Replies

• lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not relevant to the thread, but since you asked I'll respond:
    lorbor93 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what are your STATS?
    6'6", 205 lbs., 55 years old. Lost 65 pounds from my top weight of 270, which was two years ago this month.

Are you healthy?
    Very. Good vitals, no illnesses/diseases and I take no meds for anything.

What's your BF?
    Around 14-15%.

Do you have energy?
    Tons. I lift weights 3x/week and do cardio 3-4x/week, along with various other activities.

How's your skin?
    Tan, clean and awesome.

Your mental health?
    Perfect. Never had an issue my entire life despite spending over 30 years in a highly stressful career which results in PTSD for many in the field.

Should I wake up and eat what you eat and train with you tomorrow?
    It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you.

Lighten up--you'll increase your cortisol working yourself up to prove others wrong which WILL damper your weight loss efforts.
    Thanks for your concern, but I've been at my goal weight for several months and really not worried about anything damping my weight loss efforts.

Good for you! Definitely don't want to train/eat like you because I am also at my goal weight and am very healthy in all areas of my life as well. My point I was trying to make earlier, do what works for YOU and maybe try not to make your chief aim in life to correct everyone.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Why is everyone so negative here? Most of us are not registered dietitians and all of the information we choose to believe is done through personal research. I never claimed to know everything, I posted on my experience and what I know works for me. If whatever you're doing works for you, then keep doing it! Don't change it. But if someone asks for advice, all I can do is speak through my experience. What you believe is your prerogative but the way to influence others is not to put them down.

While I do disagree with many of you, you also don't see me on here slamming each one of you for research papers to back up your claims.

You all got your information from one source or another and repetition is powerful. The point of my first post was to let others know there are other options to explore, not that I am right.

Hope that clears some things up, I never meant to ruffle any feathers here.

Here's the thing (from my point of view): advice from the point of view of your experience is very different than categorical claims of fact (like the ones you have made above).

"Here's how a keto diet helped me . . . " versus "No, you can't lose weight if you're eating too many carbohydrates . . . " . . . do you see the difference between those two?

I, for example, have experience losing weight as a vegan eating a diet that is higher in carbohydrates. If someone is interested, I'm always happy to share my experiences. But I would never translate my success into thinking that everyone has to lose weight as a vegan eating higher carbohydrate or that it's somehow superior to other eating patterns that result in weight loss.

All I recommended was lowering carbs and increasing fats and proteins. I did not once say you can ONLY lose weight restricting carbohydrates. I apologize if it came off that way but it wasn't my intention. better be careful to post my experience here because if the belief isn't popular and widely accepted, it's bound to get backlash.

You didn't get backlash over an unpopular belief. You got backlash specifically over the claim of "glycogen overflow, insulin spike, fat storage". It is just not accurate in any way and has no scientific basis. People do that kind of thing here all the time and those less well read, might buy into it.

Post your personal experience all you want. If you are going to make claims about physiology, or other scientific claims, they will be challenged if not accurate. That is reasonable and it doesn't make anyone negative. It makes them accurate and interested in truth. Take it as a healthy, if uncomfortable, learning experience.

Not accurate and any way? And no scientific basis?

Just thought I'd bring us back to where we started and see how you feel about it now

Fine! Thanks for asking!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline starchy carbs (sweet potato, winter squash, potatoes, brown rice, whole grains, and beans) what I assume you mean by what you said are different then refined carbs (white bread, white rice, and the"value added products") which is what I said. Without going off the refined products there is no way to know if you are having a problem that you just thought was "normal"

I don't even understand this. I eat all carbs. All of them. Of every colour and supposed levels of refined. I have absolutely no issues. I don't know what issues you think I might be ignorant of. I happen to not eat a lot of so called "white refined carbs" because I prefer others but when I do eat them my body reacts no differently to any other starchy carbs.