Green Smoothie Cleanse - Store bought smoothie recommendation

Options

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Stacyines wrote: »
    It's absolutely not meant to be long term. I just find it hilarious you all seem to presume you all eat healthy all the time. So all of you have never relapse with bad eating habits? You're all your appropriate BMI? Weight?

I don't think it has to do with that at all and BMI is a terrible way to judge individuals. For large populations it works but not for one person. Body fat percentage is better but since all measuring methods are prone to error even that is dicey.

The reason many are pushing back as hard as they are is because they don't feel ANY scientific evidence supports cleansing or juicing. Now I honestly don't care either way but to support your position provide the links to studies that are peer reviewed that shows it works and people will start to shut up. Telling people to look it up doesn't work and neither is the thinly veiled shaming comment above.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely not meant to be long term. I just find it hilarious you all seem to presume you all eat healthy all the time. So all of you have never relapse with bad eating habits? You're all your appropriate BMI? Weight?

You're not getting it. Almost all of us have fallen back into bad eating habits. What we've learned is how to move past it and continue towards our goals. What I don't see happening here is any plan to manage lapses other than doing juice "cleanses" over and over. If anyone finds that's a sustainable way to manage their weight then obviously that's the path they should take, but given the thousands of posts by people miserable and discouraged who've gone this route I can't see it as a viable strategy.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    But how does that make you stick with anything in the long term? I am genuinely baffled.

IKR? And not only that, but how does not giving your body everything it needs (ie protein, fat, fiber, etc) for 3 days help you start a healthy lifestyle??? It's like saying I'm really depressed and lonely so to jumpstart my effort to cheer up and meet people I'm going to stay in my home alone for 3 days and watch true crime and war documentaries :neutral:

RFLOL
  • ttcbelieve
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ttcbelieve wrote: »
    I need to do this as a jump start. Why? Because if I go from eating high sodium foods or sugary foods and slowly ween in to healthier alternatives- I rarely stick to it. My mentality is : "I'll start it tomorrow."
    When you purchase and invest into 3 days worth of quickly perishable juices - there's no tomorrow. It's literally you're doing this now without any excuse. Hungry? Increase water intake. Next thing you know - you've double or tripled the average water intake you normally have. Once the three days are complete- the likelihood of desiring the foods you were having daily is minimal.
    That's why I like juicing. It's just a jumpstart to making a regimen stick.
    It works for some people and it doesn't work for others.

You have posted this thread here and have posted a thread in the debate section about having tried the HCG diet.

I'm sensing a pattern here regarding trying unsustainable, gimmicky weight loss "hacks" and learning nothing lasting and yo-yo behavior.

Maybe I'm projecting, but that was my experience with weight loss. Always looking for the gimmick or trick and never really learning anything.

Until I gave up on gimmicks, jump starts, and fads.

You don't need things like this, but moreover, they are counterproductive to the main goal of lasting, sustainable to change that leads to lasting, sustainable weight loss that you maintain for good.

Weight loss like that is not "jump-started" with juice cleanses, it's started with learning how weight loss works, it's started with forming healthy habits, and it's started with getting rid of the idea that you can hack your way into getting rid of a few pounds fast to get yourself "on track".

Managing weight is a life-long commitment. You're never "off track".

People would be much better off if they "jumpstarted" and "cleansed" with the bowel-scouring amount of fiber you get when you do the 800g-of-veg-a-day challenge several of us have done! :D

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in/p1

I just do NOT get why people are so set on stripping out their fiber, whether it is eating ultra-processed foods on one hand, or doing juicing "cleanses" on the other hand. It makes zero nutritional sense and is completely irrational. If you eat enough fiber, you're not going to be doing much snackin'.

I had to scale back. I was in on that one and a lot of my intake was raw. The IBS nightmare was real!

No more raw veggies for me. I keep it around 800 now, all cooked except for fruit.

But you do bring up a good point.

@WinoGelato is often fond of noting how instead of doing without, how she looked to add more to her life. More fruits and veggies, more steps, more activity.

It would be so refreshing to see someone "jumpstarting" their weight loss by doing something like @estherdragonbat has done by getting a new cookbook and working her way through it, or announcing they got a Fitibit and that they're looking for friends to do step challenges with or for suggestions for new vegetables to try because they're going to challenge themselves to try a new vegetable every week

These things are meaningful steps towards lasting, sustainable change. I just wish more people posted about them than posted about these silly cleanses and detoxes.

Good point. My regular jumpstart is the 4 Day Flat Belly Jump Start Diet. The problem this time is that I have ZERO desire to do it this time. Don't know why. I just know I have been thinking about doing it for the last 4 weeks, keep procrastinating and continuing the bad habit. I know jumpstart does help to get me off the sweets and bad habits, once that's done I'm good. Sine I have ZERO :-) desire to do the normal flat belly. I'm giving the smoothie cleanse a try. Also important to note is that this is not a juice cleanse. half of it includes raw vegetables. There is the option to do all veggies but since I am a newbie to cleansing...I'll do the plan that has half fruit and half veggies. It may work and it may not work. who knows, i'll find out soon enough. If it gets me off my craving..then I'm all good :-). My expectations are low. thought of drinking the vegetables is more Frightening

The fact that you have to do "jumpstarts" over and over again should tell you something about their effectiveness.

True.
  • ttcbelieve
    Options

According to Cronometer, I consistently meet my nutritional needs and my blood work (done annually) is awesome. The food I eat tastes great and makes me feel good.

My BMI is 19 and I'm at my goal weight. I've been maintaining for almost two years now.

So does that make my opinions more valid?

Naaaa....Not really. I maintained for 3yrs
  • ttcbelieve
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I've had many relapses into bad habits and there are a lot of ways to get myself back on track. Throwing away two weeks worth of my grocery budget on a juice cleanse is not one of them. Journaling, tracking, reconsidering my motivations, setting small goals, trying new recipes, joining a challenge like the veggie challenge, starting a walking challenge, keeping a calendar to track my goals reached, talking to my therapist, and about a hundred different ways that are cheaper and have longer term results.

One I like (for people who have access to one): walking around a farmer's market and picking out fruits and vegetables that I'm excited to eat.

<nods>

That makes a whole lot more sense to me than gagging down some slimy, foul-tasting 'magical' concoction from a blender for three or four days. The only thing that would "reboot" for me would be a desire for a quick, painless death rather than continuing on that regimen.

That's how I expect to feel over the next 3-5 days :-)

• ttcbelieve
    Options
    If they worked, you wouldn't have to do them more than once.

That's what I'm hoping
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

ttcbelieve wrote: »
    I tried committing. It did not work.

So what makes you think you can commit to a "cleanse"? And if you can, then you can commit to getting on track without a "cleanse".
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the thing is once you get into the mindset to eat a certain way you need to stay in that mindset and to stay on track otherwise you will get off track. you have to want it bad enough to stick with it. I know for me I dont want to get back to being overweight,out of breath,out of shape and taking more meds than I am now. for me thats my motivation for sticking with the lifestyle Im following.if I fail I now to get right back on and go from there. I dont give up and then come back and start over and over. once you begin you need to know that you need to stay the course.