Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    After reading 10 pages of this thread I have to say I'm fascinated. I'm thinking this is a thing I need to try. I tend to go bonkers on veggies and fruit. I'll usually make something with a protein and think "here is multiple servings of this veg. I can have some for lunch tomorrow." Then I eat ALL the veg. I may have to try this with more thought and structure.

Yeah! Set your meals up around your protein and all that veg. Fruit can be high volume for some, but for me it's not filling and I find it calorie dense, maybe with the exception of berries. But I do know some volume eaters who do a lot of fruit.

I am one of thoses. I eat 300 to 600g most days. Now, if you stay low gi fruits, you can get a ton of volume (blue berries, raspberries, black berries, etc.. )
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    After reading 10 pages of this thread I have to say I'm fascinated. I'm thinking this is a thing I need to try. I tend to go bonkers on veggies and fruit. I'll usually make something with a protein and think "here is multiple servings of this veg. I can have some for lunch tomorrow." Then I eat ALL the veg. I may have to try this with more thought and structure.

Yeah! Set your meals up around your protein and all that veg. Fruit can be high volume for some, but for me it's not filling and I find it calorie dense, maybe with the exception of berries. But I do know some volume eaters who do a lot of fruit.

I am one of thoses. I eat 300 to 600g most days. Now, if you stay low gi fruits, you can get a ton of volume (blue berries, raspberries, black berries, etc.. )

Strawberries for me - I can eat a pound of those in a couple minutes!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yeah. I maintain on 1800 calories so I'm not throwing around fruit calories lightly. My life sucks.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I take frozen vegetables, mix in some broth, and blend the crap out of them. This I use as a replacement of lentils/rice/etc as the volumizer material in meat stews/stirfrys/etc. It's like half a kilo of "stuff" for a couple of hundred calories, and even many of those only sorta-count Because Fibre.

Intrigued...
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take frozen vegetables, mix in some broth, and blend the crap out of them. This I use as a replacement of lentils/rice/etc as the volumizer material in meat stews/stirfrys/etc. It's like half a kilo of "stuff" for a couple of hundred calories, and even many of those only sorta-count Because Fibre.

So, could I use this "volumizer" using broccoli/cauliflower in an egg-white puff (baked)....hmm....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »

So, could I use this "volumizer" using broccoli/cauliflower in an egg-white puff (baked)....hmm....

Sure! I personally gag on cauliflower :tongue: so that blend wouldn't work for me. But in general, any smooshable veggie will do!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Does anyone else around here make protein fluff? I LOVE it. It's so freaking filling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Z028prSU

All you need is protein powder, xanthan gum and your choice of low-fat chilled liquid (water, almond milk, diet soda, juice, blended frozen berries, etc.).

It's ridiculously filling for only the calories of your scoop of protein powder. It does make you feel quite bloated though!

I like making chocolate protein fluff with added cocoa powder and almond milk. :)

I tried it, thought it was horrible.. straight into the trash. :#
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Does anyone else around here make protein fluff? I LOVE it. It's so freaking filling.

All you need is protein powder, xanthan gum and your choice of low-fat chilled liquid (water, almond milk, diet soda, juice, blended frozen berries, etc.).

It's ridiculously filling for only the calories of your scoop of protein powder. It does make you feel quite bloated though!

I like making chocolate protein fluff with added cocoa powder and almond milk. :)

Next time you decide to try it add a sweetener and some other flavoring agent, I like mango extract or Pb2+caramel extract. On its own it's pretty bland and not sweet at all.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Probably depends a lot on what kind of protein powder and what flavour you use as well! I use Optimum Nutrition Casein Chocolate and I really like it.
  • ElvenToad
    edited August 2017
    Options

Next time you decide to try it add a sweetener and some other flavoring agent, I like mango extract or Pb2+caramel extract. On its own it's pretty bland and not sweet at all.

It was a whole bag of frozen strawberries, 60g of ON whey in vanilla, and 8oz almond milk. I didn't use any sweetener so that very well could be what went wrong but it was like eating whipped air.. the flavor/texture was so bad I just couldn't do it. And let me tell you after standing there for 10 minutes with the hand beaters on I wasn't too happy about that :(

Now the youtuber who showed me how to make protein ice cream in a blender... they are my hero! Same volume as the fluff, 160ish calories and it tastes amazing. Been eating that everyday for months now so my belly is quite happy and I haven't gotten sick of it yet haha!

Quest Salted Caramel PP and Quest cookies n cream PP are the best but I also like making it with ON mint chocolate chip caesin pp... I'm a bit obsessed :D
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @ElvenToad those are my 2 fave quest flavors and they are just here screaming to be made into ice cream now. Can you share vid or provide quick instructions?

ETA - found a gazillion vids on YT. Just a thick shake and then put back in freezer for a bit?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I've come to prefer protein ice cream. @ElvenToad shared how to make it in the protein cheesecake thread and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Edit: Ah, I see she's shared it in the post right above mine!

My tips if you have a less than ideal blender like I do ... I use the ice crusher setting and keep pulsing it, stir, pulse, stir, pulse... it gets the job done.

When everything is all slushy, add the protein powder, stir in in a bit, turn the blender on, and I have to stir from the top while the blender blends from the bottom.

The finished product is worth it. I'm about to go make some now.

I have mine with Hershey's Lite Syrup and the gluten free equivalent of Cocoa Krispies sprinkled on top.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

It was a whole bag of frozen strawberries, 60g of ON whey in vanilla, and 8oz almond milk. I didn't use any sweetener so that very well could be what went wrong but it was like eating whipped air.. the flavor/texture was so bad I just couldn't do it. And let me tell you after standing there for 10 minutes with the hand beaters on I wasn't too happy about that :(

Now the youtuber who showed me how to make protein ice cream in a blender... they are my hero! Same volume as the fluff, 160ish calories and it tastes amazing. Been eating that everyday for months now so my belly is quite happy and I haven't gotten sick of it yet haha!

Quest Salted Caramel PP and Quest cookies n cream PP are the best but I also like making it with ON mint chocolate chip caesin pp... I'm a bit obsessed :D

Quest peanut butter PP is pretty good in it too. I've been making it every day since you shared it in the protein cheesecake thread. I like it much better than protein fluff.
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    [/quote]

I've come to prefer protein ice cream. @ElvenToad shared how to make it in the protein cheesecake thread and I've been enjoying it ever since.[/quote]

I wish I could high five you so hard right now B)
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    That is so awesome, I will have to try the peanut butter! I did order samples from quest of the cookies n cream and the cinnamon crunch because I had never tried those before. I like Quests cookies n cream MUCH better than ON's version. I really didn't care for the cinnamon crunch at all so I'm glad I didn't buy a whole tub of it.

Off to order more samples!!