Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tiasommer wrote: »
    I disagree that what you eat doesn't matter. Sure you'll lose weight eating at a deficit, but HEALTH should be the ultimate goal. Natural is better and I'm sticking to it!

With whom do you think you are disagreeing?

I don't recall anyone saying that what you eat overall does not matter for health. Do people misread this badly or what?

Yes, to some extent just losing weight will improve health, but I don't think anyone has been arguing that nutrition should be ignored.

Not sure what "natural is better" means. How do we define what is natural?
  • mgtz69
    mgtz69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not a believer: The only way to lose weight is to eat boring.

Ugh. If I ate boring then I'd gain all my weight back and then some. Just eat healthy whole foods, watch your macros, get the right amount of exercise. Go ahead and eat boring to kill some vanity pounds, sure. But to eat the same thing all the time or a bland diet of lean meat and steamed veggies? Kill me now.

Not a believer: Okay, and the same for clean eating (or the "true" clean eating).

Sorry, I'm going to spiral my zucchini, I'm going to make my own tomato sauce and salsa, and I'm going to mash my potatoes. I will avoid processed packaged foods or at least the ones with every unintelligible preservative and additive known to man. But, when I'm are busy and hungry, grabbing a Kind Bar keeps me from biting my co-workers in a fit of the hangries.

Not a believer: Slowing metabolism makes and keeps you fat.

Cop out excuse. I know, I used to use it. It is what got me to go from overweight to obese. I could pull of 5 lbs in less than a week in my 20s. In my forties, it took a lot more to just get a pound down in the same time. After 40, yes, things slow down. But, there are enough examples, mine included that if you manage calories in and calories out with a 300 - 500 calorie in deficiency, you will lose weight. Just be honest when tracking what you eat and the amount of calories burned during activity/exercise.

My belief: Date and Coconut bites are better than cookies and cookie dough.

Can you substitute healthy food or imposter foods for the real thing/sugary thing? Oh yeah! I saw these little date and coconut nuggets at Whole Foods (67 calories per piece) and grabbed them on a whim. I'd seen similar recipes for these bites on MFP but didn't really want to make them myself. Well, I love cookies. In fact, I'm more fond of scraping the mixing bowl and eating the raw cookie dough (NO, YOU WON'T GET SICK). So, when I popped one of these in my mouth, I was immediately reminded of all my mixing bowl heists. So yummy! As a test, I had my son, who we call Cookie Monster because he eats them all before anyone gets to them, try them. He likes them too! So, yes, there are some imposter foods that are better than the real thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It's a hot topic, clearly. But I, for one, do not think it's a good idea to put chemicals with little testing of long term effects into my body. Especially when lobbyists work hard to get them approved. I used the inability to pronounce some of the chemicals as an example, not as a rule. Plenty of natural ingredients have scientific names. I didn't write a long diatribe originally, I merely stated my pet peeve. Stuff made in a lab and created with the sole intent to make food look like candy (dyes), last forever, (preservatives), and kill bugs (pesticides) and other highly industrialized food production methods, is not for me. It bothers me that people think they are the picture of health just because they lost weight eating twinkies and don't consider the other potential risk factors associated with such foods. To me health is more than CICO, it's limiting the intake or questionable substances on a daily basis. Eat whatever you want, I just disagree.

Like what? Which chemicals do you believe need more testing?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    The link between sodium nitrites and cancer

CTCA
    May 31, 2013

A study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of Southern California suggests a link between eating processed meats and cancer risk. The study followed 190,000 people, ages 45-75, for seven years and found that people who ate the most processed meats had a 67% higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least amount.

Did you know that celery, cabbage, beets, carrots, radishes, and spinach are all naturally high in sodium nitrate? I found a University of Minnesota study when I googled to check my recollection of this that stated that the average person consumes 90% of their intake of nitrite from vegetables and 10% from processed meats.

Welp, I'm dead. I eat cabbage and carrots just about every day. :D
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's my unpopular opinion. That's the thread. I get flack from lots of people. I didn't call anyone out. I just stated my unpopular opinion. And I'm not anti-vaccination, nor do I think science is a bad thing. I just don't trust current regulations to provide adequate testing and protection about what goes in and on my food.

You pretended like something everyone agrees with (it matters what you eat) was an unpopular opinion.

As for the natural thing, that's current trendiness that means little, as you haven't defined what's natural. (I understand, though, I took "eating only natural" to a major extreme for a while and still mostly eat that way, I've just stopped pretending "natural" has a clear meaning or that it has anything much to do with health.)
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's my unpopular opinion. That's the thread. I get flack from lots of people. I didn't call anyone out. I just stated my unpopular opinion. And I'm not anti-vaccination, nor do I think science is a bad thing. I just don't trust current regulations to provide adequate testing and protection about what goes in and on my food.

I wasn't referring to you. I was speaking of my own *personal* experience with eating mostly organic and people's assumptions. There IS a lot of people who are outrageously ignorant to Science in the Organic and/or "clean eating" population, though. And the regular eaters think we all subscribe to their nonsense.

My mother still doesn't understand why I buy organic milk. I'm like "PCOS mom. I have enough hormonal issues... it's worth trying to avoid the extras".

For the record, I eat regular ice cream *frequently* and indulge in Diet Cherry Pepsi, too. For me... it's the hormones thing. For you... it seems to be needless additives/dyes you avoid. Everyone is different and I wasn't implying that you're some crazed anti-vaxxing hipster.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The "natural" thing, though. Lots of terribly unhealthy foods and diets are natural. I mean, swallowing tapeworms to lose weight was all the rage back in the olden days. It's natural, but definitely not healthy.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Unpopular in some circles: "All-Natural", "Paleo" and "Clean Eating" are all nonsense terms.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    -
    - I unequivocally do not support the HAES movement.

I am so late to this thread but this is mine. I am so completely against this but cannot say that out loud to many people.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, people around here would be "what's the HAES movement?"
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    The link between sodium nitrites and cancer

CTCA
    May 31, 2013

A study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of Southern California suggests a link between eating processed meats and cancer risk. The study followed 190,000 people, ages 45-75, for seven years and found that people who ate the most processed meats had a 67% higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least amount.

Did you know that celery, cabbage, beets, carrots, radishes, and spinach are all naturally high in sodium nitrate? I found a University of Minnesota study when I googled to check my recollection of this that stated that the average person consumes 90% of their intake of nitrite from vegetables and 10% from processed meats.

Welp, I'm dead. I eat cabbage and carrots just about every day. :D

Broccoli kills, yo.

The nitrates thing is my pet peeve because my husband insists on the "all-natural" bacon...cured with celery seed extract instead of "nitrates" :lol::lol::lol: Can't talk any sense into him though so I spend $17 on a Costco two-pack of the stuff every time.
This discussion has been closed.