Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    So don't give in this lunch or dinner to the marketer's and food engineers at fast food chains, their very profits are bet against your ability to free that super hero inside of you! Think about it, why do they have to make their frys so salty?

And remember that if you really know better and give in to McDonald's and the food industry anyway... Then csardiver is right... Otherwise be ready to fight for your health because they are against you, don't believe they are not...

Now it's up to you to eat wise and exercise!

So if I go to McD's or Wendy's or Jack or any other food establishment and get a salad with plain grilled chicken (no fries, no burger, etc), have I then given in to the 'establishment' and lost my soul in the process?!?!?

Imagine if you ordered a cheeseburger and fries!!! >:)>:)>:)

mmm fries

giphy.gif

When the US obesity rate reaches 90%, "Mmm Fries" will officially replace "E Pluribus Unum" on all of our currency...

giphy.gif

ETA: we can air fry them if you want :*

That is the glorious part of MFP - half the people are scratching and clawing to eat at a deficit and the other half are gushing over all of the greasy, high calorie - high fat food they eat

The really fun part is that looking at the respective food diaries, the so-called "greasy high cal - high fat" folks don't eat that differently in practice in a lot of cases from the "oh so clean" . . . and sometimes even eat more nutritiously. I think the recently (semi-)converted can sometimes be the biggest proselytizers. No universals, of course.

I don't think the "oh so clean" people really give a rat's about it it - this site has a lot of "oh so fat" people who probably can't fit 510 calories & 24g of fat from an order of large fries from McDonald's into a deficit oriented diet, so I've always found MFP an odd place to brag about eating these types of foods.

I'm not parsing this.

The truly fat people in many cases have higher TDEEs, so can fit some fries (why would it be large? mostly I see people saying you can eat fast food and giving examples where they skip the fries or have small or have it as a rare indulgence meal).

The "oh so clean" people seem to go on and on about how they don't eat processed foods when the diaries from "clean eaters" I've seen look similar to what I eat (which isn't clean) or often more processed stuff (which is fine, processed stuff can fit in a healthful diet). Very, very often the people going on about eating clean are, as the prior poster said, brand new to cooking at all (after eating way more fast food or frozen stuff than many of us ever did, and having much more fondness for packaged sweets than many of us ever did) and they think that eating McD's only a couple of times a week is "clean" or some such and that everyone not self-proclaimed "clean" must not care about nutrition at all and eating a horrible diet, which is annoying.

Not everyone is on a diet, not everyone eating at a deficit is "scratching and clawing" to get there, and most people who say "I still eat some so called junk food or fast food" will explain it's more rarely or in smaller amounts than before. I love Indian food and decided I didn't want to skip everything I loved most to construct a deficit appropriate meal (this was when I was on a deficit) and so I decided to go only once a month, usually on a long run or long bike day. Nice, but saying I still go have curry and naan doesn't mean I can eat that all the time or wasn't keeping a deficit.

If you are a 6 ft 50 year old man who is 100lbs overweight and trying to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week , running a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and eating 2,000 calories a day after eating 3,500 calories a day +for years, that is scratching and clawing for that person. That is a huge difference and a big lifestyle adjustment. I'm trying to understand why that person (or anyone else, to be honest) would want to read about fit people enjoying their fries and donuts on a fitness site.

What is funny haha about this is I had a person on my Friend list tell me something similar but basically said please stop talking about all the food you are making/eating...

my response was ah no...I am losing weight the way I want and if you don't like it you know where the door is...

I was that person losing weight making and eating donuts...fries...pies...nachos etc.

it's not just fit folks that enjoy food and talking about ti.
    So don't give in this lunch or dinner to the marketer's and food engineers at fast food chains, their very profits are bet against your ability to free that super hero inside of you! Think about it, why do they have to make their frys so salty?

And remember that if you really know better and give in to McDonald's and the food industry anyway... Then csardiver is right... Otherwise be ready to fight for your health because they are against you, don't believe they are not...

So if I go to McD's or Wendy's or Jack or any other food establishment and get a salad with plain grilled chicken (no fries, no burger, etc), have I then given in to the 'establishment' and lost my soul in the process?!?!?

mmm fries

giphy.gif

When the US obesity rate reaches 90%, "Mmm Fries" will officially replace "E Pluribus Unum" on all of our currency...

giphy.gif

That is the glorious part of MFP - half the people are scratching and clawing to eat at a deficit and the other half are gushing over all of the greasy, high calorie - high fat food they eat

The really fun part is that looking at the respective food diaries, the so-called "greasy high cal - high fat" folks don't eat that differently in practice in a lot of cases from the "oh so clean" . . . and sometimes even eat more nutritiously. I think the recently (semi-)converted can sometimes be the biggest proselytizers. No universals, of course.

I don't think the "oh so clean" people really give a rat's about it it - this site has a lot of "oh so fat" people who probably can't fit 510 calories & 24g of fat from an order of large fries from McDonald's into a deficit oriented diet, so I've always found MFP an odd place to brag about eating these types of foods.

I'm not parsing this.

The truly fat people in many cases have higher TDEEs, so can fit some fries (why would it be large? mostly I see people saying you can eat fast food and giving examples where they skip the fries or have small or have it as a rare indulgence meal).

The "oh so clean" people seem to go on and on about how they don't eat processed foods when the diaries from "clean eaters" I've seen look similar to what I eat (which isn't clean) or often more processed stuff (which is fine, processed stuff can fit in a healthful diet). Very, very often the people going on about eating clean are, as the prior poster said, brand new to cooking at all (after eating way more fast food or frozen stuff than many of us ever did, and having much more fondness for packaged sweets than many of us ever did) and they think that eating McD's only a couple of times a week is "clean" or some such and that everyone not self-proclaimed "clean" must not care about nutrition at all and eating a horrible diet, which is annoying.

Not everyone is on a diet, not everyone eating at a deficit is "scratching and clawing" to get there, and most people who say "I still eat some so called junk food or fast food" will explain it's more rarely or in smaller amounts than before. I love Indian food and decided I didn't want to skip everything I loved most to construct a deficit appropriate meal (this was when I was on a deficit) and so I decided to go only once a month, usually on a long run or long bike day. Nice, but saying I still go have curry and naan doesn't mean I can eat that all the time or wasn't keeping a deficit.

If you are a 6 ft 50 year old man who is 100lbs overweight and trying to lose 1-1.5 lbs per week , running a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and eating 2,000 calories a day after eating 3,500 calories a day +for years, that is scratching and clawing for that person. That is a huge difference and a big lifestyle adjustment. I'm trying to understand why that person (or anyone else, to be honest) would want to read about fit people enjoying their fries and donuts on a fitness site.

What is funny haha about this is I had a person on my Friend list tell me something similar but basically said please stop talking about all the food you are making/eating...

my response was ah no...I am losing weight the way I want and if you don't like it you know where the door is...

I was that person losing weight making and eating donuts...fries...pies...nachos etc.

Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - Ground Beef Enchilada & Tostada With Beef & Cheese, 1 meal 845
    Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - Extra Chips, 12 Chips 140
    Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - Extra Salsa, 8 oz 43
    Chipotle - Margarita, 44 fl. oz. 770

1,798 calorie dinner - look how awesome I am, I can absorb this and still be in good shape! You are welcome for the inspiration, if you are overweight and trying to eat at a deficit I'm sure this is what you joined MFP for...

Perhaps that was all they ate that day. Perhaps they had been "banking" calories all week because they knew they were going to eat that meal. Perhaps their normal daily intake includes 15 serves of fruit and vegies.

That was my dinner last night...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

mmm fries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not parsing this.

mmm fries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not parsing this.

Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - Ground Beef Enchilada & Tostada With Beef & Cheese, 1 meal 845

1,798 calorie dinner - look how awesome I am, I can absorb this and still be in good shape! You are welcome for the inspiration, if you are overweight and trying to eat at a deficit I'm sure this is what you joined MFP for...

Perhaps that was all they ate that day. Perhaps they had been "banking" calories all week because they knew they were going to eat that meal. Perhaps their normal daily intake includes 15 serves of fruit and vegies.

Winning.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

mmm fries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not parsing this.

mmm fries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not parsing this.

Doing it right.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    And queue the experts... Lol

I haven't heard this much woo dropped in such a short amount of time in one place since HIMYM was on the air.

LOVE that show!!! :heart:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    welp, here's one.

i find it irritating that almost any question around 'issues' on the fitness side of this community draws a rote 'see a doctor' response. i get the general idea behind it, but imo the bar has been set way too low. it annoys me because it just seems to be unnecessarily draconian and doctrinaire - there's nothing wrong with giving a person who asks a set of options or possibilities and letting them do a little self-help as part of the process of working out whatever the issue is.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I can't get enough of this thread:P

- I think a lot of the female bodies that are lauded as 'fit' are actually very distasteful - especially in the UK, the Middleton sisters (ugh) are held up as the pinnacle of health/beauty, when in fact one of them is a skinny waif and the other is completely devoid of curves and quite mannishly built.

- And on the other end of the spectrum, the big *kitten* phenomenon is horrid. I don't want a gigantic behind, it looks false and ridiculous.

- I think there will be a proven link one day with aspartame and gall stones... of course, people are free to drink litres of diet soda but I think they'll pay for it later down the line.

- Not enough emphasis is put on "moderation in everything, everything in moderation."

Lol bless your heart.

Which "bless your heart" was that?
This discussion has been closed.