Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm a high-carbing vegetarian myself, lol.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017
    @MsHarryWinston Not going to try and convert you to veganism whatever, but mostly, vegans aren't going to convert you to low-carbing! :D I think most of us are high carb. Unlike every other diet, the only place I encounter low-carbing vegans is the internet. (Could've knocked me down with a feather when I found out it was even possible to go low carb as a vegan, but maybe that says more about my dependence on carbs than anything else.)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2017
    @MsHarryWinston Not going to try and convert you to veganism whatever, but mostly, vegans aren't going to convert you to low-carbing! :D I think most of us are high carb. Unlike every other diet, the only place I encounter low-carbing vegans is the internet. (Could've knocked me down with a feather when I found out it was even possible to go low carb as a vegan, but maybe that says more about my dependence on carbs than anything else.)

I think low carb was separate to vegan, that's how I took it.

I think veganism without the ethical part is dumb. Unless you actively don't like the taste of all animal products why you doing it if not because of ethics?

Another of my potentially unpopular opinions is not being able to do high impact cardio sucks big ones (I got a hip dysplasia diagnosis yesterday, I'm in the grieving process.........).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017

I think low carb was separate to vegan, that's how I took it.

I think veganism with the ethical part is dumb. Unless you actively don't like the taste of all animal products why you doing it if not because of ethics?

Another of my potentially unpopular opinions is not being able to do high impact cardio sucks big ones (I got a hip dysplasia diagnosis yesterday, I'm in the grieving process.........).
    To the first one, fair enough. I did post before breakfast. Always a bad idea.

Second one: So sorry to hear that. I completely agree with you on the cardio, and getting that diagnosis is absolutely, completely PANTS.

EDIT. Also a bit personally surprised by the popularity of vegan diets for purely health reasons, but it's led to a boom in the availability and diversity of vegan biscuits on the high street, so yay! Also, kind of morally bound to be pleased about people voluntarily reducing their meat consumption, so, also yay.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Dessert after meals is unnecessary and does nothing good for your health.

Unnecessary, true. Does nothing good for your health, that depends. If you really like having dessert after a meal and having it helps you moderate your calories and reduce your stress level, then it can be very healthy.

Is eating to reduce stress, dessert or anything else for that matter, really a good way to cope with stress?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Dessert after meals is unnecessary and does nothing good for your health.

Unnecessary, true. Does nothing good for your health, that depends. If you really like having dessert after a meal and having it helps you moderate your calories and reduce your stress level, then it can be very healthy.

Is eating to reduce stress, dessert or anything else for that matter, really a good way to cope with stress?

Food is fuel, first and foremost. Ideally, it is the fuel that tastes good. Any type of emotional importance attached to food (aside from ceremonies (like birthdays, holidays) or food that has religious or ethnic meaning ) is of no benefit.
This discussion has been closed.