Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - It seems to have worked now
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - congrats on the new distance PR. Now that you are comfortable running 5k and moving on, I found the next steps to be easier- at least until I moved to marathon training distances

@Orphia and the others who mentioned looking for running bottoms with adequate pockets- I am a big fan of the Be Free line at Athleta. The doby be free knickers are super thin and work well in the heat ( and elicit Harry Potter jokes about the name from tweenage kids). The shorts are nice but the skirt pockets are too loose to keep your phone safe.

And honestly how many outdoor runners don't need a secure, easy to access pocket for their phone? I can't figure out why these side pockets aren't standard on most running tights. I don't want to dislocate my shoulder while running to get it out of my zipped back of my waist pocket.

@Orphia - also noticed that marathon is approaching. Good luck
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @MobyCarp then there is the problem of those who start fast and fade. They run like they're doing a 1/2 mile race when the race is 10k? In a 5k it's not too bad but I still want to race easier the first mile and go for it miles 2 and 3.

From the perspective of a second-tier finisher (behind all the fast young guys), this is not a problem. If they start faster than I do, they're not in my way. By the time they fade, I have room to pass them.

Or, from a race management perspective, the challenge is to know myself and not try to run with the speed demons. In some races, I see pre-pubescent kids going out faster than I do, even when I'm deliberately running the first mile faster than I can hold for the entire race. Most of the time, I will pass them somewhere between a quarter mile and a kilometer into the race. Once in a while, it turns out to be a kid with real speed. In any case, I need to *let them go* early and just run my race.

With more experience, and as I get better at race management, I'm beginning to see this phenomenon later in the race. I saw a clump fade and fall behind me about 1 mile into my last 5K, and I saw a clump fade about 3 miles into a 4 mile race. I suppose that last clump was people who had optimized for a 5K and didn't figure out how to adjust for the 4 mile distance.
  • wishiwasarunner
    Options
    August goals are 90 miles and figuring out what all the info from my new watch means about my training.

Aug 3 - 10 miles
    Aug 4 - 6.2 miles
    Aug 5- 7.5 miles
    Aug 6- too rainy/ wimpy
    Aug 7- 7 miles

Total 30.7/100 goal

Woohoo. Today is my 24th wedding anniversary. Took the day off (otherwise I would never make it home in time for family dinner) and so I got in a bonus run. The extra time off lately has driven my miles up. I suspect I will have withdrawal symptoms before I get another one in.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - It's not chip timing that's the issue, it's gun time versus net time. I have run very few races that were not chip timed, but I have run a lot of races that had no timing mat at the start line. Those races only produce gun time, even though it is chip measured. Other races will have a timing mat at the start line and produce both gun time and net time. For where I line up, there is typically a 2 to 3 second difference for a big race, scaling down to no difference for a smaller race where I can line up right on the line.

When the race produces both net time (frequently labeled "chip time" on the race results) and gun time, gun time is usually used for the awards. Sometimes the race results have a disclaimer that "chip time" (really net time) is provided for information purposes only and official results are gun time. When the race only produces gun time, that's all there is to use.

In contrast to shorter races, marathons will typically have a timing mat at the start, and frequently will have multiple timing mats at 5K distances through the race to provide splits. Every marathon wants to provide net time, because net time is what counts for a BQ. If you're trying to market a marathon you run, you have to have net time. At Boston, the only official time is net time. At Buffalo 2015, results were sorted by gun time but net time was prominently displayed on the results.

When I track my sister running the Lincoln Half Marathon, there is an extended period after the gun where her results say "waiting to start." What's going on is, she is lined up far back of the leaders and takes 15 or 20 minutes to get to the starting mat. In the Lincoln Marathon/Half Marathon, there is no gun time, only net time.
  • wishiwasarunner
    Options

Yeah well you can get away with things us old guys get called rude for :lol:

You mean that as a pastor you might get some strange looks if you were elbowing your way to the front? If you live in a large enough city the recognition factor might not be an issue though. I live in a relatively small city where there aren't enough races for most people to understand the etiquette of starting placement. And I also shouldn't be pushing past people who may think it is more like cutting in line than sorting. I probably start back a little further than I should, but I try to stay on an edge where it is easier to pass those who don't understand
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp

IME many races use CHIP TIME for Age Group, but GUN TIME for overall. The race I mentioned above though did not have a starting mat at all, only registered your finish time. So there was confusion at the start when to start running and many in front of me did not start running and I was doing the boogie woogie trying to break free of the pack and all that. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Where do you fine the permissions on Google sheets? I'm glad we have a you!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 Where do you fine the permissions on Google sheets? I'm glad we have a you!

when you share a google sheet or doc with someone, there's a little pencil next to where you type in the Email address. click on that, and the different premissions are there
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I had to go back and look at my HMs and see how they handled the times. All seemed to have both Gun and Chip times but the SF Marathon and HMs were scored for just the overall top 3 places by Gun time which matched incidentally the Chip times exactly for the both the women and the men. They all had 5k, 10k in addition to the start and finish. Even the tiny Tiki 5 and 10K race had mats at the start and finish as did the Run Seattle races I ran in... I guess it just depends on who is putting them on and how much they charge and can recoup to pay for the timing system.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

So I'm on my phone now, so I can't take a screenshot because it looks different on the phone, but somewhere on the top toolbar, to the right hand side is a button that says 'Share'. When you click on that there's a drop down menu with all the different options
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Wk 8.7.17 - 8.13.17

M - 10 m. + (11 miles on Bike)
    T -
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S - (Half Marathon Scheduled)
    S -

Total - 10 miles. Goal is 50 miles this week.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles
    8/2: 3.1 miles
    8/3: 2.2 miles
    8/5: kr30dc day 1
    8/6: 5.4 miles; kr30dc day 2
    8/7: 3.1 miles; kr30dc day 3

17.8/60 miles completed

Great run today. Temperature wasn't too bad. It was a little humid, but breezy enough to be nice. I ran a little different route today through the cemetery and then to the park. I saw a jack rabbit at the cemetery. I tried to get a picture, but he was too quick. I've seen rabbits before, but this was the first time I saw a jack rabbit while running.

I also did the kr30dc day 3 today. I'm glad to know I am not the only one who had trouble with the frog stretch.

Happy Anniversary @wishiwasarunner.

exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Ugh, what a day. Boyfriend just got back from Bucharest and now he's sick. Which makes me worry. Worry about him, worry that I'm going to get sick too. My stress levels were pretty high when I went out for my run tonight. And I find that high stress levels make for some pretty great runs, actually. That's when I'm able to run the fastest. No PRs or anything today, but I was cranking out a lot of sub-11:00 miles. Wound up with 6.3 miles and felt pretty darn good when I got home.

Keeping my fingers crossed I don't get sick... I already crapped out on two runs due to TOM, last thing I need is to miss more due to being sick.

One more annoyance: West Coast baseball games! Darn Cubs game doesn't start until 9 pm! Phooey!

August total - 28 / 100 miles