how much carbs is too much carbs? - dietary help

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lorbor93 wrote: »
    goodtroyes, I am sorry for the debate that my comment caused. my intention was not to start an argument and i should have delivered my message through personal experience. next time i claim information, i'll be sure to have research for you and others to fall back on.

lowering my carb intake significantly really did work for ME, but other people have had success with higher carbs. Research and figure out what works best for you. Good luck on your journey :)

Great post! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin. Insulin governs many things, one of them is that it triggers your cells to store glucose, including fat cells, "fat storage". "Insulin spike"
    Also incorrect. Protein is just as insulogenic as carbohydrates.

http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

I may have been wrong about the alcohol, but I clearly stated that the universe of discourse was the three molecules glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Since protein is not on that list, your "correction" was baseless.

Protein became relevant when you stated that glucose was the only thing that triggers an insulin response, which is incorrect. As clearly shown by multiple peer-reviewed studies in the research review I linked to, protein triggers an insulin response equal to that of carbohydrate. Your "correction" of my correction is baseless.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Protein became relevant when you stated that glucose was the only thing that triggers an insulin response, which is clearly incorrect.

NO. That is not what I wrote. This is what I wrote:

Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.

The glucose in your blood is used for immediate energy and it is stored in your muscle as glycogen. So, if your glycogen stores are full any glucose in your blood not used immediately as energy is in excess. I think that's what this person meant by "glycogen overflow".

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin
  • lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ya'll need to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. If you want someone to think the way you do, you gotta provide them with a scapegoat and not just tell them they are flat out wrong.

Basic psychology :D
  • mmapags
    Options
    Protein became relevant when you stated that glucose was the only thing that triggers an insulin response, which is clearly incorrect.

Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.

The glucose in your blood is used for immediate energy and it is stored in your muscle as glycogen. So, if your glycogen stores are full any glucose in your blood not used immediately as energy is in excess. I think that's what this person meant by "glycogen overflow".

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin

Yes, your 2nd bolded part is not accurate. Protein also triggers an insulin response. That is what anvil is saying.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Yes, your 2nd bolded part is not accurate. Protein also triggers an insulin response. That is what anvil is saying.

Except that protein isn't one of the three molecules.

Are you all just trolling me? This can't be for real.

You're talking in circles. If you're narrowly defining your three molecules and then citing that one of them causes glucose overload leading to insulin spikes and fat storage, it's only right that someone else can point out another molecule that you didn't mention another molecule that also causes insulin spikes.

You're leaving out important information.

No one is trolling you, you're just not painting a complete picture.

I'm not actually trying to paint a picture, though.

I'm not defending this person's claim. I've already said I don't think the claim is accurate.

Let me remind you what my point is here. I'm explaining why calling the things he said, "not accurate in any way" isn't reasonable and is negative.
  • lorbor93
    Options

Three salient points:

1) Alcohol is not used for fuel, so that's a moot (and incorrect) point.

2) Substrate utilization isn't that simple. Low-intensity activities are primarily fueled by fat, higher intensity activities are fueled primarily by glycogen. The ratio of each varies and it's incorrect to say that the body uses glucose/glycogen for energy before anything else. While at rest, the body is using primarily fat for fuel. Ketones are primarily used for fuel only in the absence of carbohydrates/glycogen.

3) Yes, glucose does trigger an insulin response. But it is not the only molecule that triggers an insulin response. As I have repeated several times now, protein triggers an insulin response equal to carbohydrate. Deliberately leaving protein out of the discussion is cherry-picking to make an irrelevant point. It makes as much sense as saying "between chickens, apples and elephants, chickens are the only thing in the world that has wings."

do you have research that proves that protein has the same insulin response as carbohydrates? i thought they were only converted if there wasn't adequate glycogen (which is why you don't overdo protein on keto, because it will kick you out of ketosis).

I'm just curious where that comes from? I'd love to read about it from a scholarly source
  • lorbor93
    Options
    lorbor93 wrote: »

Three salient points:

1) Alcohol is not used for fuel, so that's a moot (and incorrect) point.

2) Substrate utilization isn't that simple. Low-intensity activities are primarily fueled by fat, higher intensity activities are fueled primarily by glycogen. The ratio of each varies and it's incorrect to say that the body uses glucose/glycogen for energy before anything else. While at rest, the body is using primarily fat for fuel. Ketones are primarily used for fuel only in the absence of carbohydrates/glycogen.

3) Yes, glucose does trigger an insulin response. But it is not the only molecule that triggers an insulin response. As I have repeated several times now, protein triggers an insulin response equal to carbohydrate. Deliberately leaving protein out of the discussion is cherry-picking to make an irrelevant point. It makes as much sense as saying "between chickens, apples and elephants, chickens are the only thing in the world that has wings."

do you have research that proves that protein has the same insulin response as carbohydrates? i thought they were only converted if there wasn't adequate glycogen (which is why you don't overdo protein on keto, because it will kick you out of ketosis).

I'm just curious where that comes from? I'd love to read about it from a scholarly source

I posted the link to a pretty exhaustive research review above. Here it is again: http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Links to the research are embedded in the text.

thanks i'll read it
  • mmapags
    Options

You're talking in circles. If you're narrowly defining your three molecules and then citing that one of them causes glucose overload leading to insulin spikes and fat storage, it's only right that someone else can point out another molecule that you didn't mention another molecule that also causes insulin spikes.

I'm not defending this person's claim. I've already said I don't think the claim is accurate.

Let me remind you what my point is here. I'm explaining why calling the things he said, "not accurate in any way" isn't reasonable and is negative.

It's not accurate in any way.

The person is eating in a calorie deficit.

Net fat storage in a calorie deficit doesn't happen.

The teachings of low carb gurus about "fat storing mode" triggered by insulin response are alarmist nonsense. Fat storage/usage is a normal part of the energy cycle we all go through daily and the net result of it depends entirely on energy balance, not substrate balance like they'd like you to think.

All of this! ^ Leaving aside for a moment, the whole "glycogen overflow" term, which is not even really a thing. Lets assume for a moment that a persons glycogen stores were full, unlikely as that might be. Then excess Blood Glucose will convert to fat. It will only remain as stored fat in an energy surplus. That doesn't apply to the OP or anyone else in calorie deficit as there is no net fat gain in a deficit.

If you are trying to make a point about energy molecules, I'm not grasping it, try as I might. Glycogen is energy. ATP is energy. (both derived from glucose) Glucose is energy (and can be derived from carbs or from protein via neoglucogenesis). Fat is energy. What am I missing?
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

My only point is that this person was being treated unkindly. If you think that's irrelevant, don't respond to me because I don't have another point.

Otherwise, I'm saying that there are actual physiological truths behind what this person is saying and it's not nice to treat them like they are just spouting complete nonsense. This is a human being.

As I've repeated, I don't think this person was accurate. I just think it's unreasonable to say they are not accurate in any way.
  • mmapags
    Options

It's not accurate in any way.

The person is eating in a calorie deficit.

Net fat storage in a calorie deficit doesn't happen.

The teachings of low carb gurus about "fat storing mode" triggered by insulin response are alarmist nonsense. Fat storage/usage is a normal part of the energy cycle we all go through daily and the net result of it depends entirely on energy balance, not substrate balance like they'd like you to think.

Unless you think carbs don't trigger insulin or that insulin doesn't trigger fat storage, it's accurate in some ways.

OK, here is the crux of it. It's already been stated earlier. We are storing and using fat all day, every day. The only this that matters at the end of the day in terms of fat storage is energy balance. Macro mix can affect performance, satiety and hunger and adequate nutrients. But it is irrelevant to fat storage in an energy/ calorie deficit. So, what triggers insulin or doesn't is a moot point.