Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Yeah. I didn't really care about my weight until my health suffered and my doctor told me that weight-loss was the single best thing I could do to manage my condition. So, yeah, I can only speak for myself, but weightloss and avoidance of lymphedema flare-ups are pretty well intertwined at this point. Health is the goal and weightloss is the process.

I don't agree with your doctor

Imma go with the opinion of the doctor who sees an array of people of all weights and fitness and illnesses day in day out.

cool it's almost like this is a forum thread specifically for people to share their opinions.

It's on the debate board. If you don't want to debate your opinions then this might be the wrong section for you. Why don't people get this?

If you took the time to look over my posts, I've said the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

That's not debating, though. That's simply sticking your head in the sand, ignoring others' points. Debating would mean arguing actual points, as opposed to just saying that it's your opinion.

have you read what i've been writing? I am reading posts, analyzing them, and rebutting them. Debating doesn't mean I have to change my mind.

Your way of rebutting is "nah can't be because of weight."

can you read? I've talked over and over again about healthy lifestyle changes, examples of different motivations and goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get slammed for saying GMO's exist and are responsible for tons of health issues involving americans daily

Nobody disputes that GMOs exist. At least nobody rational.

What health issues are you referring to?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I didn't really care about my weight until my health suffered and my doctor told me that weight-loss was the single best thing I could do to manage my condition. So, yeah, I can only speak for myself, but weightloss and avoidance of lymphedema flare-ups are pretty well intertwined at this point. Health is the goal and weightloss is the process.

Are you a HAES proponent?

Because I can tell you, as someone who undertook weight loss specifically because reaching a healthy body weight is recommended to manage my particular medical condition, it is totally FALSE that weight is not tied to health in many medical conditions.

In fact, although I am a healthy weight, my goal is to get to the very low end of BMI for optimal management of my medical condition.

I have two forms of arthritis. Arthritis is not a weight-neutral disease. Reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight is the best thing you can do for it, much as it was the same thing estherdragon could do for lymphedema. And yes, weight loss is the best thing you can do for that condition.

Losing weight has normalized my blood sugar, blood pressure, and lipid profile. My triglycerides are down nearly 4 fold. This is one of the weirdest cases of "la la la I can't hear you" I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot, including flat earthers and people who believe in high society reptilians. Obesity is strongly linked to some diseases and the correlation is quite direct and demonstrable.

I would argue that the lifestyle changes that you made normalized your blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. Weight loss is a byproduct of healthy lifestyle changes.

The evidence is that for some conditions merely losing weight, however it is achieved (and there are dramatically different diets followed, including just eating less) makes a huge difference, on average, to the health problems.

Many people have improvement in blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes/IR, to name just a few issues, just with weight loss.

I had NO bad test results when I decided to lose weight, despite being about 50+ lbs over a healthy weight by BMI at the time. That doesn't mean that I had no health reasons to lose weight (and I was already eating a nutrient-dense diet, it's a falsehood that all fat people don't care about nutrition, and was active on and off, although I found doing anything much besides walking and light bike riding and some swimming frustrating when that fat). Instead, my obesity was a huge health risk.

You seem to be saying since I was eating well and at times was active, just being more consistently active is all I should have worried about -- not weight loss, since I had no current health concerns, and apparently not the fact that I was embarrassed about how I looked, wanted to be able to run again and bike better, and really and truly just wanted to enjoy clothes shopping again and not be depressed every time a photo was taken of me.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Because I can tell you, as someone who undertook weight loss specifically because reaching a healthy body weight is recommended to manage my particular medical condition, it is totally FALSE that weight is not tied to health in many medical conditions.

In fact, although I am a healthy weight, my goal is to get to the very low end of BMI for optimal management of my medical condition.

I have two forms of arthritis. Arthritis is not a weight-neutral disease. Reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight is the best thing you can do for it, much as it was the same thing estherdragon could do for lymphedema. And yes, weight loss is the best thing you can do for that condition.

Losing weight has normalized my blood sugar, blood pressure, and lipid profile. My triglycerides are down nearly 4 fold. This is one of the weirdest cases of "la la la I can't hear you" I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot, including flat earthers and people who believe in high society reptilians. Obesity is strongly linked to some diseases and the correlation is quite direct and demonstrable.

I would argue that the lifestyle changes that you made normalized your blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. Weight loss is a byproduct of healthy lifestyle changes.

The evidence is that for some conditions merely losing weight, however it is achieved (and there are dramatically different diets followed, including just eating less) makes a huge difference, on average, to the health problems.

Many people have improvement in blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes/IR, to name just a few issues, just with weight loss.

I had NO bad test results when I decided to lose weight, despite being about 50+ lbs over a healthy weight by BMI at the time. That doesn't mean that I had no health reasons to lose weight (and I was already eating a nutrient-dense diet, it's a falsehood that all fat people don't care about nutrition, and was active on and off, although I found doing anything much besides walking and light bike riding and some swimming frustrating when that fat). Instead, my obesity was a huge health risk.

You seem to be saying since I was eating well and at times was active, just being more consistently active is all I should have worried about -- not weight loss, since I had no current health concerns, and apparently not the fact that I was embarrassed about how I looked, wanted to be able to run again and bike better, and really and truly just wanted to enjoy clothes shopping again and not be depressed every time a photo was taken of me.

Why are you twisting this to make it as if he's talking about your emotional health related to the weight?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Imma go with the opinion of the doctor who sees an array of people of all weights and fitness and illnesses day in day out.

cool it's almost like this is a forum thread specifically for people to share their opinions.

It's on the debate board. If you don't want to debate your opinions then this might be the wrong section for you. Why don't people get this?

If you took the time to look over my posts, I've said the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

That's not debating, though. That's simply sticking your head in the sand, ignoring others' points. Debating would mean arguing actual points, as opposed to just saying that it's your opinion.

have you read what i've been writing? I am reading posts, analyzing them, and rebutting them. Debating doesn't mean I have to change my mind.

Your way of rebutting is "nah can't be because of weight."

can you read? I've talked over and over again about healthy lifestyle changes, examples of different motivations and goals.

You haven't talked about any different motivations and goals! You feel everyone should be motivated by the desire to pursue a healthy lifestyle.
  • MJ2victory
    Options

that's really sad. I'm sorry that you felt that way.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You're projecting. That's not healthy.

Will you please answer my question: do you think health is weight neutral?

To be fair, I think she was referring to the last paragraph, where lemurcat expressed embarassment and depression. I could be wrong, of course.
  • MJ2victory
    Options

I was responding to this statement in their post: " I was embarrassed about how I looked, wanted to be able to run again and bike better, and really and truly just wanted to enjoy clothes shopping again and not be depressed every time a photo was taken of me". It made me sad. No one should have to feel that way.

Your question is made up of buzzwords and makes no sense. Health is really complicated and weight is literally just a manifestation of habits and choices.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

To be fair, I think she was referring to the last paragraph, where lemurcat expressed embarassment and depression. I could be wrong, of course.

To be honest, I've read the other poster's profile and know how she saw lemurcat's last paragraph through her own personal lens.

Lemurcat was never as down on herself as the OP got, and that was my point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why are you twisting this to make it as if he's talking about your emotional health related to the weight?

She's a she, according to her profile.

Why do you think I'm suggesting that she is talking about my emotional health?

She said that the only good (non disordered) reason to lose weight was health.

She also said that weight doesn't really lead to poor health, but only bad lifestyle, and so weight loss should involve lifestyle changes that are positive (I generally agree with this, but not everyone fat eats a bad diet -- other than by overeating, which all fat people did -- or is inactive). But more to the point, she seemed to be saying I had no health concerns from being fat (since being fat alone is not a concern), and that my other reasons for losing were invalid.

It's possible I misunderstood, that's why I asked, but I honestly can't make any sense of your response here. I'd love for you to clarify. I didn't think she was talking about MY emotional health at all.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    ok I'm ready to weigh in on this (hahaha I crack myself up). Here are my unpopular opinions:

1. Weighing daily is unhealthy. (not to say it isn't tempting)
    2. Weight loss should not be your objective. It's a side affect of making healthier choices.
    3. Mental health is just as important as physical health (if not more).
    4. If you lose weight bc you hate yourself, you will still hate yourself at your goal weight and you WILL gain it back.

Sometimes, losing weight (in and of itself) is the best thing a person can do for their health.

not if they're going to immediately gain it back because they didn't deal with their relationship with food and the emotional baggage that may have caused them to gain the weight.

Who says they didn't deal with those issues as a means to the goal of losing weight?

like I said in my original post: my opinion is that weight loss should be a byproduct, not the goal. The goal is to feel better, be more physically able, not eat emotionally, love yourself, etc. Weight is just your relationship with gravity. If you make lifestyle changes, you may lose weight, but it's about the weakest measurement of health.

That's just silly.

I can't get much more physically able. The photo to the left is me at 249 lbs. at that point I was running a 9 minute mile for reps.

I choose to lose weight because I wish to be lighter and slightly more healthy.

I felt great about myself summer 2015 when that photo was taken I feel great about myself now 20 lbs lighter
This discussion has been closed.