Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That there can be a mental component to weight loss. Depression and anxiety can wreak havoc on a person's thoughts and motivation. I struggle with this every time I have to go grocery shopping. The fear I have about what people think while I put fruits and veggies in my basket. While I *know* that it doesn't matter what they think, that voice in my head still shouts.

Agree with the first part, but this surprises me. To the extent I think anyone is looking at my purchases, I think they'd be thinking positive (or unobjectionable) things about getting fruits and veg. Do I imagine they might think something wrong/weird about other purchases? Not so much anymore, but if I were feeling sensitive or self conscious, maybe, in some cases, and I get that.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @theresejesu are you turing complete?

Turing?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

ManOman . . . @stanmann571: You and I aren't always on the same wavelength, to say the least . . . but that's hilarious as baby feline, right there. Thanks for the belly laugh!.

Code breaker?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

ManOman . . . @stanmann571: You and I aren't always on the same wavelength, to say the least . . . but that's hilarious as baby feline, right there. Thanks for the belly laugh!.

Code breaker?

T.D.i.P.: Alan Turing. Turing test. Google it. There's a hoot in there.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    SeriousCat wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'm against any position that encourages victim status - HAES, slow metabolism, FA...certainly not a popular opinion as the world has rejected any notion of personal responsibility and accountability and solely devoted to casting blame on something or someone else.

Really unpopular opinion, but also alcohol. No, you do not have a disease. No, you are not powerless over your problem. You are personally responsible for the CHOICES you make, so choosing to stop making bad ones.

That's the 12-step crap I hate. The powerless aspect, the disease theory. How it's about "character defects." There ARE neurological reasons reasons that make it hard to stop, that other people will never understand because they can drink casually, but once you know those reasons and that you just can't tolerate alcohol, there's no excuse.
This discussion has been closed.