Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    I didn't even know there were corn chips that were still non GMO. The more you know.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I didn't even know there were corn chips that were still non GMO. The more you know.

Sweet corn is still almost exclusively non-GMO, although some GMO varieties have started to make inroads. The bulk of corn (90%) is grown is for animal feed and ethanol. Those varieties are the ones which are heavily GMO.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    It is true that people are much less likely to buy a product if it says "Contains Gmo's"

What I fail to understand is why all these "pro market", "Gov't should stay out of business" people are so afraid of letting the market decide what they want to consume.

All you people who are against labeling know damn well that if you walk into a store to buy dinner for your kids and see two versions of the same product at the same price and one says "Contains Gmo's" you're going to choose the other.

And if you don't care, thats okay, but plenty others do. Food labeling should not be something that is voted on, it should just be mandatory.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh you people are going to hate me.

- Artificial flavors, preservatives, and sweeteners are terrible for you. If your a paleo preacher, you shouldn't defend artificial sweeteners in the same breath.

- If companies like Nestle, Tyson and McDonald's can make a buck by selling you poison in a box, they will not only do it, but will higher entire universities to figure out the best way to systematically do it, with the highest return. It's also strange how the same people who argue for their right to do so, are the same people that will deny they do so.

- Organic is not the scam, Coca-Cola, fast food, the Corn industry, factory farms, and Monsanto are the scam.

- The rise in obesity and heart disease is do in part to a systematic approach to profit as much as possible against the cost of your health...

- Last thought, I hear all the time about people "giving up" or "quitting" soda. It's not easy, most experience headaches and feel like crap while trying to quit. Many fail, or have to whim themselves off over time..... Come on! What the *kitten* are they putting are food that grown adults have such a hard time "quitting" something like soda... How in the hell is some poor little boy or girl going to stand a chance against billion dollar industries with a university of chemist behind them.

- These companies also pay food engineers to come on forums like mfp to defend their products.

Because as everyone knows, dead customers buy the most stuff.

Also "what they put in" soda is called caffeine, you might know it from drinks such as coffee and is probably the most deadly thing in a can of soda, i.e. it has the lowest lethal dose.

Ah, of course you beat me to it! ;-)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    It is true that people are much less likely to buy a product if it says "Contains Gmo's"

What I fail to understand is why all these "pro market", "Gov't should stay out of business" people are so afraid of letting the market decide what they want to consume.

All you people who are against labeling know damn well that if you walk into a store to buy dinner for your kids and see two versions of the same product at the same price and one says "Contains Gmo's" you're going to choose the other.

And if you don't care, thats okay, but plenty others do. Food labeling should not be something that is voted on, it should just be mandatory.

Food labeling is mandatory.

Corn, wheat, etc all right there on the label.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017

I'm not particularly "gov't should stay out of business" in that there are lots and lots of regulations I support, but I am generally pro market. IMO, that's why if organics and/or non GMOs are preferred by consumers (or a segment of them), producers adding voluntary labels to identify those products makes total sense. Same with labels about how animals were treated and so on. I have my own way of identifying foods I wish to buy (I mainly buy from local farms, although in the winter I buy produce conventionally and grown far away, since I live in a colder climate), but I fully support allowing voluntary non GMO and organic labels, as we do.

There is some dispute about how non GMO should be defined, which is why (one of the many reasons) it makes sense for those who care about avoiding them to define what qualifies for the label.

That's not true. Something I buy often that has a "no GMO" label is tofu (also tempeh), and I would not choose that above GMO tofu if they tasted the same and one was cheaper or if the GMO one tasted better. (Mostly I don't check.)

If you care, however, find the kind labeled no GMO.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I'm not against labeling because I couldn't care less, but I would choose the one that tastes better. If I had no experience with either product I buy both and decide later which one I will continue buying. If there are several products I just grab whichever 2-3 products I reach for first and "look nice". Whether we want to admit it or not, packaging does influence buying decisions for the first purchase.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I personally ignore all irrelevant information on a package -- I don't use it to make purchasing decisions.

This discussion has been closed.