August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well folks, I am sick today with the stomach flu. BLAH.

Stayed home from work, although I did do some work from home. I think my low fever has broken and I haven't been to the bathroom in a while so I'm hoping this is just a 24 hour thing, unlike my boyfriend who had it for almost three days.

Not sure when I'll be back to running. I haven't eaten at all today, though I am making some rice now to try later. Not sure when I'll have my strength back. Sigh.

And to top it off, my new shoes arrived yesterday and I can't use them yet *cry*.

Hope everyone else is doing better than I am.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @NikolaosKey - I have two mental images I use although it has been so many years since I smoked that I honestly never get a craving any more... 1st think about that picture of a nonsmoker's lung next to a smoker's lung and how you will be able to run, workout, live a long life with that smoker's lung. If you haven't seen that particular image I will see if I can dig it up for you. The other is probably unique to me but when my MIL had a stroke we had to clean the house where she had smoked all of her adult life. Even though it had been painted fairly recent to that time the walls were already covered in this gross sticky substance that I found out from the painters was nicotine residue.... yuck, I can't imagine having that go into my lungs/body, ever again.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 haha feel free to say that, I will keep that in mind

Tnx all of the support!

There are few things better than the way a man smells :wink: well, maybe pie with said nice smelling man.

My husband quit 5-6 years ago. It was so hard on him. He's a recovering addict anyway. Giving up the nicotine took online meetings, chantix, Wellbutrin, prayer, and a spot on his lung. I bet if he could, he'd pick it up in a heart beat.

Best wishes my friend!
  • DanielleM7810
    DanielleM7810 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    so how many of you change out shoes for your runs? When did you start that? Early on? or when you were running many more miles? [/quote]

@seanevan10 I have several pairs in rotation. My fav brand is Altra with Asics and Brooks in a tie for second. Mine all serve a purpose based on how far I am running, what terrain I am running on and if I am doing speed training or a recovery run. My husband laughs at all my shoes lined up under the edge of my bed like little soldiers. But they are like family to me! Lolololol!

• Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @shanaber When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade there was a display of a smoker's lung and a non smoker's lung. 40 years ago and I still remember it. Then in college we were shown a pigs lung. I was supprised that they are not sacks and more similar to sponges. Can you imagine getting cigarette tar out of a sponge?

And there is good bacteria in your lungs working to keep you healthy. I never wanted to kill the little buggers. Haha! I did smoke in HS to hang out with this boy, Brad... Brad didn't like me back. But did put me in the trash can once a year... *Swoon* lol!

ETA corrected horrible errors. (Alex called- he likes a girl- ive had this mother's feeling that it's time for something quasi serious. Dang if I can't remember her name! Ashton? Aspen? )
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options
    1---5.49mi/ 8.85km
    3---4.23 / 6.8
    5---4.55 / 7.3
    6---9.14 l 14.7
    8---2.85/4.6
    10---2.87+ 1.98 (that's all the math I wanna do right now... :smiley:

Total 31.11/50.2
    Goal 89 miles/144 km

Upcoming races:

Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's 1 mile 10:04  5k 34.27 10k 1:12.49

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    August goal is 125 (Probably out of reach since I got no miles in the first week)

Aug 1.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 2.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 3.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 4.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 5.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 6.....10 miles..MTD 10 miles
    Aug 7.....no run.....MTD 10 miles
    Aug 8.....3.1 miles..MTD 13.1 miles. 1st run of 1/2 marathon training program.
    Aug 9.....3.2 miles..MTD 16.3 miles 2nd run of 1/2 marathon training program
    Aug 10...4 miles.....MTD 20.3 miles 3rd run of 1/2 training program

Run today was very slow and easy.

@RespectTheKitty Sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon. I hate being sick in the summer.

@NikolaosKey I feel for you trying to kick the habit. I started in the Army and smoked for 13 years from age 17 to 30, I finally stopped the day our first child was born. I used the motivation of not wanting him see his father smoke and also wanting to be there to see him grow up. One of the hardest things I have done. Good luck.

@skippygirlsmom Happy Birthday.

Upcoming races:
    Kellie's Krew 10K, Aug 26, Dunn NC
    FCYC Glow Run 5K, Sep 16, Fayetteville NC
    Turkey Trot 1/2 Marathon, Nov. Pinehurst NC

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @NikolaosKey my husband smoked for eleven years and struggled hard to quit so many times. A few months before our middle daughter was born he woke up one day and just stopped- he'll be quit 4 years in September. You can do it!

Had physio tonight, ran afterward (significantly less than I had planned because she yelled at me lol). I'll be gone all weekend to the lake for our youngest daughters' 2nd birthday so I'll have to run early tomorrow. If I don't manage to pop my mileage in for Friday tomorrow I wish everybody a fabulous long run and racing weekend :)

August 1- 13.4
    August 2- 17.3
    August 3- 16.5
    August 4- 17.3
    August 5- 40
    August 6- 20
    August 7- Off
    August 8- 24.5
    August 9- 34.6
    August 10- 15.3

198.9/420km
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sorry I'm late to the party (pun intended) but happy birthday! :)

@MobyCarp Fantastic race, congrats!

@NikolaosKey Good luck on giving up again; it's tough but you can definitely do it.

No run yet from me today...about to gear up and head on out the door though for a few miles. It'll be a super slow one, but it's still warm out and I've had caffeine, so HR will be more than a tad difficult to keep down.
  • Andy504
    Andy504 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I have a question, I started running about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it! But today I got intense pain around the front of my legs and my shins. I could only run half a mile because it was hurting more and more the longer I went. I'm home now and I can still feel it. Any advice to stop the discomfort?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    9.8 this am, making it 5 days in a rowthis week with 8.5 or more miles. My longru s tomorrow 18 miles and a much earned rest day on Sunday. On the sneaker issue, I don't often buy the best ones.(I'll spend $35-$55 on a pair of good sneakers) but I always have 2 in rotation alternating days and only using them for runs and workouts. I try to keep two spare pairs ready to go and I do not hesitate to go to the new pairs if issues arise. @MobyCarp talked about some special inserts that seemed expensive but well worth the cost.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Andy504 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I have a question, I started running about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it! But today I got intense pain around the front of my legs and my shins. I could only run half a mile because it was hurting more and more the longer I went. I'm home now and I can still feel it. Any advice to stop the discomfort?

Not sure, but are you running only on hard surfaces like sidewalks and roads? Might be a bit much for you yet. You probably need to rest and try mixing up the surfaces that you run on after you rest to let your shins recover.

Again, not really sure... wait for smarter people to reply, but I would definitely give your shins time to heal before pushing again.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @andy504 I'd tend to agree with @PastorVincent. Consider off days, crosstraining with nonweight bearing exercises and possibly running less and slower for now. Sounds like a common case of doing too much, too quickly.