Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Neurotic22 wrote: »
    Against popular opinion... I don't weigh everything. I overestimate unless it's a calorie-dense food (e.g. estimate - carrot, weigh - cheese).

This is because I can't handle it - I end up constantly doing the numbers in my head due to my anxiety disorder.

...and I am another believer that junk food exists/it matters what you eat!

I don't see any issue with this and do the same. This is a matter of prioritizing what matters. One point is that calorie estimations carry an inherent 20% margin of error. In the beginning I simply entered 1.2 to ensure a deficit. Now I just use my output to ensure a deficit.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    I'm not just starting. My feelings are based on 15 years of paying attention to my body and as much research as I can stand to consume.

Nothing you have said has contradicted my assertion that we don't have the tools to accurately calculate Calories Out. So we're arguing in circles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Huskeryogi wrote: »
    I'm not just starting. My feelings are based on 15 years of paying attention to my body and as much research as I can stand to consume.

Nothing you have said has contradicted my assertion that we don't have the tools to accurately calculate Calories Out. So we're arguing in circles.

You seem to be making a (possibly valid) argument that calorie counting doesn't work (for you, anyway) because actual calories in/out can't be determined accurately. But you're telling us that's a valid argument that CICO (the energy balance equation) is incorrect. That doesn't follow.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    That calories in/out works....but not all the time. If it worked all the time people wouldn't plateau. Since there's no way to do controlled long term studies there's a lot about weight and health that we don't know.

CI/CO is an energy equation - so yes it always works - a plateau comes out when CI and CO are equalized - which means either one or the other side of the equation (or both) needs to be adjusted

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

yeah that doesn't actually dispute CICO...all is says is just cause you work out, doesn't mean you can go whole hog on eating and drinking, you still need to watch what you eat and make sure you eat less than you burn...

But if calories you burn aren't linear (rates changes based on the amount of exercise/other factors WE DO NOT KNOW) it's an unknownable variable. If we can't accurately calculate calories out, calories in/calories out doesn't work.

One of my biggest problems with anything weight loss or fitness related is anyone saying anything works ALL the time.

Your calories out isn't going to swing up and down wildly from day to day. It's going to be pretty similar to make an educated guess. In maths you employ approximation techniques for getting results of formulas that would be too complicated to calculate properly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    tiasommer wrote: »
    I disagree that what you eat doesn't matter. Sure you'll lose weight eating at a deficit, but HEALTH should be the ultimate goal. Natural is better and I'm sticking to it!

Twinkie diet, Fat head and at least 2 threads on mfp where people improved their health simply through weight loss.

Also hemlock is natural.

Sure an obese individual losing weight will generally improve health markers. Don't you think long term an individual will have better health markers eating a diet that is 80-90% nutrient dense vs the same person eating the same number of calories on the Twinkie diet or something similar?
  • tiasommer
    tiasommer Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hemlock, lol. Certainly natural, but kind of ignores the "healthy" part. Keep it relevant.
  • tiasommer
    tiasommer Posts: 36 Member
    The link between sodium nitrites and cancer

CTCA
    May 31, 2013

A study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of Southern California suggests a link between eating processed meats and cancer risk. The study followed 190,000 people, ages 45-75, for seven years and found that people who ate the most processed meats had a 67% higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least amount.
This discussion has been closed.