Dr Oz tolerance to carbs info

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

For those of you interested in doing the test, if you don't have an unsalted Saltine (yuck) you can do it with raw potato (double yuck and potentially toxic).

Re taste change, according to the article:

The goal of the DNA Restart Cracker Self-Test is to find out which of the three Carbohydrate Consumption Categories you fall into: Full, Moderate, or Restricted. You will get this information by the amount of time it takes for a change in taste to occur when you’re chewing either the saltine cracker or potato. The longer you're chewing, the more likely the taste will change. If you never detect a change in taste, that's normal (and significant!), too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I would eat the crap out of Worcestershire chips!!!!

Marks and spencer

Also Walkers (Lays). And yes, they're marvellous. One of the all time great crisp flavours.
    Yes, presumably it has something to do with breaking down starch into sugar. Which everyone can do, barring really strange and problematic health problems, and has nothing to do with "carb tolerance".

But honestly, I've lost interest in this absurd woo. What I'm more interested in is the existence of crackers in flavours like 'bacon' or 'chicken in a biscuit'.

This intrigues me because I understand the US crisp (chip) scene is fairly hidebound to basic seasonings (salt, vinegar, pepper, ranch) and eschews the more exotic crisp flavours that are normal in the UK (bacon, roast beef, worcestershire sauce, fish and chips).

And yet your crackers are apparently a festival of fake dinner tastes that rival Willy Wonka. What gives?

Just gonna leave this here....

t0trjopr1wvu.jpg

I used to love those. I didn't think you could still get them? For the uninitiated, the flavour is supposedly based on some strange old dish called "hedgehog", not our actual prickly friends.

My own exotic crisp recommendation is Golden Wonder Haggis flavour. Really good, convincing, spicy (and not a sheep lung in sight).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yXTBGYbuM

:| Haggis does not contain barley.

Honestly, everyone likes to have a go at haggis because it's made of offal cooked in a sheep's stomach. I don't like the idea of minced spare parts cooked in pigs' intestines, but I still eat sausages :p if you're going to eat meat, it doesn't pay to be squeamish.

I had haggis when I was in Scotland. Not my first choice of food, but not bad either.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I challenge anyone to eat 6 jatz crackers in 60 seconds. If you can achieve this, then you are carb tolerant. :wink:

Note: I have yet to meet someone who can do it .

What is a jatz cracker.

I like those little wine tasting crackers. Should get some.

Damn, I thought you guys had jatz over there. I wanted someone to do the challenge!

They're harder and thicker than Ritz, probably a tiny bit larger in diameter. We have had many a night when we brought out the jatz pack for this challenge as everyone we put it to scoffed and said it would be easy. Not one person has managed to do it :lol: Eating 6 small crackers in a minute sounds totally doable, but is harder than it seems.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    I'd like to watch the dead parrot sketch for some reason now.

@junodog1 Did you watch it when the cracker ceased to be?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I don't normally comment on threads like this but I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that it recommends doing this test with a piece of RAW PEELED POTATO if you can't eat gluten. :'(:'(:'(

I was just going to comment on this. Why don't we celiac sufferers get a rice cracker at least?

Apparently rice isn't a carb in his world?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

I don't normally comment on threads like this but I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that it recommends doing this test with a piece of RAW PEELED POTATO if you can't eat gluten. :'(:'(:'(

I was just going to comment on this. Why don't we celiac sufferers get a rice cracker at least?

Because this lot simply don't care. Not even to that minimal extent to make them think "oh, maybe 'eat raw potatoes' is bad advice".

Giving bad advice is how they made their fortune. Why would they stop it now for the sake of some poor soul that trusts them enough to sit crunching raw potatoes in the hope it will solve their problems?

People like this don't actually care about people. They're too busy counting their money to care. Their heads are entirely too far up their own bank accounts.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

This is SUCH BS! What did he win awards for? Creativity in duping people out of their hard-earned money?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Hey. I like eating raw potatoes. Dip them in a little salt and yummy. Yes, I am weird. I also ate raw slices of onion too. On the other hand, raw turnips are really good. Like radishes without the bite.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hey. I like eating raw potatoes. Dip them in a little salt and yummy. Yes, I am weird. I also ate raw slices of onion too. On the other hand, raw turnips are really good. Like radishes without the bite.

Well, radishes are basically tiny turnips (same family).
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

This may be a stupid question, but aren't raw potatoes supposed to be poisonous? Perhaps it was just a rumor started by Big Cracker to keep us from testing carb intolerance with potato.

Only the peels and eyes, and if there is any green left over on the potato after peeling it. Do a good job of peeling and remove the eyes and they are perfectly safe raw.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Well, radishes are basically tiny turnips (same family).

Yup.

I love turnips. When I am making a stew and I want to reduce the carbs a bit, I substitute turnips for potatoes. They also hold up better in the slow cooker.