know how to handle for the future, because life is nothing if not changes.

Are you using MFP as designed - meaning activity level selected was correct (probably lightly active) and exercise logged and eaten when done?

Or average weekly TDEE method - meaning daily and exercise for the week (probably Moderately Active), then eat the same daily?

Either case - back the levels down one to what is reality.

On both methods - calorie goal will of course lower. Eat that now until activity level changes again.
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Impossible to answer with info given.

So you'll know how to handle for the future, because life is nothing if not changes.

Are you using MFP as designed - meaning activity level selected was correct (probably lightly active) and exercise logged and eaten when done?

Or average weekly TDEE method - meaning daily and exercise for the week (probably Moderately Active), then eat the same daily?

Either case - back the levels down one to what is reality.

On both methods - calorie goal will of course lower. Eat that now until activity level changes again.

Thank you! I've been using the weekly average TDEE method, only trouble is I don't have enough data yet to accurately figure out my actual TDEE. I have MFP set to active, but I custom set my calories slightly lower because my estimates put me between lightly active and active.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Yay me! I've read this whole thing.

I'm about 2 lbs from goal, 127.2 this morning, goal is 125. I could quit on the deficit now, but I'm being stubborn. I gained my weight after a cycling accident, then an ailment, both of which turned me into something of a couch potato. In addition to to weight gain, I lost a lot of muscle mass.

I recently started full body weight training 3x a week. Other days I try to do something cardio, but outdoors while the weather is still good and there is plenty of daylight. Once that is gone I will probably convert to 4x splits upper and lower. I have weight trained in years past so I have some grasp.

BTW, I'm 62 y.o. if that matters (I don't think it does.)

Just wanted to introduce myself, say Hi, and bump the thread. I'm sure I will have dumb and repetitive questions later.

I would say you are at goal most likely because weight fluctuates you wont be just one number of weight. set yourself a range. say 125-130.. this way it will allow for water weight and other fluctuations that you will have especially if you are upping your weight training
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I'm about 2 lbs from goal, 127.2 this morning, goal is 125. I could quit on the deficit now, but I'm being stubborn. I gained my weight after a cycling accident, then an ailment, both of which turned me into something of a couch potato. In addition to to weight gain, I lost a lot of muscle mass.

I recently started full body weight training 3x a week. Other days I try to do something cardio, but outdoors while the weather is still good and there is plenty of daylight. Once that is gone I will probably convert to 4x splits upper and lower. I have weight trained in years past so I have some grasp.

Just wanted to introduce myself, say Hi, and bump the thread. I'm sure I will have dumb and repetitive questions later.

I would say you are at goal most likely because weight fluctuates you wont be just one number of weight. set yourself a range. say 125-130.. this way it will allow for water weight and other fluctuations that you will have especially if you are upping your weight training

I completely understand and you are probably right. I'm tracking my daily weight using Libra and the 127 is on the low end of my range. I don't fluctuate much, maybe a pound to a pound & a half. So I am running a deficit for a bit longer and building up my workout so I can avoid the worst of DOMS. If I don't hit the goal weight in the next couple of weeks, I'll prolly go on to maintenance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Id stick with a 3 day as long as you make progress, whether that is 3 months or a year, and as long as you can recover from it. Once you start to plateau on your lifts then id consider a 4 or 5 day intermediate routine.