Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What the Health?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I started watching it last night. I got rage pretty quickly, not sure I'll finish it.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    I'm going to see someone tomorrow who is newly vegan because he watched this movie. I'm going to read a few of these articles linked here, in case he gets preachy.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2017
    I haven't seen it but have heard enough to know I'm not going to bother.. Paleo and Vegan.. Two opposite ends of the scale, yet each will tell you it's the best (or only) option. Each to their own in terms of what people choose to put into their bodies for whatever reasons. I eat meat, but I source it locally and make the effort to know where it's raised and what it's been fed. So from a health point of view, I don't disagree with eating meat or animal products. I do however, disagree with mass produced, inhumanely farmed meat and animal products.

Interesting topic. I like it :)
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2017
    Amy8Lyn wrote: »

Nota bene: Steak/bacon/burger jokes? Are we still doing this? I think there are ways to share your opinions without demeaning or making fun of others beliefs.

lauracups wrote: »
    Was,too busy grilling New York Strip to give it full attention ;)

[/quote]
    Or..you can have a sense of humor, life is too short to take oneself so serious [/quote]
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    I started watching it, made it to about 10-15 minutes before I was annoyed and turned it off. I'm based in Europe, so a lot of the US documentaries on food have that effect on me. I understand that we are raised with a different attitude towards food, but nowadays people can inform themselves on the internet, so watching these films that seem to only show one (quite small) part of what is possible, frustrate me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    My vegan agenda and I enjoyed the film. I do think though as with any food or health documentary you need to do your own

Nota bene: Steak/bacon/burger jokes? Are we still doing this? I think there are ways to share your opinions without demeaning or making fun of others beliefs.

Or..you can have a sense of humor, life is too short to take oneself so serious

I'd have a sense of humor if I didn't hear this multiple times a day, every day.

For some reason it's the only thing Omi people like to say/joke about vegans. I understand that you will not know my frustration as it is not something you have had to deal with, but take my word for it.

Yup ya right, my 48 years of life experiences, dealing with abuse, loss, death, addiction, recovery and learning the VALUE of laughing it off makes me unqualified to understand your frustration. Enjoy the day!

I'm not sure what my frustration with having my ethical choices mocked daily have to do with "48 years of life experiences, dealing with abuse, loss, death, addiction, recovery etc" just because you feel I shouldn't care about mocking jokes doesn't negate my feelings. Just as it wouldn't make your past issues any less important to you. Trust me, I joke and laugh off A LOT of things but eventually you need to stand up for yourself. Should a thin person just "laugh it off" every time someone tells them to eat a burger? No, because after a while it's hurtful. This forum is certainly not the first place I've had to defend my personal habits, because my 36 years of life experiences; domestic violence, dealing with ED, depression, anxiety, loss and disease has taught me the VALUE of sticking up for myself.

Now back to the actual topic, like I said in my OP I do agree that the documentary was overly dramatic, and I also said that some things should be taken with a grain of salt because everyone needs to research their own choices. So, let me clarify; what I did enjoy about the film is the discussion of the link between big Ag, major corporations and our healthcare systems. Many of these major non-profits (Like Susan G. Komen/American Heart Association) are sponsored by huge companies that may not really reflect the mission of the brand.

Also, I would like to note that I am an ethical vegan, not a vegan for health reasons so perhaps my opinion is a little different than some who may try to bash studies and numbers into peoples heads. I don't feel that food should be demonized, that's how people develop unhealthy relationships with food. What I do think is that people need to be empowered and make choices for themselves, and if a (flawed) documentary lights a fire and helps them decide to make positive changes or sparks them to start to do some research, I consider that a win.

I rather see people empowered to make choices by themselves by exposure to scientifically accurate information and not scare mongering garbage. I rather people make informed decisions than make decisions based on fear and cherry picked data.

Making a decision based on fear created by inaccurate information is the opposite of being empowered.

That's what I think too. Just used that word since the poster who I was responding to used it.