Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion I have is that fat-shaming has its place as long as the person doesn't have a legitimate eating disorder or medical problem. Hey, I was obese and if it wasn't for being fat-shamed I'd be even bigger today instead of 195lbs and 10%bf with an addiction to nutrition and working out. So don't say I haven't walked in their shoes. The problem I have with it is your obesity is affecting EVERYONE. Medical costs, health insurance costs, fast food on every corner from demand, you flowing onto my lap on the plane, etc, etc, etc.

shame isn't the right word, but i tend to agree.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that being fat has nothing to do with sugar.

Not even proximately? Doesn't sugar tend to make food more delicious, increasing the tendency to consume greater quantities of it, and potentially resulting in consuming more calories than one burns?

Sure, if you interpret it that way then being fat is also related to dietary fat, salt, spices, herbs, aromatics, maillard reaction, yeast, flavorings, packaging, coloring agents, texture agents, strategic shelf placement, peer pressure, and more. All of these make food more appealing, so singling out sugar makes no sense.

So you're saying sugar DOES contribute to making one fat?

There is only one thing that definitively causes someone to be overweight/obese/morbidly obese. Eating too many calories for their individual energy balance (CI > CO). These excess calories can come from foods which contain sugar (rarely do people eat straight table sugar but some insist it happens), but more often than not, the foods contain myriad other ingredients so the point is, why single out sugar? Still others have pointed out that they gained weight eating a lot of non-sugary foods, I myself am one of those. I got fat from eating a little too much, of a lot of different foods, and becoming much more sedentary, but don't have a particularly strong sweet tooth.

People tend to focus more on sugar because the recommended American diet is so high in carbs which convert to glucose much more easily than say protein.

Not even close. The American diet composition is remarkably high in FAT, not carbohydrates.

http://chartsbin.com/view/1154
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1158

Of course, this isn't the primary issue. The issue is the American diet is high in CALORIES.
    http://chartsbin.com/view/1160

On calories, I agree.

However, using your own examples, carbohydrates make up a larger percentage of total diet, and the fat intake doesn't appear remarkable at all unless you cherry-pick data. Remarkably high compared to Ethiopia? Sure. High compared to most of Europe? Not at all...

Looking at the most recent data (2005-2007), the United States is ranked 16th out of 176 by contribution of fat to dietary calorie intake. Going from lowest to highest on carb contribution, we are number 10. I mean, sure, there are higher, but we are WAY up there on the list.

If we limit ourselves to just the developed world, The United States still has a higher than average fat contribution and lower than average carb contribution. And despite this, our obesity rate is higher. Probably because we rank 1st in dietary energy consumption at 3770 kcal/person/day...

Apologies if this has been reported previously, but is there a decent source to find activity by country/region? My observation working in both the US and EU is that EU is far more active. US commutes by car even for short distances. The only studies I've found are self reported and highly dubious.

It seems there was a study done recently which used smart phone data, but it's behind a paywall.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v547/n7663/full/nature23018.html
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2017
    I really think there's something to Intermittent Fasting....

It is a great tool to keep calorie intake within goals without feeling as hungry. I use IF to feel more satisfied by my meals. Trying to spread a limited amount of calories over a full day just makes me feel deprived, and I've never been a breakfast person. I also worry less about my digestive issues interfering with my life and eat when I have time to prepare my food at home.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Nope. I'mma switch to Boron.

there's always one :tongue:

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Don't you mean "HeHeHeHeHe"?

i like you. you can have free helium for the first year.

And this is exactly why I shall begin the Boron Resistance Movement. I shan't become just another minion to someone who sees themselves as a benevolent overload while controlling the population's helium.

butbutbut . . . oh fine. i'm an introvert anyway, prolly don't want the whole world trying to buy stuff from me.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Don't you mean "HeHeHeHeHe"?

i like you. you can have free helium for the first year.

And this is exactly why I shall begin the Boron Resistance Movement. I shan't become just another minion to someone who sees themselves as a benevolent overload while controlling the population's helium.

butbutbut . . . oh fine. i'm an introvert anyway, prolly don't want the whole world trying to buy stuff from me.

Not to mention the assassination attempts. :worried:
This discussion has been closed.