Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Apparently believing frozen meals like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice are NOT high in sodium is an unpopular opinion. Do you consider 23-24% of your daily intake high in sodium? I don't. It's one meal. 1/3 of my day.

But is it 1/3 of your daily calories?

Usually pretty close on the days I eat one.

Wow, really? Aren't they all still 300 calories or less?

Nope

not sure what you are eating but it isn't lean cuisines or healthy choice steamers...mine are all under 200....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have struggled with emotional eating. I still think claiming that some kind of "epidemic" of emotional eating (which probably is common, sure) is why the obesity rate is higher now is odd. I also think it's really odd to go to emotional eating from the posts on experiencing pleasure from food.

IME, emotional eating isn't about enjoying food at all. It's about self comfort and stuffing feelings. To claim it's about appreciating food strikes me as rather like thinking that alcohol abuse is fundamentally about being an oenophile or enjoying the taste of craft beers.

Humans are good at using all kinds of things to dysfunctionally deal with feelings, sure, and I doubt the tendency to do that has changed much over time. (I used to do it with food even as a teen, when I wasn't fat at all, so it also does not necessarily result in obesity.)

Why people are obese now is because food is really easily available and low cost (including the time of preparation), it tends to be around a lot and there are few cultural restrictions on eating, servings and the calorie costs of the most easily available foods are generally up, and people don't really notice, and activity that is required in daily life today is really low and for some people not easy to get without making an effort. Culturally hedonic eating is somewhat encouraged and mindless eating is common.

Indeed, I suspect mindless eating is way more responsible for obesity than emotional eating. Despite my tendency to the latter I think mindless eating was more of a culprit for me, even.

I don't get the impression from the average MFP poster who is struggling that being a foodie or enjoyment of a thought-out evening indulgence is the main stumbling block. Seems like more of them feel guilt and shame about food, eating, and almost don't really seem to enjoy food, to struggle with appreciating more than a really narrow range of foods, sometimes.

So going to "finding pleasure in an evening snack" = "emotional eating" = "the cause of obesity!" strikes me as, well, again, kind of odd.

I would say a fair part of mindless eating is out of boredom which I would consider an emotion.

I would disagree. Boredom eating is seeing food as "something to do" and not about addressing difficult feelings or self comfort, IMO.

Point remains that none of this has anything to do with the comments about desserts.
    I have struggled with emotional eating. I still think claiming that some kind of "epidemic" of emotional eating (which probably is common, sure) is why the obesity rate is higher now is odd. I also think it's really odd to go to emotional eating from the posts on experiencing pleasure from food.

IME, emotional eating isn't about enjoying food at all. It's about self comfort and stuffing feelings. To claim it's about appreciating food strikes me as rather like thinking that alcohol abuse is fundamentally about being an oenophile or enjoying the taste of craft beers.

Humans are good at using all kinds of things to dysfunctionally deal with feelings, sure, and I doubt the tendency to do that has changed much over time. (I used to do it with food even as a teen, when I wasn't fat at all, so it also does not necessarily result in obesity.)

Why people are obese now is because food is really easily available and low cost (including the time of preparation), it tends to be around a lot and there are few cultural restrictions on eating, servings and the calorie costs of the most easily available foods are generally up, and people don't really notice, and activity that is required in daily life today is really low and for some people not easy to get without making an effort. Culturally hedonic eating is somewhat encouraged and mindless eating is common.

Indeed, I suspect mindless eating is way more responsible for obesity than emotional eating. Despite my tendency to the latter I think mindless eating was more of a culprit for me, even.

I don't get the impression from the average MFP poster who is struggling that being a foodie or enjoyment of a thought-out evening indulgence is the main stumbling block. Seems like more of them feel guilt and shame about food, eating, and almost don't really seem to enjoy food, to struggle with appreciating more than a really narrow range of foods, sometimes.

So going to "finding pleasure in an evening snack" = "emotional eating" = "the cause of obesity!" strikes me as, well, again, kind of odd.

I would say a fair part of mindless eating is out of boredom which I would consider an emotion.

I would disagree. Boredom eating is seeing food as "something to do" and not about addressing difficult feelings or self comfort, IMO.

Point remains that none of this has anything to do with the comments about desserts.

I think that if your life is so boring that you routinely view over-eating as your preferred source of entertainment, then emotionally, you are not in a healthy place.

I don't think people who "boredom eat" see eating as their "preferred source of entertainment," and -- more to the point -- I don't really see what this has to do with the original discussion of dessert. You seem to be trying to bend over backwards now to insist that people are more obese than they used to be because they have some kind of emotional problem, on average, vs. 50 years ago or whenever. There is no reason to believe that is true.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Apparently believing frozen meals like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice are NOT high in sodium is an unpopular opinion. Do you consider 23-24% of your daily intake high in sodium? I don't. It's one meal. 1/3 of my day.

Nope

not sure what you are eating but it isn't lean cuisines or healthy choice steamers...mine are all under 200....

How the heck is 200 calories considered a meal? Are they teeny tiny portions? Similar "healthy" ready meals here in the UK (but more commonly found in the fridge) shoot for about 350-450.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm sure you meant to post the OED definition to strengthen the point of it being a perfectly fine word. The fact that they use a reference from an 1800's medical textbook isn't filling me with confidence as to the validity of the word.

That pretty much invalidates every word in the OED and therefore the English language!

Those references aren't there as citations in the standard, as stated by Nuffield, in the publication Broscience Nonsense, issue 38, 2001 sense.

The OED always quotes the earliest recorded usages of words, to demonstrate how long the word has been in use for the etymologists amongst us. (Or people just trying to write historically accurate fiction.) It's kind of its selling point for a subscription.

The definition you quoted is different than the one the prior poster seemed to be using.

To fatten of course means to make or become fat.

The question is whether eating a specific food makes you become fat, and the answer is it doesn't.

The prior poster is using the word in a different way, to mean "calorie dense." That's fine, but saying "calorie dense" would be a lot clearer.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion that my growing girth and progressing pregnancy is a necessary step in my quest for "bear mode"... at least it's unpopular with my wife at the moment. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

The PhDs in Psychology would say boredom is an emotion:
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/07-08/dull-moment.aspx

Excerpt:

"Even though boredom is very common, there is a lack of knowledge about it," says Wijnand van Tilburg, a psychologist at the University of Southampton. "There hasn't been much research about how it affects people on an everyday basis."
    Now that's changing, as scientists have begun to take a closer look at this underappreciated emotion. The results of their research are anything but dull.
    Boredom is a universal experience, yet until recently researchers didn't have a go-to definition of the condition. Psychologist John Eastwood, PhD, of York University in Toronto, decided that was a good place to start. He and his colleagues scoured the scientific literature for theories of boredom and tried to extract the common elements. Then they interviewed hundreds of people about what it feels like to experience that tedious state.
    They concluded that boredom is best described in terms of attention. A bored person doesn't just have nothing to do. He or she wants to be stimulated, but is unable, for whatever reason, to connect with his or her environment — a state Eastwood describes as an "unengaged mind" (Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2012).
    "In a nutshell, it boiled down to boredom being the unfulfilled desire for satisfying activity," he says.

Sure, boredom is an emotion.

That doesn't make mindless eating, which is sometimes eating when one is bored, the same thing as eating to self-comfort or stuff down feelings.

Mindless and boredom eating is something that happens because food is there, I'd bet. Or because you are hanging out with someone and want something to do and getting a bite seems easy.

Also, and I repeat, don't see what this has to do with the dessert discussion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Nope

Way back in the day Lean Cuisine used to advertise that all their meals were <= 300. But I checked their website. They do have higher calorie meals now.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Excerpt:

"Even though boredom is very common, there is a lack of knowledge about it," says Wijnand van Tilburg, a psychologist at the University of Southampton. "There hasn't been much research about how it affects people on an everyday basis."
    Now that's changing, as scientists have begun to take a closer look at this underappreciated emotion. The results of their research are anything but dull.
    Boredom is a universal experience, yet until recently researchers didn't have a go-to definition of the condition. Psychologist John Eastwood, PhD, of York University in Toronto, decided that was a good place to start. He and his colleagues scoured the scientific literature for theories of boredom and tried to extract the common elements. Then they interviewed hundreds of people about what it feels like to experience that tedious state.
    They concluded that boredom is best described in terms of attention. A bored person doesn't just have nothing to do. He or she wants to be stimulated, but is unable, for whatever reason, to connect with his or her environment — a state Eastwood describes as an "unengaged mind" (Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2012).
    "In a nutshell, it boiled down to boredom being the unfulfilled desire for satisfying activity," he says.

No idea what you are talking about. Looks like there are 3000+ comments in this thread. I'm personally not bored enough to track back.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you meant to post the OED definition to strengthen the point of it being a perfectly fine word. The fact that they use a reference from an 1800's medical textbook isn't filling me with confidence as to the validity of the word.

That pretty much invalidates every word in the OED and therefore the English language!

Those references aren't there as citations in the standard, as stated by Nuffield, in the publication Broscience Nonsense, issue 38, 2001 sense.

The OED always quotes the earliest recorded usages of words, to demonstrate how long the word has been in use for the etymologists amongst us. (Or people just trying to write historically accurate fiction.) It's kind of its selling point for a subscription.

The definition you quoted is different than the one the prior poster seemed to be using.

To fatten of course means to make or become fat.

The question is whether eating a specific food makes you become fat, and the answer is it doesn't.

The prior poster is using the word in a different way, to mean "calorie dense." That's fine, but saying "calorie dense" would be a lot clearer.
    It would be different- I used a different dictionary. I think before I posted, the discussion had involved Cambridge's free online one and Websters free online one.

As I said previously, (I think), I would understand "fattening food" to be food that is calorie-dense. Generally in implied comparison to other food that are reasonable alternatives.

Anyway didn't really like either of the dictionary entries posted so far, and it's not a proper semantical argument if no-one willy-waves their access to the OED.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Nope

Way back in the day Lean Cuisine used to advertise that all their meals were <= 300. But I checked their website. They do have higher calorie meals now.

INteresting...my favorite and the only one I buy is 160 calories 14 grams of protein. Grilled chicken and potato in wine sauce....I know that there are others that are higher but I have yet to taste any of them.

The healthy choice I choose are the ones without noodles or rice typically...so usually about 240 calories I think but 28 grams of protein.

I do add protein sometimes...depends on waht is leftover in the fridge.

Nope

How the heck is 200 calories considered a meal? Are they teeny tiny portions? Similar "healthy" ready meals here in the UK (but more commonly found in the fridge) shoot for about 350-450.

~see above.

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    My favorite frozen meals are the Stouffer's FitKitchen ones, because they're higher protein. The one's I've had so far have been anywhere from 260-450 calories. The sodium in them does tend to be higher than I'd have in a home-cooked meal, but nothing outrageous (not over 1000 mg or anything - probably 40% of RDA on average).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Excerpt:

No idea what you are talking about. Looks like there are 3000+ comments in this thread. I'm personally not bored enough to track back.

The thing about emotional eating started with a claim that eating dessert is not healthy.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The difficulty is that we are attempting to interpret the meaning of a term "fattening" to multiple communities.

One being the lay person - those generally ignorant of the issues surrounding weight management.

The other being the average MFP user - while many may disagree on the particulars there is a minimum foundation of the variables impacting weight management.

Having this foundational knowledge does lead one to challenge so called "established" thinking and makes terms such as fattening very situational dependent. There is a great deal of bias in this as the majority of MFP users are more focused on deficit; however this term is going to have a different meaning to those focusing on gaining.

Based upon this thread alone, I'd strongly disagree with the bolded. Reading most of the other threads on MFP would only strengthen that stance. MFP users, as a whole, are just as enraptured with woo, fearmongering and pseudoscience as the uneducated lay person. Cleanses/detoxes. Juice fasts. Apple cider vinegar. Green tea. MLM scams. Sugar/carb demonization. The magickal, miraculous wizardries of keto and IF. Military diet. Gaining slabs of muscle while eating 1000 calories of lettuce and doing 4 hours of cardio per day. Et cetera ad nauseum.

I will, however, agree with the above if we establish "minimum foundation" as being on a level with the derpy weight loss/diet articles found in magazines and the garbage in Netflix "documentaries".

Now there's one that's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Is this just lazy language, or do people think that the documentaries they see on Netflix are original content (the vast majority are not)?

It would be like referring to movies as AMC movies or television shows as Comcast shows.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The difficulty is that we are attempting to interpret the meaning of a term "fattening" to multiple communities.

One being the lay person - those generally ignorant of the issues surrounding weight management.

The other being the average MFP user - while many may disagree on the particulars there is a minimum foundation of the variables impacting weight management.

Having this foundational knowledge does lead one to challenge so called "established" thinking and makes terms such as fattening very situational dependent. There is a great deal of bias in this as the majority of MFP users are more focused on deficit; however this term is going to have a different meaning to those focusing on gaining.

Based upon this thread alone, I'd strongly disagree with the bolded. Reading most of the other threads on MFP would only strengthen that stance. MFP users, as a whole, are just as enraptured with woo, fearmongering and pseudoscience as the uneducated lay person. Cleanses/detoxes. Juice fasts. Apple cider vinegar. Green tea. MLM scams. Sugar/carb demonization. The magickal, miraculous wizardries of keto and IF. Military diet. Gaining slabs of muscle while eating 1000 calories of lettuce and doing 4 hours of cardio per day. Et cetera ad nauseum.

I will, however, agree with the above if we establish "minimum foundation" as being on a level with the derpy weight loss/diet articles found in magazines and the garbage in Netflix "documentaries".

Is this just lazy language, or do people think that the documentaries they see on Netflix are original content (the vast majority are not)?

It would be like referring to movies as AMC movies or television shows as Comcast shows.

Note the "in" before Netflix. They mean the category of Documentaries on Netflix, not that they are Netflix produced.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Note the "in" before Netflix. They mean the category of Documentaries on Netflix, not that they are Netflix produced.

The "in" doesn't modify in that way at all.

"in" is the location of the information, which is followed by the source of said information. It would work as "documentaries in/on Netflix," but not as "in Netflix documentaries."
This discussion has been closed.