Green Smoothie Cleanse - Store bought smoothie recommendation

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    Again, you make it seem like a long term diet instead of a 3 day temporary regimen to push those with lack of will power.

Are you seriously telling me that you've never fallen into an unhealthy eating pattern? Are you telling me you always had will power to stick to healthy foods and not once failed back into a bad eating pattern?

There's positive studies (google them) without any negative side effects from juicing for 3 days straight. I'm obtaining my nutrients from other sources (vitamins). The only thing being a slight impact is lack of protein.

There have been times when I have looked at my overall diet and seen things I could improve. And then, I just, you know, improved them. I didn't do it through eliminating solid food. In fact, I think that's a really poor way to approach it because it doesn't prepare you to choose foods that make you feel better once you are off the "cleanse."

If you stop thinking of your diet as having to be 100% healthy foods or otherwise you're in a "bad eating pattern," it might be easier for you to stop thinking about eating well as something that requires strict will power to maintain. It's just . . . eating. Meet your nutritional needs, avoid the foods that make you feel terrible, and eat foods that you enjoy. That's all.

Which studies are you referring to? Since you've already read them, sharing them will be faster than people here trying to Google them and guess which ones you are referring to.

Which studies convinced you?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    ttcbelieve wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    So I have done a 10 day green smoothie cleanse (ok I've only made it to day 7!), but I loved the results. I made the smoothies myself though. I do the cleanse whenever I want to Jumpstart my weight loss journey. I am getting myself prepared to do it again, and i say that because i really have to prepare myself mentally to only drink smoothies. Although the cleanse i use lets me eat hard boiled eggs, small handful of nuts, and crunchy veggies so i don't feel like i am starving. Others may not agree but FOR ME it really helps. I feel like I lose the cravings for junk food and the need to snack whenever I'm not hungry. It works for me, and I see no reason why you shouldn't at least try it. If you have it in your mind that it will work, then there's a higher chance that it will. Good luck!

Thanks and I agree, that's the reason I want to give it a try. I considered trying to do the smoothies myself at home, but knowing myself...i'll use it as an excuse not to do it at all. I'll see how the home purchase smoothies work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but putting my mind to it for sure. I need all the luck I can get :-)

I'm beyond trying to talk you out of doing this, but believing that weight loss is a matter of "luck" is what's causing you to fail over and over. Until you believe that you have control over your own eating habits you will always be derailed by the "bad luck" in your life.

I agree, remember I'm doing this to jump start. I do not think cleansing is a sustainable way to lose weight

Jump start what? I mean really, what? This will not result in any more progress than a calorie deficit. If you think it will mentally jump start you or get you in the right mindset to make some changes, you can have the same mental jump start without a useless cleanse. Just choose to do it. That's the jump start.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    So I have done a 10 day green smoothie cleanse (ok I've only made it to day 7!), but I loved the results. I made the smoothies myself though. I do the cleanse whenever I want to Jumpstart my weight loss journey. I am getting myself prepared to do it again, and i say that because i really have to prepare myself mentally to only drink smoothies. Although the cleanse i use lets me eat hard boiled eggs, small handful of nuts, and crunchy veggies so i don't feel like i am starving. Others may not agree but FOR ME it really helps. I feel like I lose the cravings for junk food and the need to snack whenever I'm not hungry. It works for me, and I see no reason why you shouldn't at least try it. If you have it in your mind that it will work, then there's a higher chance that it will. Good luck!

Thanks and I agree, that's the reason I want to give it a try. I considered trying to do the smoothies myself at home, but knowing myself...i'll use it as an excuse not to do it at all. I'll see how the home purchase smoothies work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but putting my mind to it for sure. I need all the luck I can get :-)

I'm beyond trying to talk you out of doing this, but believing that weight loss is a matter of "luck" is what's causing you to fail over and over. Until you believe that you have control over your own eating habits you will always be derailed by the "bad luck" in your life.

I agree, remember I'm doing this to jump start. I do not think cleansing is a sustainable way to lose weight

Yes, I understand that you are not using this in the expectation of losing any real weight. What I'm seeing is that you are preparing yourself for what you anticipate will be an unpleasant few days after which you believe your cravings will be under control. What happens if you can't complete the "cleanse" because you just can't stick it out or life gets in the way? Will you continue to feel like you can't lose weight because you have no control over your cravings? What happens if you're successful and after some period of time have a very bad day and end up eating all the trigger foods? Or go to a restaurant, or have a night out? Will you be able to step back from that and continue with your long-term food plan? Does your food plan even allow for any of the things you love to eat, in moderation? I just see this mindset as leading to more weight-loss failure in the future, and another cycle of feeling out of control and searching for the newest "jump-start".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I need to do this as a jump start. Why? Because if I go from eating high sodium foods or sugary foods and slowly ween in to healthier alternatives- I rarely stick to it. My mentality is : "I'll start it tomorrow."
    When you purchase and invest into 3 days worth of quickly perishable juices - there's no tomorrow. It's literally you're doing this now without any excuse. Hungry? Increase water intake. Next thing you know - you've double or tripled the average water intake you normally have. Once the three days are complete- the likelihood of desiring the foods you were having daily is minimal.
    That's why I like juicing. It's just a jumpstart to making a regimen stick.
    It works for some people and it doesn't work for others.

You have posted this thread here and have posted a thread in the debate section about having tried the HCG diet.

I'm sensing a pattern here regarding trying unsustainable, gimmicky weight loss "hacks" and learning nothing lasting and yo-yo behavior.

Maybe I'm projecting, but that was my experience with weight loss. Always looking for the gimmick or trick and never really learning anything.

Until I gave up on gimmicks, jump starts, and fads.

You don't need things like this, but moreover, they are counterproductive to the main goal of lasting, sustainable to change that leads to lasting, sustainable weight loss that you maintain for good.

Weight loss like that is not "jump-started" with juice cleanses, it's started with learning how weight loss works, it's started with forming healthy habits, and it's started with getting rid of the idea that you can hack your way into getting rid of a few pounds fast to get yourself "on track".

Managing weight is a life-long commitment. You're never "off track".

People would be much better off if they "jumpstarted" and "cleansed" with the bowel-scouring amount of fiber you get when you do the 800g-of-veg-a-day challenge several of us have done! :D

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in/p1

I just do NOT get why people are so set on stripping out their fiber, whether it is eating ultra-processed foods on one hand, or doing juicing "cleanses" on the other hand. It makes zero nutritional sense and is completely irrational. If you eat enough fiber, you're not going to be doing much snackin'.

Stripping out healthy fiber is one of many reasons why I no longer juice. I do make fruit/veggie/protein smoothies almost every day, blending it all in my food processor. So filling!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely not meant to be long term. I just find it hilarious you all seem to presume you all eat healthy all the time. So all of you have never relapse with bad eating habits? You're all your appropriate BMI? Weight?

I've had many relapses into bad habits and there are a lot of ways to get myself back on track. Throwing away two weeks worth of my grocery budget on a juice cleanse is not one of them. Journaling, tracking, reconsidering my motivations, setting small goals, trying new recipes, joining a challenge like the veggie challenge, starting a walking challenge, keeping a calendar to track my goals reached, talking to my therapist, and about a hundred different ways that are cheaper and have longer term results.

One I like (for people who have access to one): walking around a farmer's market and picking out fruits and vegetables that I'm excited to eat.

<nods>

That makes a whole lot more sense to me than gagging down some slimy, foul-tasting 'magical' concoction from a blender for three or four days. The only thing that would "reboot" for me would be a desire for a quick, painless death rather than continuing on that regimen.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Again, you make it seem like a long term diet instead of a 3 day temporary regimen to push those with lack of will power.

Are you seriously telling me that you've never fallen into an unhealthy eating pattern? Are you telling me you always had will power to stick to healthy foods and not once failed back into a bad eating pattern?

There's positive studies (google them) without any negative side effects from juicing for 3 days straight. I'm obtaining my nutrients from other sources (vitamins). The only thing being a slight impact is lack of protein.

I'm seriously telling you (I know the you you are asking is all of us replying to this post) that I don't give up anything I want a candy bar, ice cream, pie I eat it I just mix in the carrots, steak, fish, apples, beans etc. and I can stick to this weight loss thing by CICO, and I am good to go.