Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

So am I, who stated that?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

You might want to do some soul searching.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

The emotional ties to food surely are resulting in weight issues.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

They don't move and eat too many calories

I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in this discussion already knows that - my question was concerning the psychology behind these behaviors.

It doesn't take a ton of calories to become overweight. In fact I think it was shown that most people have weight creeping onto them slowly over years without noticing or not caring because it's never a lot at once. It only takes just over 100 calories extra per day to gain a pound per month and a year from now you weigh 12 pounds more.

But wouldn't that initial extra100 over maintenance, at an ideal weight, have to keep increasing as the body weight went up otherwise one would hit maintenance at a slightly higher weight?

Cheers, h.

ah no...an extra 100 over maintenance is just that...100 over.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am extremely confused by purposely making food not taste good because "it's fuel". Or maybe the argument is the old parent argument of "poor children in Africa can't enjoy their food so you aren't allowed to either"?

What is your point?

I will agree that you're not explicitly against food tasting good, but you seem to have an issue with people enjoying it. It would follow, logically, that part of enjoying food is enjoying how it tastes.

You seem to have very black or white thinking on this issue. Reading between the lines of what you posted, it's almost as if it's not okay in your books for fat people to enjoy food for pleasure because they're fat.

Why?

Why can't food be good, and pleasurable and still within the realm of someone's correct energy balance?

I think your cut-and-dried, rather dull "food is fuel" and your initial point was that maybe fat people should remove emotions from eating as... what? Punishment for being fat? OR is that your solution to the obesity crisis?

Whatever you're doing, I don't think people who ignore the nuances of humankind's relationship with food have a balanced relationship with it. Food as fuel is just one aspect.

There are millions of people with a destructive, dysfunctional relationship with food - I will leave the deep soul searching to them, and not waste a moment of my time dissecting something that I do actually enjoy and is giving me great results. I'm former military and I think that there is a disconnect between my perception of discipline and delayed gratification and the mindset of others.

You're right. If you use the search function for these forums and search for emotional eating and stress eating (IMO just a subset of emotional eating) you will get 1,000 hits (which is apparently the max) for each of them.

For some people.

Not all.

This is besides the original point, but you two are too busy back-patting each other to realize that you've strayed from it.

OR..

Are you deflecting from the original point BryLander made about the "epidemic" of emotional eating and the need to diminish the prevalence of eating for pleasure?

So emotional eating isn't an epidemic? So what is your theory on why so many people are overweight, did 68.8% of the people in the US just spontaneously get fat?

I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in this discussion already knows that - my question was concerning the psychology behind these behaviors.

It doesn't take a ton of calories to become overweight. In fact I think it was shown that most people have weight creeping onto them slowly over years without noticing or not caring because it's never a lot at once. It only takes just over 100 calories extra per day to gain a pound per month and a year from now you weigh 12 pounds more.

But wouldn't that initial extra100 over maintenance, at an ideal weight, have to keep increasing as the body weight went up otherwise one would hit maintenance at a slightly higher weight?

Cheers, h.

ah no...an extra 100 over maintenance is just that...100 over.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, but the initial example for a 12 lbs gain over a year, I thought, was taken from an initial maintenance calorie intake.

It really doesn't matter. I think I am too tired to think straight, or write a cohesive sentence. 4:44am and can't sleep because of the heat.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for doing the numbers @stevencloser.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    edited August 2017

What is your point?

Why?

For some people.

Not all.

OR..

Surely not the only reason, but couldn't emotional eating be the reason some of the overweight and obese eat too many calories?

Some != "epidemic"

Because we live in a very fast paced and lazy society. And fattening foods are so easily and quickly available...... oh and the advertising we are subjected to.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited August 2017

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    With almost 70% of the US considered obese, I think we can safely conclude that people are utilizing food as something more than a means to fuel themselves. Emotional/psychological eating is an epidemic and diminishing the prevalence of this type of relationship with food is crucial to reducing destructive eating habits. If you are in control of your eating and at a healthy weight, I don't think you really need to be concerned if you are occasionally eating "emotionally" ;)

it's actually 35.7% obese and 68.8% overweight per

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesity
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited August 2017

"Overweight BMI" != fat/unhealthy.
    "Healthy BMI" != healthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I HATE grazing/snacking. I do think it works for some so wouldn't say people shouldn't do it, but I strongly dislike how eating lots of mini meals is promoted and dislike snacking quite a lot for myself.

Oh really? Why is that.. I've just noticed if i have several healthy snacks instead of a sandwich or something more of a meal for lunch I can manage my calorie goals much better.

I also don't like to snack and certainly wouldn't want several snacks to be the principal way in which I get my daily calories. I like a small lunch (not more than a snack really, usually around 300 calories) and all the rest of my calories are eaten late in the evening for dinner.

But that's just me. Different strokes and all that jazz.
This discussion has been closed.