WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    :)langman, I have been listening to an audio book where Hardanger embroidery was mentioned a lot and I had no idea what it was. Thanks for the picture. I knit while riding my recumbent exercise bike and watching TV with my husband. It covers lots of bases for me---creative work, keeping my hands busy, getting exercise, and spending time with my husband. About eating while on vacation. Make use of grocery stores and buy simple healthy food rather than restaurants. In restaurants order exactly what you want so you don't have to have high calorie sauces or butter or side dishes you don't want. Order off the ala carte menu for items without the side dishes. Be firm about no bread or desserts. Don't eat something just for recreation or entertainment.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Langman, your embroidery work is beautiful. I've never tried Hardanger. I've been knitting in the evenings to give my hands something to do.

There seems to be a lot of ladies from Washington State in this group, or is it my imagination? I'm a Washington native. I currently have homes in Snohomish and Grand Coulee.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    hey Beth I'm waving at ya! I already have made a date to be in upstate NY for 2024 eclipse B)

I've been backsliding on maintenance the past two weeks so it's back to one small change per day and making a choice to move every day! Staying away from white flour and sugar is the key for me. NYKAREN

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    Midnight ... time to go to bed! :)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday.
    JANETR-- love the ornaments. Do you have a link or website to provide instructions on how to do these?
    TERRY in VT-- Yours is a success story!
    MACHKA -- You say 2 years on skin tightening? Does swimming in the pool daily perhaps help skin to tighten a bit?
    New persons-- Welcome, post often.
    Nothing new here yet! Taking boy to a park meeting for running this PM. We will see how it goes. I will see if I can run with him. If it works out and he will go, then that fills in Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings for the next little bit.
    Who here is an experienced diabetic? I have some doubts about it and am looking for advice. Dog is snoring--think I might go back to bed.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    MACHKA -- You say 2 years on skin tightening? Does swimming in the pool daily perhaps help skin to tighten a bit?

From what I've read, if skin is going to tighten, it can take up to 2 years to do it. Mine seemed to take about 18 months. However, I was only overweight for about 4 years and only just overweight, so that might make some difference.

Exercise doesn't help skin to tighten, but if you build muscle it may fill out the skin in a different way. For example, if your arms were plump, and then you lost weight, and then you built up great biceps, the bicep muscles might fill the loose skin.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Machka loved the story of how you met DH.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Good for you, <3Allie.

I have renewed respect for all of you who have pain, hard work, travel, children, husbands or parents to care for, fatigue, stress etc. Phew! These last few days, when I couldn't do my usual exercise regime and was on full grandparent mode, has been really difficult. It has been three weeks since I last logged my food or exercise. I came back from the cruise feeling pretty ok, because I ate carefully and exercised, but now I feel sluggish and lumpen. I just sort of surrendered. :s:# Too tired to care.
    A preliminary glance at the scales, in less than perfect circumstances, makes me think I have put on between two or three pounds, most of it this week, it feels like. I hope it is a temporary blip and I am soon back to my logging, exercising and less alcohol regime. I need to get my alcohol chart back on the fridge. ;):*

I learnt, from the other grandparents, :o that my son was shunted in the back of his car a few days before we left for the cruise. Max was in the car and had to go to hospital for a check up as he banged his head a bit. All ok, but the car was a write off. Typical of my son not to tell me. Grrrrrrrrrr! The insurance will pay out, but it's the usual huge hassle. He was on his way back from my ex's 70th party the day we left Brighton. He has always kept stuff like that from me. I always found out things from other people, or years afterwards.

I hope to be a better correspondent now that things have settled down. Love Janetr's baubles and the Hardanger embroidery is amazing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    langman absolutely gorgeous. I'm not skilled enough for somethin like that. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: With such a large percentage of students from abroad, it is easy to understand the flu threat you face every year. I wish you luck at staying healthy this year. I hope the choice you make regarding flu vaccines turns out to protect you. I'm a retired teacher and we all caught plenty of viruses from our students over the years. :flowerforyou: A few years ago we went to DDIL's family home for Thanksgiving. We came home sicker than we've been in years and were blaming the flights. I called into my doctor's office here for advice and everyone had gone home with the flu except one advice nurse. I had to rethink the source of that flu. We may have been incubating it before we ever left home. No matter whether it is a local flu or brought in, you've had to suffer trough the illnesses and I'm sorry about that. :ohwell: happy Anniaversary!!!!!

Sharon: I'm sorry you are hurting today and loaded down with work problems to solve on top of it. (((HUGS)))

Langman22: Welcome to a great group! My first step toward better health was to take a yoga class. It was a huge help for me and keeps me encouraged and motivated to stay healthy. This group is also a great place for encouragement. Stop by often. :smiley:

Pip: Sorry about the flat tires. Is somebody dumping tacks in the roads? :huh: Good news about the firing happy boss being let go. :devil:

Rhonda from TX & Terry in VT: Welcome! :smiley:

Karen: Good news about your beloved Yorkie. :bigsmile:

Vicki: I find it encouraging that your hospital gives employees annual flu shots for free. It is really sensible for a population of people who are destined to encounter all the germs that people bring in to the work place. :star:

Joanne6063: Welcome! :smiley:

Allie: Stay strong. :star: I hope something comes along soon that you like as much as that condo that will allow you to have your dogs. If the owner counter offered, there may be hope for that place yet. :smiley:

Cheri in TX: Congratulations on the 27 pound loss!!!!! You are making great progress. :star:

Beth: I read about this being the last total solar eclipse visible in the US on some web/news site. I am glad to hear that it isn't true. :bigsmile:

We are home again and I'm looking forward to getting back into my routine-and that means yoga today. DH ordered new barstools from the Internet and they arrived while we were away. They are sitting outside the front door at this very minute. I hope we like them. I'm happy enough with the old ones that we've had for more than 20 years but he's ready for something different.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)