August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Told myself I was taking time away... I lied.... thanks. I know they be caring.... my personality just doesn't go for that.... I'm weird like that.... so so weird.... and psyched for tomorrow. I have a pork burrito packed and ready to go now.

Soooo.... this just caused my iPad to get a bath... I choked on my water laughing.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bbrandi82 wrote: »
    I hope you wouldn't mind if I joined in late? I have a half marathon coming in October and need some motivation, encouragement with training.

Jump in! Welcom!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was AFK for few days, and so here I am- reading over 200 absolutely wonderful posts, clicking "Like" and "Awesome" left and right. This group of people never fails to amaze me :smile:

For those of you who run in the morning: do you have a snack before you go out there? I know it's probably a matter of preference, but I am interested in what other runners do to keep their bellies from throwing a *kitten*-fest at ya mid run.

I almost always eat before running - especially if I am planning to run more than 6-7 miles. But I remember Stan remarking that he likes to run fasted - I think he gave a nice explanation of why in last month's thread. I am not opposed to improving - but I also do this mostly for staying fit - and not being miserable on my runs keeps me doing this more than I would if I was hungry and tired when I ran, lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So for my rest day I got to spend hours with my a flat tire on my truck, side wall blew out. No two ways about it, have to change it.

Okay pull in to a parking lot, and start to get out the jack and etc - but the owner of the parking lot came out saying this was their "prime time" and I was taking up valuable space. *sigh* drive the truck a little farther on the flat, now at a place where getting at the tire is much harder, but at least the owner goes away.

Set the parking brake and get out the spare. It is, of course, flat and of course, the pump I carry in my truck is broken. But the spare is less flat than the tire on the truck, so I decided to try it. Next, I get out the lug wrench and attempt to get the lug nuts loose. The will not budge. Great.

Just then a fellow pastor pulls up and asks if I need help. I brief him and he takes the spare tire and heads off to get it filled with air and comes back with a bigger wrench.

Lug nuts still will not budge. Call the tire place that put them on and they offer to let us borrow an even bigger wrench. Pastor buddy goes and gets it, comes back with a wrench that is about FIVE FEET long. That is finally enough leverage that can break the nuts free - still was a struggle, but we got them off.

Okay lift the truck the rest of the way... but wait! there is more! The stupid scissor jack can not get the truck up high enough to get the tire off. Pastor buddy gets the jack out of his car and we use it to compress the shock and get the few more inches we need. So we get the spare on... and then lower the truck on it... and it s low on air, again. Of course. And it is starting to rain.

BUT the spare has SOME air, and it is only a mile to the tire place, so I throw everything into the truck and head to the tire store. I sit and wait while they fix the spare tire and take the main tire back into the shop. It is, of course, unfixable so they will have to replace the original tire, which of course is not in stock. Thankfully I have road hazard insurance on the tires so it is covered, but ugh. Sometime next week I will get the tire, until then I am on the patched spare.

If I put this in a book, y'all would tell me that it was too many coincidences in a row and unrealistic. heh. Shows what you know. :tongue:

haha! Did you try bouncing on the lug wrench to loosen it? That's how we girls do it (well, I don't.. I have run flats and an 800 number- but I have!).
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    haha! Did you try bouncing on the lug wrench to loosen it? That's how we girls do it (well, I don't.. I have run flats and an 800 number- but I have!).

Actually, yes! Probably looked stupid doing it, but was out of ideas at that point :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    Hi, everybody! I have never been a runner before. I tried C25K a year or so ago and failed miserably at it, but in February of this year I put my mind in the right place and decided to drop some pounds. So here I am, 68 pounds later, just finishing up week 2 of C25K. My goal for this month is just to keep on with the program, so I'll check in here every time I finish a week, or fail to finish a week. Hoping to run the local 5K Turkey Trot in November.

Sounds great! Welcome to the party!
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @allyphoe @zdyb23456 @wishiwasarunner thanks for your replies. I have been running for roughly 12 years and always fasted (unless it's a 26.2/13.1 race). I never get hungry or thirsty during my runs, always replenish my fluids and food right after though. But this morning I was starving around mile 7 - it really caught me off guard. Maybe it's my bodies way of saying I need more fuel, who knows?

@ddmom0811 thank you! Time does fly! Exactly 3 years ago I did my Aug. 2014 running challenge here with a goal of 135 miles or so, wanted to increase the goal to 140-145 for September, then found out I was pregnant. And now I have this wild monkey in my life - would not change a thing!

@bbrandi82 welcome! And good luck with training for your race. Which one are you running?

@MobyCarp Your race schedule is impressive! Love it! Do you keep your bibs and medals in some super organized way that will totally put mine to shame? It won't be hard, since I just drop mine in one drawer and call it a day. In any case, I do hope your leg feels better soon and you return to feeling normal. On a slightly different note, what does one have to do to become a pacer?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal: 4 x 4

8/1: 4.72 1hr
    8/2 4.58 1:01
    8/3 rest
    8/4 5.26 1:03
    8/5 4.10 0:53
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6.37 1:11
    8/8 4.10 1:00
    8/9 4.11 0:51
    8/10 rest
    8/11 4.09 0:48

Total 37.53

@MNLittleFinn have good, safe and happy run tomorrow (and enjoy your pork burrito)!
    @RespectTheKitty get better soon...
    Yay! @carolineb81 on your long run

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Actually, yes! Probably looked stupid doing it, but was out of ideas at that point :lol:

Bouncing is all very well except when you have the crappy wrench that came with the car and it bends.....

I bought an extendable wrench for this very purpose. But I've still had to beg for help to loosen the nuts (it helps being female). I've also had to call for rescue in the rain as I couldn't undo them. I blame the garage who service the vehicle for doing them up too tight.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    August Goal - 120 Miles

8/1/17 - 4.02 Easy
    8/2/17 - 4.15 Easy
    8/3/17 - 4.0 Easy
    8/4/17 - 4.5 Easy
    8/5/17 - 6.0 Easy
    8/6/17 - 3.0 Easy
    8/8/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/9/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/10/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/11/17 - 5.0 Easy
    8/12/17 - 7.5 Easy

Total 53.2 of 120
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    August goal is 125 (Probably out of reach since I got no miles in the first week)

Aug 1.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 2.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 3.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 4.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 5.....no run.....MTD 0 miles
    Aug 6.....10 miles..MTD 10 miles
    Aug 7.....no run.....MTD 10 miles
    Aug 8.....3.1 miles..MTD 13.1 miles. 1st run of 1/2 marathon training program.
    Aug 9.....3.2 miles..MTD 16.3 miles 2nd run of 1/2 marathon training program
    Aug 10...4 miles.....MTD 20.3 miles 3rd run of 1/2 training program
    Aug 11...0 miles.....MTD 20.3. Rest day
    Aug 12...0 miles.....MTD 20.3. 1/2 marathon plan cross training day. 1 hour bike ride.

@PastorVincent While there is never a convenient time to get a flat, they always seen to happen to me at the most in-opportune times. My last one happened on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the NC mountains about 35 miles from the nearest town. First challenge was finding a place to change it on the narrow winding road and then driving on said road in the rain without losing control. Not a fun day in what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation. Good luck in getting everything squared away.

5 mile run tomorrow per plan. Happy running everyone.