Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    That being stronger makes everyday life easier.

That barbell lift are better for gaining strength than body weight exercise.

That strength is at least as important as cardio, and maybe more depending on lifestyle/job.

That people shouldn't settle for good enough in any endeavor they actively work at.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

So am I, who stated that?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

You might want to do some soul searching.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

The emotional ties to food surely are resulting in weight issues.
  • Packerjohn
    edited August 2017
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

They don't move and eat too many calories

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?

Some
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I HATE grazing/snacking. I do think it works for some so wouldn't say people shouldn't do it, but I strongly dislike how eating lots of mini meals is promoted and dislike snacking quite a lot for myself.

Oh really? Why is that.. I've just noticed if i have several healthy snacks instead of a sandwich or something more of a meal for lunch I can manage my calorie goals much better.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

OR..

I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in this discussion already knows that - my question was concerning the psychology behind these behaviors.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

OR..

I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in this discussion already knows that - my question was concerning the psychology behind these behaviors.

It doesn't take a ton of calories to become overweight. In fact I think it was shown that most people have weight creeping onto them slowly over years without noticing or not caring because it's never a lot at once. It only takes just over 100 calories extra per day to gain a pound per month and a year from now you weigh 12 pounds more.

But wouldn't that initial extra100 over maintenance, at an ideal weight, have to keep increasing as the body weight went up otherwise one would hit maintenance at a slightly higher weight?

Cheers, h.
  • Packerjohn

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

OR..

Emotional reasons are probably also why many are underweight...

I would tend to agree.
  • Packerjohn
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have struggled with emotional eating. I still think claiming that some kind of "epidemic" of emotional eating (which probably is common, sure) is why the obesity rate is higher now is odd. I also think it's really odd to go to emotional eating from the posts on experiencing pleasure from food.

IME, emotional eating isn't about enjoying food at all. It's about self comfort and stuffing feelings. To claim it's about appreciating food strikes me as rather like thinking that alcohol abuse is fundamentally about being an oenophile or enjoying the taste of craft beers.

Humans are good at using all kinds of things to dysfunctionally deal with feelings, sure, and I doubt the tendency to do that has changed much over time. (I used to do it with food even as a teen, when I wasn't fat at all, so it also does not necessarily result in obesity.)

Why people are obese now is because food is really easily available and low cost (including the time of preparation), it tends to be around a lot and there are few cultural restrictions on eating, servings and the calorie costs of the most easily available foods are generally up, and people don't really notice, and activity that is required in daily life today is really low and for some people not easy to get without making an effort. Culturally hedonic eating is somewhat encouraged and mindless eating is common.

Indeed, I suspect mindless eating is way more responsible for obesity than emotional eating. Despite my tendency to the latter I think mindless eating was more of a culprit for me, even.

I don't get the impression from the average MFP poster who is struggling that being a foodie or enjoyment of a thought-out evening indulgence is the main stumbling block. Seems like more of them feel guilt and shame about food, eating, and almost don't really seem to enjoy food, to struggle with appreciating more than a really narrow range of foods, sometimes.

So going to "finding pleasure in an evening snack" = "emotional eating" = "the cause of obesity!" strikes me as, well, again, kind of odd.

I would say a fair part of mindless eating is out of boredom which I would consider an emotion.
This discussion has been closed.