Dr Oz tolerance to carbs info

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hey. I like eating raw potatoes. Dip them in a little salt and yummy. Yes, I am weird. I also ate raw slices of onion too. On the other hand, raw turnips are really good. Like radishes without the bite.

This may be a stupid question, but aren't raw potatoes supposed to be poisonous? Perhaps it was just a rumor started by Big Cracker to keep us from testing carb intolerance with potato.

Only the peels and eyes, and if there is any green left over on the potato after peeling it. Do a good job of peeling and remove the eyes and they are perfectly safe.

Interesting, thanks! I still think I'll skip them, but good to know :smiley:
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Hey. I like eating raw potatoes. Dip them in a little salt and yummy. Yes, I am weird. I also ate raw slices of onion too. On the other hand, raw turnips are really good. Like radishes without the bite.

This may be a stupid question, but aren't raw potatoes supposed to be poisonous? Perhaps it was just a rumor started by Big Cracker to keep us from testing carb intolerance with potato.

I think there is a toxin that they contain...but you'd have to eat A LOT of raw potatoes before it would affect you. I think the toxin is more concentrated in a green or sprouting potato, which is why you're supposed to cut out the "eyes".
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member

I think there is a toxin that they contain...but you'd have to eat A LOT of raw potatoes before it would affect you. I think the toxin is more concentrated in a green or sprouting potato, which is why you're supposed to cut out the "eyes".

It's not just toxins, they're just not very digestible and can upset your innards.

Personally I prefer to eat potatoes within well established parameters. I love them, but they're from a difficult family and have some issues.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2017

I was going to say this too! Raw potatoes and raw turnips with salt...yummm!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017

I can't imagine raw potatoes, but like raw turnips okay (prefer kohlrabi or radish raw, and prefer turnips cooked), and I enjoy raw onion (especially red onion).

I want to try the hedgehog chips and I need to track down the haggis ones for next time I have to bring something to a party!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    This makes as much sense as designing a diet around whether or not cilantro tastes like soap to you. One of the easiest ways to scam people into believing this kind of woo is
    1. Pick out something that's physically evident and that naturally varies between people
    2. Create a whole mythology around how the differences impact how we lose weight.
    3. Make the diet deliberately so restrictive no one could possibly stay compliant for long.
    4. Then scare people into buying your products because it's the only way they can ever hope to be healthy.
    5. When they fail to lose weight pile a big load of guilt on because they obviously don't care enough for their health to follow a simple food plan.

I totally design my diet around whether or not cilantro tastes like soap. It 100% tastes like chemicals to me and ruins every food that it touches, so my diet is anything that doesn't include cilantro.

That's what you meant, right ;)?

Then claim that everyone, even those who like cilantro, should eat just like you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    fieh2jnf3cme.jpg

You forgot raspberry ketone ;)

And green coffee beans!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    This makes as much sense as designing a diet around whether or not cilantro tastes like soap to you. One of the easiest ways to scam people into believing this kind of woo is
    1. Pick out something that's physically evident and that naturally varies between people
    2. Create a whole mythology around how the differences impact how we lose weight.
    3. Make the diet deliberately so restrictive no one could possibly stay compliant for long.
    4. Then scare people into buying your products because it's the only way they can ever hope to be healthy.
    5. When they fail to lose weight pile a big load of guilt on because they obviously don't care enough for their health to follow a simple food plan.

I totally design my diet around whether or not cilantro tastes like soap. It 100% tastes like chemicals to me and ruins every food that it touches, so my diet is anything that doesn't include cilantro.

Then claim that everyone, even those who like cilantro, should eat just like you.

Dang, I did it wrong.

So, I have to start the campaign that avoiding cilantro is the ONE WEIRD TRICK to drop 10 pounds in a week?

Am I getting closer to how this works?

I'll take the rejected cilantro.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member

Dang, I did it wrong.

So, I have to start the campaign that avoiding cilantro is the ONE WEIRD TRICK to drop 10 pounds in a week?

I'll trade you for all those delicious sounding crackers.

#CilantroIsPoison
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Dang, I did it wrong.

I'll trade you for all those delicious sounding crackers.

#CilantroIsPoison

Take my crackers and I'll cut you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    I love cilantro. On other matters, searched amazon and apparently I can order:

Mackie's of Scotland Haggis & Black Pepper Potato Chips

Mackie's Ridge Cut Whisky & Haggis Potato Chips

Sadly, both are crazy expensive, too much so for a novelty picnic dish.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    I was ready to run the test again with crackers, wine, and adding the cheese this time.
    Then.....
    Uncle Joe's Mint Balls were mentioned! (Darn you @BruinsGal_91)
    A detour into childhood bliss.

Only 20 more days and I can start rummaging the sweety shops for some Uncle Joe's, go to Borough Market for some of the best Stilton ever, test taste any new UK flavoured crisps and crackers, and eat me some haggis.

Cheers, h.
  • GonzosaysMeow
    GonzosaysMeow Posts: 16 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I challenge anyone to eat 6 jatz crackers in 60 seconds. If you can achieve this, then you are carb tolerant. :wink:

Note: I have yet to meet someone who can do it .

What is a jatz cracker.

I like those little wine tasting crackers. Should get some.

Damn, I thought you guys had jatz over there. I wanted someone to do the challenge!

They're harder and thicker than Ritz, probably a tiny bit larger in diameter. We have had many a night when we brought out the jatz pack for this challenge as everyone we put it to scoffed and said it would be easy. Not one person has managed to do it :lol: Eating 6 small crackers in a minute sounds totally doable, but is harder than it seems.

Hmmm.. hard and thick jatz.