Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll -- if it's just the xantham gum that bothers you, leave it out. It seems to work just as well. As for raw vegetables, that's sad. Sorry. Don't like Cole slaw, but I don't think I could live without salad
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I can't do fluff any more because xantham gum and I do not get along.

Otherwise, I'd try that lemon/chia version.

One of the bad things about being a volume person and having IBS: I had to come to the sad conclusion this week that raw vegetables and I need to part company.

No more salads. No more veggie trays with ranch/Greek yogurt dip.

I just don't handle them well and haven't for a long time.

I'm going to see if I'm okay with blanched veggies, so maybe I can still do veggies/dip. I will miss salads, though.

And coleslaw. I love coleslaw.

Omg I'm so sad for you :(

FYI I don't use xanthum gum and my fluff turns out great without!
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh, the Cinnamon Crunch Protein Fluff (Quest):

Eat this immediately, I halved the portion (its huge) and froze 1/2 right after I made it to see how it freezes. I might half the recipe next time because it's a lot!

I added these amounts but here's mine in the order I add to the mixer (not a blender):

Total: (The entire bowl pictured) - 92 calories
    5 Ingredients:
    3 teaspoon (from the Spoonable 9.8 oz Jar)-Truvia
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 6Protein 0

12 FL OZ (355 mL) Diet Soda-A&w Root Beer
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 0Protein 0

0.50 package Whip It Stabilizer for Whipping Cream-Dr. Oetker
    calories 20 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 5Protein 0

17 gram Cinnamon Crunch-Quest Nutrition
    calories 57 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 11

0.25 tsp Xanthan Gum-Bob's Red Mill
    calories 15 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 4Protein 0

Blend all of that until the mixture starts to thicken, scrape down the sides of the mixer with a spatula as it is mixing.

Blend on high for 6-8 minutes. Stop and stir a little, and scrape down the sides of the mixer, and repeat. Mix for another 5 minutes. It will thicken very much!

Total:
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0 (This is for the ENTIRE bowl)
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 92
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 1 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 3 mg 1 %
    Sodium 336 mg 14 %
    Potassium 37 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 6 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 11 g 23 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 17 %
    Iron 1 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

While Mixing It thickened quickly
    e0rm71go6qwj.jpg

After I stopped Mixing..you can see its thick on the beaters
    5cssu348jlns.jpg

After being frozen for about 45mins-hour
    2q2yfbnr4jcm.jpg

I used the giant mixing bowl and then ate out of it :) Enjoy
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hm. I tried that ice cream recipe and didn't get the volume of a mixing bowl. My fluff gets it but it seemed like you guys were claiming the ice cream one gets that high too. Admittedly, the texture is better than fluff. I must need to perfect it.

I did a caramel snickerdoodle "ice cream". Pretty good.
  • bbell1985
    Options

One of the bad things about being a volume person and having IBS: I had to come to the sad conclusion this week that raw vegetables and I need to part company.

I'm going to see if I'm okay with blanched veggies, so maybe I can still do veggies/dip. I will miss salads, though.

I have IBS too. I think it started when I increased the size and frequency of cold salads and decreased cook veg, now that I think of it...hmm...hm...
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Try slippery elm powder. It aids in digestive issues, and I've found that it really thickens things. I actually use it as an alternative to xanthan/guar gum when I make my DIY Halo Top.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hm. I tried that ice cream recipe and didn't get the volume of a mixing bowl. My fluff gets it but it seemed like you guys were claiming the ice cream one gets that high too. Admittedly, the texture is better than fluff. I must need to perfect it.

I added "Whip It" by Dr. Oetaker + a little bit of Xanthan Gum. I haven't seen anyone else using the Whip It, but I figured since the Quest only has a little casein I would need more of a thickener to help fluff it up.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »

I added "Whip It" by Dr. Oetaker + a little bit of Xanthan Gum. I haven't seen anyone else using the Whip It, but I figured since the Quest only has a little casein I would need more of a thickener to help fluff it up.

Yours is a fluff. My fluff gets that big too.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

A little trial and error, might need to blend it a little longer.. every blender might be a tad different? Also I get a little less volume if using casein powder, I only get about 4.5 cups when I do ON mint choc chip. Also I have to add a splash more almond milk with the casein powder to get it to blend properly. And ON whey flavors I get a good amount of volume too but I definitely get the most volume with the Quest brands. I noticed a sizeable difference between brands. Quest Salted Caramel always gets the most volume for me for some reason.

uhhhh caramel snickerdoodle? that sounds pretty damn amazing!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options

So sorry your having such a rough time :'(
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @GottaBurnEmAll -- if it's just the xantham gum that bothers you, leave it out. It seems to work just as well. As for raw vegetables, that's sad. Sorry. Don't like Cole slaw, but I don't think I could live without salad

Is this fluff or ice cream? I haven't bothered with fluff since I started making the protein ice cream since I like the ice cream much better. I never tried the fluff without the gum before.

I make the ice cream without the xantham all the time.

It's just the idea of chia fluff sounds intriguing.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    It was "ice cream". The blender doesn't work for me, so I use my food processor. It only holds a half batch -- so 1/2 scoop quest, XL cup ice crushed ice cubes and 1/3 (or so) almond milk. Today I'm doing salted caramel with some crushed pretzels on top and/or mint Chocolate chip. Can't get enough of this stuff.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Oh, awesome. I'm definitely going to try lemon/chia ice cream.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

What ingredients did you use for the caramel snickerdoodle flavor? That sounds gooood.

I almost bought Walden farms syrup for the first time the other day but I was afraid it would be gross and I would've wasted $4 so I put it back.

Last time I got a super low calorie syrup (chocolate, some off brand), it was so disgusting and chemical tasting. I threw it out. I think I'm traumatized from that now.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

What ingredients did you use for the caramel snickerdoodle flavor? That sounds gooood.

I almost bought Walden farms syrup for the first time the other day but I was afraid it would be gross and I would've wasted $4 so I put it back.

Last time I got a super low calorie syrup (chocolate, some off brand), it was so disgusting and chemical tasting. I threw it out. I think I'm traumatized from that now.

I can't handle super low calorie chocolate syrup, but the Hershey's Lite Syrup is pretty indistinguishable from regular Hershey's syrup for half the calories. It's what I use.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    I ordered a sampler of this brand of Snickerdoodle-- well, I actually ordered one of every flavor. It gets good reviews for making protein ice cream. It's a whey/casien combo.

https://pescience.com/select-protein

PS - the syrup (of any flavor) is for added sweetness, but not required to get it to fluff.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    so...the protein fluff...is it a whipped texture, or firmer like an ice cream? I don't like the texture of mousse, and whipped cream type items, but if the fluff is creamier I'd def give it a go...looks delicious!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    The protein ice cream is creamy.

Protein fluff is marshmallowy and you wouldn't like it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    Oh, the Cinnamon Crunch Protein Fluff (Quest):

Eat this immediately, I halved the portion (its huge) and froze 1/2 right after I made it to see how it freezes. I might half the recipe next time because it's a lot!

I added these amounts but here's mine in the order I add to the mixer (not a blender):

Total: (The entire bowl pictured) - 92 calories
    5 Ingredients:
    3 teaspoon (from the Spoonable 9.8 oz Jar)-Truvia
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 6Protein 0

12 FL OZ (355 mL) Diet Soda-A&w Root Beer
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 0Protein 0

0.50 package Whip It Stabilizer for Whipping Cream-Dr. Oetker
    calories 20 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 5Protein 0

17 gram Cinnamon Crunch-Quest Nutrition
    calories 57 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 11

0.25 tsp Xanthan Gum-Bob's Red Mill
    calories 15 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 4Protein 0

Blend all of that until the mixture starts to thicken, scrape down the sides of the mixer with a spatula as it is mixing.

Blend on high for 6-8 minutes. Stop and stir a little, and scrape down the sides of the mixer, and repeat. Mix for another 5 minutes. It will thicken very much!

Total:
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0 (This is for the ENTIRE bowl)
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 92
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 1 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 3 mg 1 %
    Sodium 336 mg 14 %
    Potassium 37 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 6 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 11 g 23 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 17 %
    Iron 1 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

While Mixing It thickened quickly
    e0rm71go6qwj.jpg

After I stopped Mixing..you can see its thick on the beaters
    5cssu348jlns.jpg

After being frozen for about 45mins-hour
    2q2yfbnr4jcm.jpg

I used the giant mixing bowl and then ate out of it :) Enjoy

That looks good, but does it have a lot of flavor? Every time I've made fluff it has hardly no flavor & I even add in sweetener.

I've made the protein ice cream twice so far & will definitely be making it again since I can't afford Halo Top all the time.

I added too much ice yesterday & it turned out kind of soupy, but it was still delicious.

Once I get through most of my Trutein I'll purchase sample packs of the Quest powders.