August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 nah, the beauty of Google Docs and Google Sheets is that they can be shared files that multiple people can edit. I've used them before with other online groups I've been a part of, it's very handy. The settings on the file are now open, so that anyone who has a link to it can edit it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit?usp=sharing
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent I agree through with @mobycarp you need to be more aggressive about where you start. Skip just walks up through the crowd going excuse me excuse me until she sees a face she knows she’ll finish with. A lot of races we do she just walks right to the front line and lines up. I “sparkle” enough when I run with a skirt  I’ve seen sparkle shorts too. I’ve never worn one but I hear they are very comfy.

Yeah well you can get away with things us old guys get called rude for :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 nah, the beauty of Google Docs and Google Sheets is that they can be shared files that multiple people can edit. I've used them before with other online groups I've been a part of, it's very handy. The settings on the file are now open, so that anyone who has a link to it can edit it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkoCt23jGMmLaiaj03G5NOo0BbJEaGLwPNDeROJTNVs/edit?usp=sharing

Awesomeness!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 Ahh, that's not at all what I saw before. Thanks
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Today's a rest day. Good thing because it was raining cats and dogs this morning! :-)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent I agree through with @mobycarp you need to be more aggressive about where you start. Skip just walks up through the crowd going excuse me excuse me until she sees a face she knows she’ll finish with. A lot of races we do she just walks right to the front line and lines up. I “sparkle” enough when I run with a skirt  I’ve seen sparkle shorts too. I’ve never worn one but I hear they are very comfy.

You just need to say the magic word, "excuse me" ha ha I know what you mean though most don't even pay attention to 5'1" 95 lbs of her wanting to start in the front. We ran a 5K this year where the race director called her by name to ask where she was. ha ha
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I've had a cute red-haired girl offer to let me line up in front of her. I declined, because I recognized her as someone who is undeniably faster than I am. But then, I recognize a lot of faces in the first three rows of runners at the start line of local races. No doubt many of them recognize me, too. I typically line up in the 2nd or 3rd row, behind people that I know to be faster than I am. Younger, too; but faster is the important part.

Farther back, I expect there are sections where the people lining up together don't know who is faster than whom.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Farther back, I expect there are sections where the people lining up together don't know who is faster than whom.

That would be me :smiley:

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent and @MobyCarp then there is the problem of those who start fast and fade. They run like they're doing a 1/2 mile race when the race is 10k? In a 5k it's not too bad but I still want to race easier the first mile and go for it miles 2 and 3.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    In regards to pockets in running pants:

Ok, yes yes, I know, it's Forever 21, lol. But I happened to be walking past the store in the mall maybe a month or two ago and saw a bunch of super fun, funky workout pants hanging on the wall. Ended up getting a few different styles but these have super awesome pockets! I think ALL running pants/shorts/skirts should be required by LAW to have big pockets! Lol. I can fit my big, Google Pixel XL smartphone in these pockets, along with fuel, keys, etc. Actually, they also have a small, hidden waist pocket where I usually tuck the key fob for my car. And seriously, you can't really beat the price, and they seem to be pretty decent quality.

forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?br=F21&category=Activewear&productid=2000084156
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s
    8/2 6miles 60m:39s
    8/3 5miles 46m:32s
    8/4 rest
    8/5 12miles 1hr:57m:36s
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6miles 57m:25s

A muggy 6 miles this morning. Also felt hungry when I started. This is day 5 of successfully cutting back calories. I'm trying to lose a few pounds - I think losing a few pounds will make me a bit faster. Or at least a bit more efficient.

Once I got going the hunger dissipated and I felt pretty good.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    This rest day was killing me, until I remember that I have a possible EXTRA 1-2 rest days this (M-S)week.... Friday might be a rest day, and Sunday WILL be a rest day.... probably.... Saturday's run will be the deciding factor. I still haven't decided on Rest for Friday, but Saturday, and How I feel after will decide Sunday... Sat is gonna be Awesome!
  • carrie_eliza
    carrie_eliza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Missed my first workout of this training series - was supposed to do a 'long' run of 5 miles on Sunday, but due to a combination of heat exhaustion and TOM, I spent the day on the couch instead. I don't regret skipping the run, but now the question is, do I try and make it up, or do I just continue with my training plan? Next long run is 6 miles next Sunday, and my first 10k is 8/27.

Total: 12/80 miles

PS it is gratifying to see other women on this thread who have trouble getting their runs done on those days...makes me feel like a bit less of a wimp!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @carrie_eliza don't worry about it. Just continue with your schedule. Missing days happens, as long as you are consistent with like 80-90% of your plan, you'll be fine, and Welcome!
  • carrie_eliza
    carrie_eliza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @carrie_eliza don't worry about it. Just continue with your schedule. Missing days happens, as long as you are consistent with like 80-90% of your plan, you'll be fine, and Welcome!

Thanks! Consistency in training is what I always struggle with though, so the self-sabotage part of my brain is already expecting me to bail on the rest of the plan :neutral: I'll make my 6-miler next week, no matter what...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 and @Elise4270 - I don't know about anyone else but when I go to the document it still shows it as view only...
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 and @Elise4270 - I don't know about anyone else but when I go to the document it still shows it as view only...

That's weird, it looks like the setting got changed back. I switched it back over to 'Anyone with the link can edit', see if it works now.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @shrcpr It's my whole mission in life to find decent running bottoms in stock with phone and key pockets!

My wife uses a Roo pouch that we bought at the 1/2 marathon expo. It seems to work really well for her: http://theroosport.com/

I got one too! It works pretty well. I like how I can easily slip my phone in and out. My phone is too big to get in horizontal, but I put it in vertical without any problems. It sticks out and looks like I'm wearing a fanny pack.

For my long runs I use my Nathan belt that holds my phone snug against my lower abs - it's more comfortable and doesn't chafe because the belt is worn over my shorts. The roo pouch will chafe my upper thighs on long runs!