August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    haha! Did you try bouncing on the lug wrench to loosen it? That's how we girls do it (well, I don't.. I have run flats and an 800 number- but I have!).

Actually, yes! Probably looked stupid doing it, but was out of ideas at that point :lol:

Bouncing is all very well except when you have the crappy wrench that came with the car and it bends.....

I bought an extendable wrench for this very purpose. But I've still had to beg for help to loosen the nuts (it helps being female). I've also had to call for rescue in the rain as I couldn't undo them. I blame the garage who service the vehicle for doing them up too tight.

Yeah, I have AAA, but I was less than a mile from the tire store so I figured it would be faster/easier to change the tire and drive to the store then to call AAA and wait for help to arrive. Shows what I know! LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/3 - 6 miles
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 8 miles
    8/6 - 3 miles
    8/7 - 0 miles - rest day
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - 5.6 miles happy birthday run - see what I did there 5.6 miles
    8/11 - rest day
    8/12 - 4 miles

45 of 80 miles

exercise.png

@cburke8909 nice pictures, looks beautiful. How was your son’s first run?
    @pastorvincent I always ask the tire place to put the lugs on by hand so that I can get them off if I get a flat tire. I also have a “real” lug wrench in my truck not just the one that’s with the car. Sorry for the ordeal.
    @runningmischka during the week I don’t eat before I run because I’m out there like 5:30 ish. On the weekends I will usually have a piece of toast or something 30 mins before I run, it’s mostly a time issue for me.
    @wolfger welcome you’ll love us here and we will inspire you to keep running 
    @pinkamenaD8 enjoy Acapulco
    @jessicamcb what a beautiful picture

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run
    8/10 = 5 miles run/walk
    8/11= kettlebell strength training
    8/12 = 5.5 miles

Running rest day yesterday. My hip is still a little sore but feels 99% better than Wednesday. I went out for 5.5 easy miles this morning and my hip seems to be holding up. I think I am okay to run long tomorrow. I might cut it at 10 miles just to be on the safe side.

I needed that rest day yesterday, however, my diet always suffers on non-running days. I went 700 calories over yesterday - LOL. I am so used to eating all my running calories, when I try to eat within my calorie limit on rest days - I starve (or say *kitten* it and eat WAY over). This is why I can't get those stupid last 10 pounds off. Well, that and chocolate. :)

Question: My yoga teacher and a lady in my running group keep telling me I need to use a foam roller. I have a small one but it feels like torture when I try and use it. Does it really help that much? Is it supposed to hurt? Or, am I doing it wrong?

(August miles) 64/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon

• Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Question: My yoga teacher and a lady in my running group keep telling me I need to use a foam roller. I have a small one but it feels like torture when I try and use it. Does it really help that much? Is it supposed to hurt? Or, am I doing it wrong?

I love my foam roller. I pull my head forward, extending my neck, and roll up and down, delighting in the little cracks that relieve the tension in my spine. On other spots, I roll, and if I find a tight spot, I hold on it, like acupressure. Something like it is how I began to deal with my stiff back.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I was AFK for few days, and so here I am- reading over 200 absolutely wonderful posts, clicking "Like" and "Awesome" left and right. This group of people never fails to amaze me :smile:

My report card
    Goal: 120
    Currently: 49
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 0, strength training
    8/3 - 8 miles
    8/4 - 0, rest day
    8/5 - 7 miles
    8/6 - 6 miles
    8/7 - 6 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles
    8/9 - strength training, Body Pump
    8/10 - 0 miles, rest day (although busy day at work)
    8/11 - 9 miles. My first 9-miler in a long run, it felt terrific. I could have kept going longer, but my empty stomach reminded me of its existence around mile 7.

For those of you who run in the morning: do you have a snack before you go out there? I know it's probably a matter of preference, but I am interested in what other runners do to keep their bellies from throwing a *kitten*-fest at ya mid run.

@Runningmischka I usually eat a banana before my long Sunday run. It is the only thing I can tolerate early in the morning before running. My tummy can't handle all the running sugar/energy things they sell. I also usually add some diluted sports drink to my water bottle during my long runs in the summer heat.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless It may help if there is a way you can ease up on the pressure. I know rolling my IT bands for the first time was alarmingly painful. I do enjoy rolling my back.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    August goals are 90 miles and figuring out what all the info from my new watch means about my training.

Aug 3 - 10 miles
    Aug 4 - 6.2 miles
    Aug 5- 7.5 miles
    Aug 6- too rainy/ wimpy
    Aug 7- 7 miles
    Aug 10- 7.3 miles
    Aug 12 - 12.2 miles

Beautiful, sunny morning run by the river. Tried to stay at the same effort I would put in when I was running my long training runs for my spring marathon - well at least the effort for the first half of those runs - I always felt it at the end. My watch is still telling me that I am mostly in zone 4-5 - and other than finishing the hill that leads to my house at the end of my run (10% grade that lasts for just under a quarter of a mile in the last third of a mile of any run I do) I really am feeling very comfortable and almost lazy on these runs. Well, I always feel the longer, steeper hills no matter how much I decrease my pace. Anyway - still thinking the zones are wrong, but I am going to just keep doing what I have been doing - going by feel and collecting data until I have a sample size that means something. I need to work in a faster pace run at some time - but I just really don't like them much, lol.

Total 53.2/100 goal
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom He loved it. I tried to send a picture but it didn't work, I'll try from my laptop latter.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for your son @JimCrackinDandy! And you too, that's awesome to come in 4th. You guys had a great day!

I find foam rolling a little painful @amymoreorless, although the more I do it (when I do, which isn't often) the better it feels. I would rather have a massage though, I'm not very dedicated in doing the torture to myself but gladly accept the torture from a good deep tissue massage.

As for eating before running, I always eat before morning runs. I have skyr (yogurt), granola and a banana almost every time. I've started bringing something with me for the long runs, like a gel or sports beans though I'm not sure it does much for me. Today's gel was peanut butter flavored and I didn't really like it as much as I hoped. Need to find some better flavors.
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    6 Aug 3.15 km (1.95m)
    8 Aug PT session leg day
    9 Aug 3.71 km (2.30m)
    10 Aug PT session mix circuit
    11 Aug rest day
    12 Aug 3.69km (2.29)
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s

We made it to the beach house even though traffic was horrendous. Rest day tomorrow... I'm going to look up some running routes! Sadly I think it's pretty much just a north or south route along the ocean.

Hmm...North or south route ALONG THE OCEAN does not sound to bad to me. Enjoy