Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I hate how when you are waiting at an office for a doctor or a lawyer or anything they always say have a seat and everyone is always sitting I preferred to stand when I am waiting. I sit all day long at my job why would I want to sit more !? Everyone always has to be sitting down for everything and everyone always goes out of their way to make sure your sitting or have a seat in any circumstance. I think it's lazy. (For people who don't have medical conditions or are impaired). Not saying everyone has to be standing but I hate how people act like your insane if you prefer to stand and wait or not be sitting at every chance.

This reminded me of how I've recently noticed that a lot more people are taking the stairs these days. Used to be I'd never see anyone on the stairs. But when my OH's mother was in the hospital and recently at the VA, I'm no longer alone there. The VA has pretty murals on the walls, too, which is nice.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    LucasLean wrote: »
    I have an *unpopular*

oh yay, back on track. me:

i'm old enough to remember when jane fonda was a thing, and in the same kind of way only more-so, i resent the *kitten* out of bret contreras. it's not about his expertise or the validity of his programme. it simply isn't his place to define what makes a woman 'genetically gifted' or not, or be indirectly setting the standard for what shape of bum we 'should' have.

I think he is known as the "glute guy". Even guys go to him to improve in that "area". Society sets the standard, and it's up to each individual person to want to look like the rest of society or come up with their own version of what they'd want to look like (fat, or skinny, or muscular, etc) regardless of what others think. He simply helps those that wish to look like his clients that he helps. I don't think it's anymore complicated than that. He helps people build muscle and only those who like his opinions would go to him. If they don't, then I'm not sure why they'd care about him helping others that are align with his opinions. It's anyones place to form an opinion. There's nothing wrong with him having an opinion.
    I get what your'e saying, but I do find it weird to have a guy who's made that his main focus. But then, if one wants to fit in with the current societal standard, then that would certainly make him the go-to person.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I have an *unpopular*

i'm old enough to remember when jane fonda was a thing, and in the same kind of way only more-so, i resent the *kitten* out of bret contreras. it's not about his expertise or the validity of his programme. it simply isn't his place to define what makes a woman 'genetically gifted' or not, or be indirectly setting the standard for what shape of bum we 'should' have.

I think he is known as the "glute guy". Even guys go to him to improve in that "area". Society sets the standard, and it's up to each individual person to want to look like the rest of society or come up with their own version of what they'd want to look like (fat, or skinny, or muscular, etc) regardless of what others think. He simply helps those that wish to look like his clients that he helps. I don't think it's anymore complicated than that. He helps people build muscle and only those who like his opinions would go to him. If they don't, then I'm not sure why they'd care about him helping others that are align with his opinions. It's anyones place to form an opinion. There's nothing wrong with him having an opinion.
    I get what your'e saying, but I do find it weird to have a guy who's made that his main focus. But then, if one wants to fit in with the current societal standard, then that would certainly make him the go-to person.

The glutea are the largest muscles in the body. His research and training are designed to increase functionality of the muscles in the human performance setting.

Appearance is a byproduct.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have an *unpopular*

The glutea are the largest muscles in the body. His research and training are designed to increase functionality of the muscles in the human performance setting.

This makes sense. When I was in physical therapy for low back/hip issues (hypermobility leading to muscle pain), they had me work a lot on my glutes. Re-learning to use the right muscles helps alleviate the stress and therefore pain on the other ones.

OTOH, now a lot of people, especially women, want the rounded booty. So appearance isn't always a byproduct anymore, but actually the goal.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I have an *unpopular*

What is with $6 loaves of bread? I mean, yes, Dave's Killer bread is tasty. But is it $4.50 a loaf more tasty than the regular whole wheat? I submit that it is not.

@cmriverside, do you by any chance read Jeff Kay's West Virginia Surf Report? "I submit that there is not" is a phrase he uses a lot and it makes me smile.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I have an *unpopular*

What is with $6 loaves of bread? I mean, yes, Dave's Killer bread is tasty. But is it $4.50 a loaf more tasty than the regular whole wheat? I submit that it is not.

@cmriverside, do you by any chance read Jeff Kay's West Virginia Surf Report? "I submit that there is not" is a phrase he uses a lot and it makes me smile.

No. What is it? If it's a surf report, I still have animosity toward a particular surfboard that injured me circa 1970. :neutral:

• cmriverside
    Oh, no. Someone is gonna accuse me of living in the past and not letting go, huh? :lol:
  • cmriverside
    I just read the one you linked. LOL, I like it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2017

which would be just fine by me if his presentation walked that particular talk. it doesn't, and it's the presentation i have an issue with.

if bret contreras were some random guy in some gym passing unsolicited comments about the shape and 'quality' of women's rear ends, he'd get smacked no matter how many phd's he might have.

Not exactly sure what "presentation" you're referring to. I've been following the guy for 8-10 years. He seems to root his advice in science.

If you do find issues with the presentations, I would guess it's because he has to compete with Instagram bimbos who have no knowledge/education and are making millions telling the world their "secret" to the barely covered glutes they are showing off. Note: telling the "secret" doesn't include the part about cosmetic surgery.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

which would be just fine by me if his presentation walked that particular talk. it doesn't, and it's the presentation i have an issue with.

if bret contreras were some random guy in some gym passing unsolicited comments about the shape and 'quality' of women's rear ends, he'd get smacked no matter how many phd's he might have.

I get what you're saying, but he's speaking to a specific audience - the audience that wants "that type" of booty. He's not just speaking randomly. One of the things I tend to say is, "know your audience." He does.

If you're (general you, not specifically you) not interested in glute development, you probably wouldn't follow him or his advice. In which case, I'm not sure why it matters how he speaks to his clientele. If you are, you probably should. And, in the case that you are interested in that department, you may or may not be (or feel that you are) "gifted" in that department. It's not really a judgment - it's just playing to that particular group.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »

I get what you're saying, but he's speaking to a specific audience - the audience that wants "that type" of booty. He's not just speaking randomly. One of the things I tend to say is, "know your audience." He does.

If you're (general you, not specifically you) not interested in glute development, you probably wouldn't follow him or his advice. In which case, I'm not sure why it matters how he speaks to his clientele. If you are, you probably should. And, in the case that you are interested in that department, you may or may not be (or feel that you are) "gifted" in that department. It's not really a judgment - it's just playing to that particular group.

I agree with this.

I think the phrase "gifted" refers to someone who doesn't have to work (as) hard to achieve what you want to achieve. It doesn't mean one is better than the other though, it is very goal dependent.

For example, I consider myself gifted in the calf department, the shape, the size, the muscles are very developed but still proportional to my body. I don't work them at all either.. if anything I wouldn't mind if they went down a little to be honest! But that doesn't' mean that huge calves are better than small calves, just means I have a genetic predisposition to large one and to someone who wants to grow theirs I might be considered gifted genetically.
    I don't know if that made sense but that is how I feel about the whole gifted thing, I don't get offended since I am not genetically predisposed to a larger booty. Just means I have to work harder if that is something I desire. If it's not, then I wouldn't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.