Green Smoothie Cleanse - Store bought smoothie recommendation

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    But how does that make you stick with anything in the long term? I am genuinely baffled.

IKR? And not only that, but how does not giving your body everything it needs (ie protein, fat, fiber, etc) for 3 days help you start a healthy lifestyle??? It's like saying I'm really depressed and lonely so to jumpstart my effort to cheer up and meet people I'm going to stay in my home alone for 3 days and watch true crime and war documentaries :neutral:

Interesting analogy. Reminded me of a housemate who planted herself in front of CNN for days after 9/11. It didn't go well.

I was wondering if there might be a penitent/self flagellating aspect to these VLC "cleanses" and found this: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/juice_cleanses_not_healthy_not_virtuous_just_expensive.html
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    But how does that make you stick with anything in the long term? I am genuinely baffled.

IKR? And not only that, but how does not giving your body everything it needs (ie protein, fat, fiber, etc) for 3 days help you start a healthy lifestyle??? It's like saying I'm really depressed and lonely so to jumpstart my effort to cheer up and meet people I'm going to stay in my home alone for 3 days and watch true crime and war documentaries :neutral:

Interesting analogy. Reminded me of a housemate who planted herself in front of CNN for days after 9/11. It didn't go well.

I was wondering if there might be a penitent/self flagellating aspect to these VLC "cleanses" and found this: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/juice_cleanses_not_healthy_not_virtuous_just_expensive.html

Mmmmm...nothin' better than Hairshirt in a Bottle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think there totally is.

I also think it's a superstitious thing: if I go through this penance, I will be relieved of my love for foods I think I should not eat and magically only want to eat a healthy diet.

In reality, I think you chance your tastes and start eating a healthful diet mainly by developing tastes and habits that lead to that, by learning how to cook healthy meals even under stressful or time-crunch situations, to habitually eat meals that taste good to you that are also nutrient-dense and calorie-appropriate, so on. A juice cleanse takes less time, but doesn't do the work that is required.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you have the willpower to drink nothing but juice for several days, you have it to change your eating habits. You simply don't want to and think that the juice will somehow magically kill all your cravings, kick you in the butt, and put you on the right path.

I eat Halo Top ice cream every night and I'm losing weight. You don't have to deprive yourself of food you want to eat, whether it's ice cream or chocolate or wine. You just have to make it all fit into a calorie deficit. It's basic math, not rocket science.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I gave up reading on page 4 just wanted to say to all the familiar faces i see on here constantly,

So that's what you look like from the neck up :)

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I gave up reading on page 4 just wanted to say to all the familiar faces i see on here constantly,

iv always had face pics up you big boob. i miss you
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

iv always had face pics up you big boob. i miss you

Yeah, I just look at the pictures in threads and try not to stalk you youngins too much. Feel creepy some times.....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @ttcbelieve, I had a "green smoothie" for breakfast this morning. I have no idea if it meets the criteria for your source to be a 'detox cleansing green smoothie'.

Ingredients today: 4.4 oz kefir (I've seen Lifeway Kefir at WalMart, but ferment my own), 1 oz hulled hemp, 1 oz frozen berries, 30 g powdered peanut, 12 g LIV Fit Superfood Blend, [ 3 g creatine, not necessary], 60 g kale, 84 g frozen banana, 9.3 oz ice. Blend 3 minutes and it's both green and smooth. I like it and have it often.

Any frozen banana will do. I usually try to use only 4.0 oz kefir. Any green vegetable will do, but the bitter kale serves a purpose in the flavor I get and it will taste differently if you change the source of chlorophyll.