Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Big is beautiful...(when said about obese people)

No it's not... It's heart disease, liver disease and many other illnesses breeding inside you because you can't control your cravings.

This isn't a dig it's a fact.

Those that are on here that are obese I would assume are here to improve themselves and to them I say I salute you.

To those that choose to continue without change, I am disturbed by you and your lack of love for the only body you'll ever have.

a.) plenty of fat ppl don't get those issues and plenty of thin people do... you know that. Why oversimplify?
    b.) you can be disturbed all you want but I agree with you that the habits and behaviors that got them/us fat probably have to do with a lack of self love. Ergo, step 1 is finding yourself beautiful and lovable and step 2 is deciding that that means you're worth the work it takes to food prep, the work it takes to say no to excess food, it's all hard work. And if you don't first believe you're worth it... how do you ever love yourself enough to do it??? Sure, some people get stuck on step 1 and that may be a problem for them and possible others... but that doesn't mean it's not an important step.

Plenty smokers never get lung cancer.

is that perhaps why you don't see people *kitten* on smokers the way they do on fat people?

You haven't been around many smokers then. Or haven't seen any cigarette packages in the past years.

Honestly, as a nonsmoker, I think that there's a fair amount of overreach... and it's one of the reasons I'm so vigorous about resisting the idea that the solution is more labelling.

The label could say "Hey moron, smoking is bad for you, you could get cancer or emphysema."

Instead, they now say "If you smoke another cigarette, you'll die tomorrow" or some comparable woo that makes the warning label less than useless.

It's been a while since I've seen one (quit smoking a long time ago). Did they change them to make them more dramatic? The ones I remember were like "Quitting smoking greatly reduces your health risk" or something like that. And another one about smoking being associated with low birth weight for infants.

Clearly they made a huge impression on me. :smiley:

Ours now have very graphic illustrations on them accompanying the health warnings.

Here too.

I'll put a link, so people have the option of looking:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Canada+cigarette+warning+labels&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP2Nvt7OPUAhUq7IMKHeebDHEQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=611

those seem pretty tame compared to a few I've seen here. Like a smoker's lung, a foot with a missing toe and stuff like that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

No it's not... It's heart disease, liver disease and many other illnesses breeding inside you because you can't control your cravings.

Those that are on here that are obese I would assume are here to improve themselves and to them I say I salute you.

To those that choose to continue without change, I am disturbed by you and your lack of love for the only body you'll ever have.

a.) plenty of fat ppl don't get those issues and plenty of thin people do... you know that. Why oversimplify?
    b.) you can be disturbed all you want but I agree with you that the habits and behaviors that got them/us fat probably have to do with a lack of self love. Ergo, step 1 is finding yourself beautiful and lovable and step 2 is deciding that that means you're worth the work it takes to food prep, the work it takes to say no to excess food, it's all hard work. And if you don't first believe you're worth it... how do you ever love yourself enough to do it??? Sure, some people get stuck on step 1 and that may be a problem for them and possible others... but that doesn't mean it's not an important step.

is that perhaps why you don't see people *kitten* on smokers the way they do on fat people?

Are you searching for truth or are you trying to be right?

Two very different things, but only one road leads to success.

thanks dude I'm pretty happy with my level of success.

idk about where you guys live but I'm in a university town and so many people smoke. No one ever makes fun of them in the streets. They can buy cigarettes at any store. If you see a pic of someone smoking on fb, there aren't dozen of ppl mocking them and giving them *kitten*. Perhaps we're in different bubbles.

Nah they just aren't allowed to do it in most places and get graphic reminders about how they're slowly killing themselves every time they buy their vice.
    How would you feel if every time you bought a loaf of bread it had a label saying "hey, obesity causes diabetes and heart disease, it makes you impotent, *kitten* with your hormones, you'll die earlier."

* with pictures of cut open obese corpses, fat covered hearts and stuff like that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This has turned weirdly anti wanting to be and agreeing with there being such a thing as an optimally healthy weight range. I don't recall ever being this hateful about others perfectly healthy behaviours when I was fat.

As for smoking, in the UK there are grotty pictures on the packaging and shops can lo longer display them for sale, they're kept in locked/shuttered cabinets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

idk about where you guys live but I'm in a university town and so many people smoke. No one ever makes fun of them in the streets. They can buy cigarettes at any store. If you see a pic of someone smoking on fb, there aren't dozen of ppl mocking them and giving them *kitten*. Perhaps we're in different bubbles.

Nah they just aren't allowed to do it in most places and get graphic reminders about how they're slowly killing themselves every time they buy their vice.
    How would you feel if every time you bought a loaf of bread it had a label saying "hey, obesity causes diabetes and heart disease, it makes you impotent, *kitten* with your hormones, you'll die earlier."

* with pictures of cut open obese corpses, fat covered hearts and stuff like that.

Thailand had campaign against diabetes with "Sweet Kills" posters that are very graphic. They are done up to represent the types of wounds people get on their limbs from diabetes, but with dessert foods.

A little off the mark, because context, yo, but still, compelling:

http://www.boredpanda.com/sweet-kills-sugar-harm-advertisement-uncontrolled-diabetes-wounds/

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Thailand had campaign against diabetes with "Sweet Kills" posters that are very graphic. They are done up to represent the types of wounds people get on their limbs from diabetes, but with dessert foods.

A little off the mark, because context, yo, but still, compelling:

http://www.boredpanda.com/sweet-kills-sugar-harm-advertisement-uncontrolled-diabetes-wounds/

Oh, man! Too bad you can't lick your own elbow. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Or perhaps you don't see what doesn't affect you.

I used to smoke and people would absolutely call me out when I was walking down the street. Or into a restaurant. When I was a waitress in a restaurant with a smoking section we would get activist groups come in specifically to harass the people in the smoking section.

I'm sorry to hear that. I do think it might just be accepted where I live. I have several good friends who smoke and have never heard any of this walking down the street with them.

I don't smoke and don't really like smoking (it's more pleasant for me that it's not permitted in restaurants or indoor places in general any more), but I have friends who are smokers and see smokers get flack all the time. For example, being told that it's unhealthy by random people (as if they are idiots), exaggerated hand waving and coughing, stuff like that.

On the other hand, in all the time I was fat, I didn't get people coming up to me and telling me I was fat or saying ugh (I did get occasional nonsense from jerks but it was unclear it was related to being fat, as I get stuff occasionally but rarely from passing men when not fat too that feels similar). I had one friend mention it in a well-meaning way. Now, I was very conscious of being overweight and felt unattractive (but a LOT of that is from me and is my stuff, I saw women as heavy as me who seemed to feel great about themselves physically).

Anyway, I've kind of lost track of why this is relevant to this particular thread.

People think smoking is bad for you and increases risk, and it does. Not all smokers will get some smoking related disease. Similarly, people think obesity is bad for you and increases risk, and it does. Not all overweight people will get some health problem that obesity contributes to, and it's not always that simple to isolate causes.

I don't understand why you would deny that obesity is a risk factor for many health issues, T2D being one of the most obvious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dybbukgirl wrote: »
    Oh gosh, and here's the biggest unpopular opinion: Macros matter more than calories. If all your calories come from just fat, or just carbs, things probably aren't going to work for you. You need to calculate your macro needs!

I would agree that eating all fat or all protein or all carbs would be super unhealthy, but I still think macros aren't that important for most people.

The range of healthy (if you have an otherwise healthy diet) macro break downs is ENORMOUS, and almost no one eats outside such a range naturally. Traditional diets (which generally seem not to have associated health issues) are all over the place when it comes to macros.

My unpopular (maybe?) opinion is that the specific sources of the carbs, fat, and protein in your diet are more important than the percentages of them. That's why I prefer the term "flexible dieting" to IIFYM.
This discussion has been closed.