• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    5'3", female, 148 = my BMR is 1460 and I maintain on 2500ish
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I guess you could test it by looking at BMI across the population? So if short people's BMIs tend to be higher (whether underweight, normal weight, overweight, obese, whatever), you could assume that they felt hungry on a proportionally higher calorie allowance than tall people.

So for example, if 5'3 people consistently ate an average of 1500 calories a day because that was what kept them satisfied, they would end up with a higher BMI than if 1500 calories also kept people who were 6'2 satisfied.

I think that makes sense but I am in no way a scientist!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    huh - that makes no sense - BMI is a simple height/mass ratio and has nothing to do with calories consumed, unless it is making them gain weight
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    huh - that makes no sense - BMI is a simple height/mass ratio and has nothing to do with calories consumed, unless it is making them gain weight

I'm probably not explaining my brain vomit very well... Everyone has a BMI, if you eat more calories, you will have a higher BMI. With the appropriate number of calories you should be able to maintain any BMI that doesn't kill you. However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

I think it's time for me to stop rambling :D
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I'm probably not explaining my brain vomit very well... Everyone has a BMI, if you eat more calories, you will have a higher BMI. With the appropriate number of calories you should be able to maintain any BMI that doesn't kill you. However, the number of calories that would work for you from a psychological/satiety point of view might differ (the hungriness aspect). So if, in general, shorter people are only satisfied with the same number of calories as taller people, they would tend to have a higher BMI overall, as they would maintain a similar weight to those on a higher number of calories.

I think you've conflated BMI with BMR.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're asking and have wondered that myself.

I have no idea how one would actually answer that question, though, with everyone being so different and so subjective.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think you are suggesting looking at whether short people are more likely to be overweight.

For me I feel like it would be easier if I had more calories (I have a decent number when really active and find that easier than when I have a small number because I'm sedentary, and in theory the added exercise should drive up how much I need). That is because it's just hard to eat only 1600 (for example) calories in a day, or less if I were sedentary and trying to lose. It requires that one be careful and do almost no mindless eating. When I have more calories it seems easier because there's just more wiggle room when something tempting is available.

But this is from the perspective of someone who never really found hunger the reason she overate, but simply the enjoyment of food or the bad habit of mindless eating. I also had to break myself of thinking that the right amount was the amount others were eating (even if they were larger). (Old dumb habit, I recall in college thinking I could go one to one on drinks with a male friend who was 6'5 when I was 5'3, 120.)

I don't feel like it's HARDER being short, though, and I am very conscious of how much I can control my TDEE.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

yeah - I think you are conflating BMI (body mass index) with BMR (basal metabolic rate) - and even then, if you look at longitudinal type studies - BMR isn't as variable as people seem to believe
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

yeah - I think you are conflating BMI (body mass index) with BMR (basal metabolic rate) - and even then, if you look at longitudinal type studies - BMR isn't as variable as people seem to believe

Pretty much. The biggest differences seen in "metabolism" are NEAT related. Iirc, we've seen many examples of differences upward of 2500 kcal/day, just from NEAT variances. BMR differences pale in comparison.
  • lizzy_yak
    lizzy_yak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think it's entirely possible that short people might be more likely to be overweight, but perhaps not for the reasons we've been talking about. Most women judge their size by clothing size, but if you're a short woman you could very easily be overweight at a UK size 10 (US size 6), although many people would be unaware of this fact just by the normalisation of larger sizes. Bring vanity sizing into the mix, and the effect would be even more marked.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The most common example given: you're full from dinner, but more than likely have a "second stomach" all ready to go for dessert.

This is so me.... Every single night!

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Woman, slightly under 5'2". I have to be under 1,000 to lose.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eating has become such a cultural and and social process as oppose to being strictly the means of acquiring energy and nutriment that I would agree; Short people get the short end of the stick on this one, and will be paying a HEAVIER price for a night out on the town.