86k7wmnq2a75.jpg
    Oh Yeah!

What was your method for this? Sorry if you already posted previously

Yes, please share this recipe. My icecream recipe was a fail
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    maisiba wrote: »
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your trying to make ice cream or fluff but it kinda sounds like your going for ice cream?
    After I failed with the ice cream at first, I started this "in between" version. It's in between basic fluff (made in a bowl without any ice, like in the video posted in this thread) and your ice cream. It actually works pretty well and I think the consistency is in between the basic fluff and your ice cream version as well. I like it because I can use Whey and it's faster too (and yes, I used more milk because there is no syrup in this version). It fluffs pretty well and is creamier than the basic fluff.
    Also when you say you couldn't get your ice cream to fluff, I'm not sure I understand. For me (in a blender) it will rise and thicken once its fully blended and double in volume from just being crushed ice. I definitely get A LOT of it (not halving the recipe though), about 6 cups worth or a 1.5 quart bowl full which is not quite as much volume as protein fluff but it makes up for that by being ice cream :)
    I'm sure my problem was a weak blender (by the time the ice cubes were crushed it was all very liquid) and me using casein. I tried using the blender again with one of my experiments which worked well in the food processor but couldn't get that version to fluff in the bender either, so my blender might just not be suitable for fluff. I think I'm ready to give it another go with your ice cream version now that I know where the pitfalls are. I had planned on reducing the milk with the added syrup but thanks a lot for all your tips.

What I can really recommend trying is using ice cubes out of black coffee. I think it enhances the taste well for basically no calories (for fluffs/ice creams where it fits obviously).

Your in between version sounds good too, and if your happy with that then I call that a win ;)

Gotcha. Yeah if the blender can't crush up ice very well, its definitely going to be a struggle to make ice cream. Mine will crush an entire tray of ice cubes in 3 seconds to snow which is pretty impressive to me. My old blender would just struggle and I would end up with quite a few large chunks of ice mixed in my ice cream boo.

I think quite a few people are using a food processor very successfully for their ice cream so that sounds like it might be the way to go for you too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out next time you decide to give it a go!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm not sure if your trying to make ice cream or fluff but it kinda sounds like your going for ice cream?
    After I failed with the ice cream at first, I started this "in between" version. It's in between basic fluff (made in a bowl without any ice, like in the video posted in this thread) and your ice cream. It actually works pretty well and I think the consistency is in between the basic fluff and your ice cream version as well. I like it because I can use Whey and it's faster too (and yes, I used more milk because there is no syrup in this version). It fluffs pretty well and is creamier than the basic fluff.
    Also when you say you couldn't get your ice cream to fluff, I'm not sure I understand. For me (in a blender) it will rise and thicken once its fully blended and double in volume from just being crushed ice. I definitely get A LOT of it (not halving the recipe though), about 6 cups worth or a 1.5 quart bowl full which is not quite as much volume as protein fluff but it makes up for that by being ice cream :)
    I'm sure my problem was a weak blender (by the time the ice cubes were crushed it was all very liquid) and me using casein. I tried using the blender again with one of my experiments which worked well in the food processor but couldn't get that version to fluff in the bender either, so my blender might just not be suitable for fluff. I think I'm ready to give it another go with your ice cream version now that I know where the pitfalls are. I had planned on reducing the milk with the added syrup but thanks a lot for all your tips.

What I can really recommend trying is using ice cubes out of black coffee. I think it enhances the taste well for basically no calories (for fluffs/ice creams where it fits obviously).

Your in between version sounds good too, and if your happy with that then I call that a win ;)

Gotcha. Yeah if the blender can't crush up ice very well, its definitely going to be a struggle to make ice cream. Mine will crush an entire tray of ice cubes in 3 seconds to snow which is pretty impressive to me. My old blender would just struggle and I would end up with quite a few large chunks of ice mixed in my ice cream boo.

I think quite a few people are using a food processor very successfully for their ice cream so that sounds like it might be the way to go for you too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out next time you decide to give it a go!

Which Ninja do you have? I'm in the market for a new blender.
  • ElvenToad

Ninja Professional model number BL610.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-professional-1000-3-speed-blender-black-silver/3883007.p?skuId=3883007

Under the photos there is a demo video where the guy shows you the blender making snow with a full tray of ice cubes in a few seconds. You bet your *kitten* that was the first thing I tested when I got it in my hands and yup, it sure as heck does. B)

I bought it after I returned an Oster blender that came with a food processor attachment thinking cool two in one. That Oster wouldn't crush ice AT ALL. If I can't make ice cream with it, its going back to the store (and it did, next day).

I love my Ninja <3
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Ninja Professional model number BL610.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-professional-1000-3-speed-blender-black-silver/3883007.p?skuId=3883007

Under the photos there is a demo video where the guy shows you the blender making snow with a full tray of ice cubes in a few seconds. You bet your *kitten* that was the first thing I tested when I got it in my hands and yup, it sure as heck does. B)

I bought it after I returned an Oster blender that came with a food processor attachment thinking cool two in one. That Oster wouldn't crush ice AT ALL. If I can't make ice cream with it, its going back to the store (and it did, next day).

I love my Ninja <3

Thank you! I know what I want for my birthday this month :smiley:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I also love my Ninja! It doesn't make snow in 3 seconds but probably about 10 - 15 seconds. It's not the high dollar one but I've had it a few years and still works like new.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    j6o3yhtka2xp.jpeg

My ginormous (and quite tasty) lunch. It contained:

200g chicken breast
    350g cauliflower (oven-roasted and then added in last)
    125g fresh mushrooms
    50g onions
    50g green bell pepper
    20g olives
    A full bag of tofu shirataki "angel hair" noodles, soaked in water with soy sauce and then drained and dry-fried
    Plus fresh garlic, cilantro, and spring onions, along with generous piles of different spices and a bunch of oyster sauce. The whole thing came in at about 430 calories, and I was stuffed for hours!

That looks & sounds awesome Susie. Since you're an awesome baker do you have any volume desserts that you've tried?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Yesterday I had to buy a new blender since the original one I had decided to crap out the past few days. The poor blender just sounded so tired trying to make my delicious protein ice cream. I can't complain since it lasted me a few years & was more or less a smoothie blender the kind with the top that you push down to propel the blades. Plus it was only around $10-15 dollars when I had bought it on deep discount.

I went to Wal-Mart & first looked at the Ninja's, but couldn't justify spending around $79.00-$100.00 for a blender. I ended up purchasing this https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-PowerCrush-Digital-Quiet-Blender-New-Quiet-Technology-BL1300DG-P/185794834 which was around $50-52 including tax. I figure if I don't like it or it doesn't live up to the technology I can always return it during the 90 day warranty Wal-Mart offers.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    51-SSZ9eGiL._AC_US218_.jpg

Also can't wait till this comes back so I can make Shamrock Shake ice cream!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    j6o3yhtka2xp.jpeg

My ginormous (and quite tasty) lunch. It contained:

200g chicken breast
    350g cauliflower (oven-roasted and then added in last)
    125g fresh mushrooms
    50g onions
    50g green bell pepper
    20g olives
    A full bag of tofu shirataki "angel hair" noodles, soaked in water with soy sauce and then drained and dry-fried
    Plus fresh garlic, cilantro, and spring onions, along with generous piles of different spices and a bunch of oyster sauce. The whole thing came in at about 430 calories, and I was stuffed for hours!

That looks & sounds awesome Susie. Since you're an awesome baker do you have any volume desserts that you've tried?

Sadly, I'm a bit too picky to mess with my desserts! At the beginning when I was all gung-ho about making EVERYTHING low calorie I tried all the recipes I could find (Even tried to make cookies with light "can't believe it's not butter"!) and definitely learned that some things just... shouldn't be tampered with :D. For low-ish calories, I really enjoy the instant Jell-O sugar-free fat-free line, along with sugar free cherry flavored jello (no specific brand), but when I want a cookie or a brownie, I want a real one! I'm very interested in Halo Top (they don't sell it here) and the protein ice cream being discussed above, though. ;)
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Yesterday I had to buy a new blender since the original one I had decided to crap out the past few days. The poor blender just sounded so tired trying to make my delicious protein ice cream. I can't complain since it lasted me a few years & was more or less a smoothie blender the kind with the top that you push down to propel the blades. Plus it was only around $10-15 dollars when I had bought it on deep discount.

I went to Wal-Mart & first looked at the Ninja's, but couldn't justify spending around $79.00-$100.00 for a blender. I ended up purchasing this https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-PowerCrush-Digital-Quiet-Blender-New-Quiet-Technology-BL1300DG-P/185794834 which was around $50-52 including tax. I figure if I don't like it or it doesn't live up to the technology I can always return it during the 90 day warranty Wal-Mart offers.

Let us know how it works out. My ninja isn't the greatest. It gets it done, but takes a while. If I keep making ice cream like I have been(and you better believe I will! :p ), I'm going to need something better/faster.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    IMHO there is nothing better than this......... Inspiralizer. inspiralized.com/shop/
    And she has tons of recipes. I got one myself and since then I go 4 more for family members.

Life's too short. I'd rather pay $8 at Whole Foods.

My b-hole tightened a little when I read that. $8 for zucchini???

Exactly. He is paying $8 for one spirilized zucchini when a zucchini costs around $1. Wow... life really is too short.

it's actually a fuckton more than just 1 zucchini. lol. and it's more like $6. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ElvenToad

I've always loved my Black+Decker appliances. I hope it works well for you!
  • ElvenToad

Hold the phone! Is it seasonal? I googled and saw there is also a pumpkin pie flavor of this but also not available currently.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly

Hold the phone! Is it seasonal? I googled and saw there is also a pumpkin pie flavor of this but also not available currently.

Yeah this flavor comes back around March or April. It looks like Amazon has some at astronomical prices.
  • ElvenToad
    edited August 2017

Yeah this flavor comes back around March or April. It looks like Amazon has some at astronomical prices.

I will have to remember to look for it next year. Hmm in the meantime it looks like I could experiment with the actual recipe for the real Shamrock shake to make an ice cream version. Vanilla pp, almond milk, green food coloring, peppermint extract, and the syrup. Topped with Fat free reddi whip and maraschino cherries.

I have vanilla pp, but I don't have any pep extract. I remember trying to find it last Christmas for baking and it was always out of stock so now is probably the best time to get it. Will get some this week and try it.

Been meaning to get some anyway to make the thin mints version with the Quest cookies n cream :p
  • ElvenToad
    I bought a tub of Pure Protein French Vanilla pp awhile ago on Amazon but I didn't really like it that much as a shake or in my cheesecake recipe so its just been sitting in my pantry. I decided to give it a go as ice cream (inspired by @nowine4me with the chocolate syrup and sprinkles). Annnnd holy crap, it makes delicious creamy freaking ice cream and I feel like an idiot for not trying it sooner :o

It says it has 5g sugar per serving and I'm wondering if that's why the texture seemed more crystallized.. more "ice creamy" than what I'm used to with Quest or ON.

vj6n2yx8jq8o.jpg
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    My husband and kids picked up the Ninja for my birthday and gave it to me yesterday for an early gift because they know I wanted it.

Oh my. What a difference it makes. I shouldn't have eaten the ice cream yet (IBS is still flaring), but the difference making it in that from making it in my old Oster was like night and day!