WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Well ladies,Owner of the condo said no...so that's out...I'm going to pray about it and hope something comes up.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    So sorry Allie. :'(<3<3<3<3<3
    Something really good will come up, I'm sure.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Well ladies,Owner of the condo said no...so that's out...I'm going to pray about it and hope something comes up.

So sorry, I know how disappointed you must be. The right place will come at the right time. (((HUGS)))

Janetr okc
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Today: swam 1.25 miles. Getting stronger in the water, no longer have to 'limp' along in breaststroke but can move along on crawl for multiple lengths.

A three day road trip is Hard work! I'm quite sore and tired - it felt wonderful to be able to swim again today. Eating was tricky- car rides were typically McDonald's and potato chips- and actually these trips still are McDonald's and potato chips for my husband. Luckily preplanning (THANK YOU ALL for your good snacking suggestions!) and a chain of restaurants called Braums saved my bacon. Braums not only have a decent grilled chicken salad but they have a tiny grocery store in every restaurant. I was able to pick up diced watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple etc. On the road! So being a vacation: I ate more than I would have eaten here at home but all the right things and not TOO much.

Hot Flashes still awfully bad. First time ever in car DH put me in charge of air conditioning- lol.

I'm very glad we went off to see the eclipse. But I am also glad we avoided all the immense crowds that so many people seemed to encounter. We went to a small town called Hastings Nebraska and our trip there was fairly painless. We stayed the night before and the night of the eclipse in Wichita Kansas. I was charmed by Wichita's "old town".

I was distressed by the candid pictures my husband took of me during the trip, I had no idea how bad I actually looked – much less how bad I must've looked 20 pounds heavier when I started. I have 30 pounds left to lose to get to 'normal' BMI weight but judging by the way I look I probably have 50 pounds to go before I'm likely to be happy with my weight, health and how I looked. Since I only seem able to lose about 3 pounds a month I have a long way to go.

Therefore, I have decided to take the 'weight' off my shoulders and we will not be going to my reunion in October. If I feel so fat and ugly all the time at that gathering (and spend the whole time ducking cameras) I won't be able to relax and I certainly would not enjoy it. With that deadline out of the picture, I do feel better about my SLOW but steady progress than I did. I also feel less frantic now, and will probably schedule a diet break week (a week to eat at maintenance levels, not go crazy) to try to boost my morale about things. (Being short, the small caloric difference between the 1150ish calories I eat in diet and the 1400-1500 I'm calculating for maintenance is HUGE).

I certainly expected to be able to lose more than 20 pounds in over five months but I AM losing and I AM looking better and I AM feeling better. Without a deadline in front of me I can concentrate on those things not on how much I haven't accomplished.

Flu Vaccine: being allergic to eggs, for a long time I was advised by my doctor to NOT get a flu vaccine. I think that has changed now, but I've not made any effort to look too closely into it. I do hate getting shots. But I suppose it is time that I check into it again.

Loose Skin: I worry about that too. So thank you for those who shared encouraging words.

Wishing happy healthy rest of the week to y'all!

Rye in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Welcome to all the newbies. Keep coming back. Been getting lots of little niggling things done today. Still have to get our little billies scheduled to be castrated and redo the order form for new choir robes. Not sure how I ended up with that job but I did. We want the new robes in time for the Christmas cantata and the celebration of being in the new church building for 25 years. The old choir robes were bought 25 years ago when the church moved into its current building. It is past time for new ones!

Janet - Those ornaments are gorgeous! No wonder your family wants you to keep making them.

Joyce - I started taking Ambien years ago when I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis and taking prednisone on a regular basis. The prednisone made me not sleep hence the Ambien. I have been off the prednisone for about one year now but was addicted to the Ambien. I was able to get off of it finally by my doctor transitioning me to trazadone for one month and then quitting that. Have not taken the Ambien for about three months now. I still have occasional nights that it is hard to sleep but can take AlevePM and that helps.

Michelle - Hope Vince is feeling better. You keep hanging in there on the wedding thing.

Karen VA - Glad your little yorkie is perking up and you have some extra time with him. I put my old mare who has cushings on a supplement and after two weeks she seems to be doing better. Need to do at least two months to be sure it is helping. She is 27 years old.

Dorrie - Had my knees replaced left in 2004 and right in 2007. I got in the pool right away (two days post-op) and was able to rehab without gaining any weight. I also did PT on land. Put off the surgery until instability became a problem. Besides I wanted to keep riding my horse and I have done that.

Heather - Love the ice cream faces.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Lisa - love the Tshirt banner!

Lenora - Hope your digit is toe-tally well soon!

Janetr - The ornaments are beautiful!

Got my hair cut and got my highlights. She did more red on top. Not sure about it just yet. We'll see.....

Toni
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA , Toni in TN Thank you ladies on the ornaments.

Janetr okc
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options

Darn it! I was hoping for some good news. :disappointed:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    (((( <3 )))) Allie I agree with the ladies, the right place is going to come along.

Great to meet newbies, keep checking in, this thing works as long as you work it!

NYKAREN
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ~ Re in TX - LOVE the thought of cornbread and beans, so I think that's going on my menu for the weekend! Thanks for the idea!

~ Janet, Sue - you guys are an inspiration! If I EVER need my knee replaced, I know just who to come to for advice!! Oh, and Janet those ornaments are awesome! I wish I could be so creative! My creativity stops with crocheting blankets...LOL!

~ Becca - you look like a natural with those controls in your hands! Safe travels home tomorrow, and continue enjoying your DS while you're there...soon, you'll be returning!! I'm sure I can speak for others too in saying we're anxiously waiting for news of a letter waiting for you!

~ Allie - sorry to hear it didn't go through for you! I'm a believer in fate, and the right one will be there at the right time.

~ Heather - ADORABLE zoo photos!

~ Oakie - WOOOHOOO!! Isn't it FUN to discover clothes FIT when you don't expect them to?!!? My DD has been helping herself to my closet and found a stash I'd placed off to the side of jeans I just KNEW were too small a year ago. She left them on my bed last week while I was at work with a note "try these on, bet they fit now"...so...YIPPEEE!! Like you, I have a hard time finding pants/jeans that are long enough. I'm fairly tall at 5' 8" but inseam is what my doc says should be on a woman who's 5' 11"...that's how tall I was SUPPOSED to be, but I didn't quite make it there...LOL! I'm okay with being the shortest person in my family other than my Squishy! LOL! Soon he'll be wayyyy taller than me!

Pretty decent day today so far. I've got some priority items knocked off of my to do list already including paying some bills (YUCK)... My DS has decided to host a Mayweather/McGregor party at his place, which starts at 2pm with the fight starting at 5pm Pacific. I have my sleep study at 830pm that night, so I might miss the actual main event, but I'm really hoping for some good fights before that too. Of course, "hey Ma, can you make potato salad again? You make the BEST and Pillz requested your Sweet Heat Beans too - can you hook me up?"...hahaha...as long as he's buyin' I'll do that part of the cookin' for him. He's got the grill menu already lined out - at least I won't have to worry about that part!

Much love and respect from Vegas,
    Dorrie aka TrulyDivyn
    "Nothing can dim the light that shines from within" --- Dr. Maya Angelou
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Allie - sorry this condo didn't work out, but maybe you'll find a place quickly that can take the dogs if you wish and has a garage! Keep us posted!

Becca
    - loved the photos of you on the jet simulator - I bet the Naval Air Museum was great.

Terry
    - welcome! I don't have anything to add to the loose skin conversation other than strength training and building up muscle should help. DH and I were watching a show on the tube today - some slim gal in her 30's had a breast enlargement - nothing huge - but her "girls" were already going south toward her belly button. She had paid to give herself a head start on body parts sagging early, lol.

Dorrie - we can't wait for the Mayweather/McGregor fight! Don't have pay per view available - I'm sure it will be on shortly after it's over, at least the high points and probably on You tube. Your DS has a great party planned! If we lived close, we'd crash it B) It's going to take a lot of discipline on McGregor's part not to use his feet.

I had another NSV on Monday when I went to the PT - I pulled on a pair of sweatpants I hadn't worn for months because they were too tight. This time, they fit perfectly! And, I'm seeing some teensy weensy definition in my arms. They are still "Olive Oyle" but my DH says some of the fat has disappeared. That inspires me to keep at it and keep building on my program.

Today was the Terra Cotta Warriors tour....I had to cancel this morning. :( Woke with a sinus headache at 12:30 am and dealt with that until 4:30 when I got up - and came down with a bladder infection yesterday. :'( No way I was going to make it on a 2 hour bus ride even tho it had facilities - I had some Uri-calm on hand which helped with the pain and urgency, but still felt crappy. Got in to the doc this afternoon and am on Cipro. He couldn't find infection but said there still could be something there so we'd give this a try. I had some of the same symptoms 15 years ago when I had a kidney stone.... crossing fingers!

Anyhow, it was not meant to be, and maybe for the best... there might have been some Flu carrier from Australia in line with me spreading germs! >:) So, whew! Dodged the bullet!

Welcome to all newbies who've been popping in - it's OK to just "sit and listen", to have a conversation with a few people, or the whole gang IF you have the time.

That's the latest. Have a great evening everyone!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :'(Allie, sorry to hear that the condo won't work out. There is something better waiting for you and you'll find it. This is a good time to make a list of what your requirements are--needs. wants, likes, so you'll be prepared for the next thing that comes along.

<3 Barbie
  • paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Janetr, your ornaments remind me of the ones my mom used to make when I was a child. Thanks for the memories!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Dottie, I had both knees replaced at the same time a few years ago before losing weight. I actually lost 30lbs(probably because I couldn't walk to the food much). They start PT right away so it's not like you aren't moving. I was out of work for 9 weeks. Best thing I ever did as now I'm pain free and able to move better. The only downside was it's still hard to kneel. But even that's getting better. Good luck. Terry