August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I've heard of the high kick used in barefoot running circles. I can see how there would actually be less effort to swing the leg forward if the foot is up, and have been trying this myself rather than a horrible tendency I have to straight leg run (made worse by hyperextension meaning my lower leg extends beyond the knee line).

Completely unscientifically I tested the high leg kick on my run last night (brownie points to me for actually getting out and running like I said). It felt light and easy going, and it is something I think I will explore further.

Just to confirm, it's a flick back with the foot (kicking your butt) rather than a push.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/1: 7 miles of Track Tuesday
    8/2: 7.1 miles easy
    8/3: 8 miles "tempo run"
    8/3: 6.3 miles group run
    8/4: Rest day
    8/5: 6 miles
    8/6: 16 miles
    8/7: 6 miles group run + lift/strength
    8/8: 7 miles Track Tuesday
    8/9: 5 miles + lift/strength
    8/10: 6.8 miles "tempo Thursday"
    8/10: 6.1 mile
    8/11: Rest day
    8/12: 6.4 miles
    8/13: 15.8 miles
    8/14: 3.2 miles
    8/15: 9.4 miles of Track Tuesday
    8/16: 5 miles
    8/17: 8 miles "tempo run"

129.1 miles of 250 goal miles

Another tempo run thwarted by poo today. I wasn't feeling very peppy from the start, with 62-64F, 96% humidity and a dew point of ~63 (but felt much higher? idk), and my legs still a bit fatigued from Tuesday's track workout. I was keeping up with my group until about 5 miles in and then I slowed, and then the last 2 miles I gave up and walk-ran home instead of finishing the 10 mile route (which was an excellent route and I was bummed to have to cut it short!).

I never have an issue with pre-run poops except on Thursday. IDK if it's because I'm up just a bit earlier Thursdays than other days of week (we meet at 5:30 instead of 5:45 or 6:00) or if it's because I end up eating later on Wednesday after I do a strength workout Wed evening. I'm going to have to try to change my routine next week to avoid this again because today's run was no fun, especially being a repeat of the same issue as last week!

However since these miles were so slow today, I am going to try to add the 2 miles I missed to my group run tonight and do some up-tempo miles with the group. Might as well, since I'll have a rest day tomorrow (finally!).

Upcoming Races:
    Oct 8: Steamtown Marathon
    Oct 22: Perfect 10 (10 Miler)
    Nov 5: Princeton Half Marathon (pacer)

• kristinegift
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

August 16th.....couldn't do it. I should have run my long run...it was 88 degrees with a heat index of 97. Wimped out and went to the gym. 7 minutes on the stair climber and 29 minutes lifting weights. It was slightly cooler in the gym, only slightly. I haven't lifted weights since last February...boy did I feel weak.

I had a blast in Iowa. My mother admitted that she couldn't walk very far and opted out of seeing the Hoover home or the Amana colonies. I loved the Hoover museum. There was a blacksmith there (Hoover's dad was a blacksmith) who was blacksmithing and had a lot of insight on that period of history.

Take care, everyone....off to the State Fair tomorrow.

@ereck44 Oooh I'm from Cedar Rapids originally (in NJ now) and Amana Colonies is always a fun outing! And the Hoover Museum is great. Enjoy the State Fair!! I'm ashamed as an Iowan to say that I've never actually gone. Sample some deep fried butter for me! ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 6.1
    8/1- 4.2
    8/2- 6.1
    8/3- 4.5
    8/3- 6
    8/4- 8.1
    8/5- 15.2
    8/6- 5.1
    8/7- REST
    8/8- 6.6
    8/8- 4
    8/9- 6.2
    8/10- REST
    8/11- 4 icky not so fun miles
    8/12- 18.3
    8/13- REST/Recovery
    8/14- REST/Recovery
    8/15- 6.2
    6/16- 5.1
    6/17- 6.5

Total: 112.4

August Goal: Not die while ramping up running mileage and technicality during 100K training
    Nominal mileage goal: 250 miles haha, not going to happen

Today's notes: First speedwork session in a LONG time. Today's workout was 1 mile warm up in z1, then 12x400m with 200m rest. I'm not near a track, so I had to go with y garmin for split distance. 400m split times were:

1:55
    1:53
    1:50
    1:52
    1:51
    1:53<-- dodging cars through ankle deep water
    1:39<-- Decided to drop the hammer a little

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the workout. plan was to keep splits at 1:501-:53 and, except the first lap, I managed that. I actually feel great after this run. I haven't done these short interval runs before, so I'm not sure, am I supposed to feel great, or does this mean I can/should be pushing higher on my intervals? Pace for me was roughly 5k pace, for perspective.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF- Too hot and my mind wasn't in it.
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    5.5 today. August total 56.47/90

Look out! Falling caterpillars! As I was l running this am, I noticed a number these large caterpillars all over the road. As I knelt down to inspect one, I heard a wet "smack" and noticed they were dropping out of the tree above me! Uggg!!! Eeekkkk! Got back to the run rather quickly after that <3
    lpj4sty58nza.png

Tobacco horned worm I think. I tell ya, if I were a birthday bird that'd be a pizza!
    (Whys has my corrective text gone stupid)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Tobacco horned worm I think. I tell ya, if I were a birthday that'd be a pizza!

Umm...errr... what!?!? :confused:
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options

Edited to correct corrective text... It seriously getting terrible.

ETA although, "if I were a birthday" sounds like it could be an amazing thing... :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I didn't get up to go to the gym this morning. Partly because I can't find my gym pass and I don't really do interaction too well in the early morning so getting a replacement wasn't going to happen.

Partly also because I fancied a lie in with a cup of tea in bed. Which is daft because it's not a weekend and I was up by 7 anyway!!

BUT I feel so GOOD!!!!

Swim training this evening.

Lol! I just love your non-americanese!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Pace for me was roughly 5k pace, for perspective.

Ok, Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. But, I think short intervals are supposed to be run at a faster pace. My last summer track workout was 2x 2400m long intervals and the coach told us we should be pushing slightly faster than our 5k pace for those. When we've done shorter interval workouts he's told us to push pretty hard. I know, vague and non-specific, lol.

Again, I could be totally wrong. Some of our awesomely experienced brethren will, I'm sure, chime in with better info than I have, lol.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

ETA although, "if I were a birthday" sounds like it could be an amazing thing... :smiley:

I have autocorrect turned off. I let it underline in red but that is it. For this very reason. :)
  • Elise4270
    Options

I have autocorrect turned off. I let it underline in red but that is it. For this very reason. :)

Well, I can't spell so I kinda need it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Well, I can't spell so I kinda need it.

Same here, hence letting it underline in red instead of autocorrect. I can go back and fix anything it flags.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

how cool would it be to be a birthday. Giving joy to others once a year, with surprises up your sleeve and plenty of wrapping paper. Ooh and endless supplies of bubble wrap to roll in. Is it wrong that I am imagining the joy of rolling in bubble wrap?

If everyone were given an unlimited supply of bubble wrap the world might be a more peaceful place :D:D:D
  • kristinegift
    edited August 2017
    Options

Pace for me was roughly 5k pace, for perspective.

Ok, Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. But, I think short intervals are supposed to be run at a faster pace. My last summer track workout was 2x 2400m long intervals and the coach told us we should be pushing slightly faster than our 5k pace for those. When we've done shorter interval workouts he's told us to push pretty hard. I know, vague and non-specific, lol.

Again, I could be totally wrong. Some of our awesomely experienced brethren will, I'm sure, chime in with better info than I have, lol.

@KatieJane83 I know the last time I reviewed the Hansons marathon plan, shorter intervals were 5k pace or faster (I was doing 1:40 or less for 400s) and longer internals were just under half or marathon pace (mine were around 7:30 which is 10-30 seconds under MP). I think the speed of the intervals depends on your race goals. If I'm training to run for 3.5 hours, knocking out laps at a sub-5k pace won't do me that much good.

However when I switch to 5k/10k training this winter... >:)