August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    August Goal - 120 Miles

8/1/17 - 4.02 Easy

I will be doing all of my base building miles in z2/z3 avoiding any threshold / vo2max stuff until i get back to 40+ miles a week and lose a few more lbs. I may add in some cadence drills but getting back to logging more time on my feet is needed. Today was cool, raining and dark at 5am so it was a few laps around the hood. I was looking back at my training from last year at I logged a tad over 300 miles for August last year so hopefully getting to that 120 won't hurt too bad.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Amanda2887 wrote: »
    So, this is my first time doing a running challenge. I have never been a big runner, typically walk/jog and have gotten up to doing 3 miles at a time. It has been a while since I have done this so my goal for this month will be 20 miles. I plan on running 1 mile 5 times a week. Each month I plan on increasing it by a half of a mile just to take it slow unless I feel like I need to increase it. I am also in a new neighborhood so finding my new path will be interesting. Another goal is to find my sweet spot so I don't need to walk during my run, I would like to be able to do a long distance run at some point.

Any pointers will be great :smile:

Biggest pointer - Do not compare yourself to anyone on this thread. Some of them are crazy fast and other do crazy mileage. Use a program like RunKeeper, Strava, MapMyFitness, or what ever to track your progress so that you can see your gains over an extended period of time. Take your time and listen to your body.

Also HAVE FUN! :smiley:

And fair warning, do not tell anyone you eat your hot dogs with ketchup on them. *smh*

Awesome advice. I always find myself comparing what I do to others. Here's the thing, when you do that, even if your run faster or more mileage than people, you start feeling inadequate! I'm by no means a fast runner, and my mileage isn't as high as some people's, but I have my goals and I am working toward them as best I can, so I keap that in mind.

Also, don't be afraid to ask question, the experienced runners on here have really helped me become a better runner, and I greatly appreciate their help.

All of this. I am slow and low compared to all of these folks. But I don't compare. I am out there doing my best and it will get better over time!

Also, Thank you for all the support you all have given so far!

@Amanda2887 You know, all miles/kilometers are not created equal amoungst us. Age, terrain, endurance, nutrition, weight, attitude, altitude, cool shoes, and pace are just some of the variables. You'll find newbies to marathoners here. The challenge is of yourself!

And I bet I'm slower than all y'all!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Amanda2887 wrote: »
    So, this is my first time doing a running challenge. I have never been a big runner, typically walk/jog and have gotten up to doing 3 miles at a time. It has been a while since I have done this so my goal for this month will be 20 miles. I plan on running 1 mile 5 times a week. Each month I plan on increasing it by a half of a mile just to take it slow unless I feel like I need to increase it. I am also in a new neighborhood so finding my new path will be interesting. Another goal is to find my sweet spot so I don't need to walk during my run, I would like to be able to do a long distance run at some point.

Any pointers will be great :smile:

Biggest pointer - Do not compare yourself to anyone on this thread. Some of them are crazy fast and other do crazy mileage. Use a program like RunKeeper, Strava, MapMyFitness, or what ever to track your progress so that you can see your gains over an extended period of time. Take your time and listen to your body.

Also HAVE FUN! :smiley:

And fair warning, do not tell anyone you eat your hot dogs with ketchup on them. *smh*

Awesome advice. I always find myself comparing what I do to others. Here's the thing, when you do that, even if your run faster or more mileage than people, you start feeling inadequate! I'm by no means a fast runner, and my mileage isn't as high as some people's, but I have my goals and I am working toward them as best I can, so I keap that in mind.

Also, don't be afraid to ask question, the experienced runners on here have really helped me become a better runner, and I greatly appreciate their help.

All of this. I am slow and low compared to all of these folks. But I don't compare. I am out there doing my best and it will get better over time!

Also, Thank you for all the support you all have given so far!

@Amanda2887 You know, all miles/kilometers are not created equal amoungst us. Age, terrain, endurance, nutrition, weight, attitude, altitude, cool shoes, and pace are just some of the variables. You'll find newbies to marathoners here. The challenge is of yourself!

And I bet I'm slower than all y'all!

I don't know about that slower thing. During my actually running today, my mile was 12:04. No worries. I am only 4 weeks back into running after a long time off. Not worried. Just out there kickin' it as best I can.

Aug 1- 2.02 miles. It felt sooooo good this morning. O dark thirty was 72 degrees. That is so nice for North Texas!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    And I am 100% laughing over the fact that we have brought the hot dog convo into another challenge month. @PastorVincent is a plant for French's Mustard, I just know it! Haha!

Just for you, this is my dinner tonight:
    kf039a1dl2cv.jpg
    :lol:

Ugh, blasphemy!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @seanevan10 my run yesterday was 13:05. My fast pr run this last weekend, 12:03. Gotta beat girl!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks for the honest feedback; it was what I was looking for. I could walk a lot of it and finish but I don't think I want that as my first half marathon experience. Additional thoughts are welcome.

You can do a half with little training, if you don't mind walking a significant distance of it. And if you decide to do it... well come next year you'll be faster and will set a PR.

Check out the cut off times. There usually are plenty of walkers the ones I've done.
    Figure out the distance you can run.
    Do you want to run every other mile and the last 2 or something of the sort? Or are you set on running the entire course?

Just be careful. This is the type of situation that tests rule #1 of running -train smart- always be mindful of being too agressive to quickly.

Everyone is different. You may be able to pull it off- just approach those miles/kilometers with caution. My son made 6 miles in 6 weeks and was able to consistently run 2 miles in 13 minutes. It'd take me 6 months to do that and I'd get no where near his pace.

So, you're the only one that can truly decide if you can do it. Just be ready to reign it in if needed.
    @spencerfiretn1322 : @Elise4270 made a good point about the cut off times! The half marathon I want to run in September for example has a time limit of 2:30 hours. I'm not a fast runner, so I know that I would not be able to finish in that time if I had to do a significant amount of walking mixed in with the running...

Which is the training plan you want to follow, and how fast does it go from 3mi to 13.1mi?

If you want to finish the half marathon well, you should be up to running at least 10 miles before the race day.

There are different suggestions on how to increase your mileage. Some say don't increase the weekly mileage by more than 5-10%. I've also read other suggestions like "increase the distance of your long run by 1mi and the distance of the short runs by 0.5mi each week for three weeks, then take a recovery week where you reduce it again".

From my personal experience, I already found it hard enough to increase from 5km to 10km; I don't think I could have gotten to the point of enjoying a half within three month. I went from first half marathon to first marathon in ~6 month, but that was after running somewhere between 10k and half distances for at least a year before.
    If your goal is to finish and you are determined to put in the effort, you can do it. But I'm not sure how much fun it would be.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey @lporter229 ! Some great goals there, sounds like you're back on track!

My upcoming race schedule.

9/16/17 - Outrun Homelessness 5K, Savage, MN - 5K (Tentative)
    9/23/17 - Surley Trail Loppet, Minneapolis, MN - HM
    10/7/17 - Big Woods Trail Run, Faribault, MN - HM
    1/27/18 - Securian Winter Run, St. Paul, MN - HM
    2/24/18 - Psycho Wyco, Kansas City, KS - 50K (Tentative)
    4/14/18 - Zumbro Endurance Run, Theilman, MN - 50 Mile
    4/28/18 - Chippewa 50K, New Auburn, WI - 50K
    5/19/18 - Superior Spring 50K, Lutsen, MN - 50K (Tentative/Lottery)

I also have a handful of other races picked out through October where if the weather is not conducive to sailing, I'll consider a late entry into those races instead. Included in that is the local Ragnar in August. I've been asked by two teams to join, but I'd rather be sailing if possible.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    It's only August 1st and there are so many posts! Welcome to those just joining!

I'll set a goal of 75 for August. This morning's run was 4.16 at 10:44 min/mi.

MTD: 4.16 / 75
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I seem to have picked up a niggle of sorts in my right heel. It's not PF, I know that. I've had surgery for PF and I know what it feels like. This is a different area of my heel, towards the very back, so I'm thinking it's my achilles. It's not terrible, just annoying. But it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

As Laura now goes and Googles "achilles stretching exercises."
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Jesus Mary and Joseph how are there already four pages of posts on August 1st? Pace yourselves, people!

:smiley:

You're awesome. ;)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @pastorvincent I'm so jealous!!! I love hot dogs. Skip is making me eat healthier since I gained some weight in the last year so it's salmon and veggies for us tonight.
    Those are Hebrew National all beef ones. About as healthy as a hot dog can get. Which is not really saying much I know, but allow me my delusions. :smiley:

@pastorvincent I was delusional with Nathan's, Skip saw some with less calories the other day so we are trying them out this week. I swear I could eat hot dogs every day. @7lenny7 no one wants to know what they are made of, never ever look at the back of the package, ever! BTW I wish you would do some races this fall. :wink:

@respectthekitty ha ha my grandmother used to say that all the time "Jesus, Mary and Joseph .... " ha ha BTW did you win the walk challenge?

@_nikkiwolf_ wow a 2:30 cutoff on a half seems awfully short, that's an 11:30 pace.

hi @lporter229