Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    @maisiba Glad you got it to work! Soft serve is pretty much exactly what it is, and you have to eat it fast before it melts. Here is my Shamrock ice cream before adding the Reddi whip and you can see the consistency is very soft serve and the edges start to melt quickly so I eat around the outside first. (nom! That's kinda my fav part)

ryjp3i2uvjtm.jpg

Since your food processor is taking so long to crush the ice here's a suggestion for you. You could try making it, then freezing it a short while, then putting it back into your food processor and re blending. You might get a better result that way?

I was searching for tips and I came across that here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/video-how-to-make-ice-cream-in-a-food-processor-171649

Might be worth a try!

@amusedmonkey That sounds really good, I'm glad you were not disappointed! Out of curiosity, in your industrial blender do you have the same problem if you add the liquids, then pp, then ice last?

@nowine4me I love all your ice cream photos! You inspire me to try new toppings and flavors. That cinnamon crunch has me fanning myself :p Where do you find the cocoa nibs? In the candy or baking aisle?

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    mij140 wrote: »
    I am definitely a volume eater. I just made some meatballs in marinara sauce and butternut squash noodles. I ate 12 meatballs and 208 grams of squash. I don't play around. I'm also down 94 lbs. I'd rather have 2 large meals a day than 4-6 small ones.

@mij140 I've done zucchini noodles, but never tried to Spiralizer butternut. Looks fantastic. Do you steam/boil it before adding the sauce, or is it raw?

@ElvenToad I order the nibs from Amazon, they don't carry them at my grocery store. But they would have them at TJ's or Whole Foods. Probably with the baking chocolate.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »

@amusedmonkey That sounds really good, I'm glad you were not disappointed! Out of curiosity, in your industrial blender do you have the same problem if you add the liquids, then pp, then ice last?

Yes, anything that makes the consistency thicker than a thick shake doesn't work and makes the blades spin in a bubble. I could probably go as thick as a very very soft serve if I just pulse. It's sad because it's capable of bringing things to very smooth consistency (barely any pulp making tomato sauce without peeling tomatoes) so one would think it would be perfect for smooth ice cream. I wish it had a speed control.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    1mr9pvht37ta.jpg

I love using butternut squash for a pasta replacement. They fill me up AND they taste great. Here is my dinner from tonight.

This looks delicious!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    I eat volume foods for lunch as it keeps me from snacking at work. Lately I trade between salads, and stirfry. Do you eat the same thing every week or buy depending what is on sale at the grocery store?

mij140- your butternut squash pasta looks wonderful. Did you spiralize it yourself?
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »

Yes, anything that makes the consistency thicker than a thick shake doesn't work and makes the blades spin in a bubble. I could probably go as thick as a very very soft serve if I just pulse. It's sad because it's capable of bringing things to very smooth consistency (barely any pulp making tomato sauce without peeling tomatoes) so one would think it would be perfect for smooth ice cream. I wish it had a speed control.

Gotcha, yeah it sounds like an awesome blender even so. Pulsing might work better to help keep that powerful vortex bubble from forming. I never would have thought that having too powerful of a blender would be bad for making ice cream either :/

And thanks for the info @nowine4me! How did the breakfast fluff taste with the oats and other tidbits mixed in?
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    mij140 - I love zucchini noodles- but they get so watery- do you have that problem with the butternut squash noodles- I have seen carrot and sweet potato noodles- but I know they will not be as low calorie as the squash or zucchini. do you have problems with your veggie noodles being watery?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Today I had 500 grams (will at least make 2.5 servings) of Turkey Burger, a can of Del Monte Tomatoes/Onions/green peppers, & one can of Pace's Red Enchilada Sauce. If I had more calories left I would've put some cheese on it, but I'm someone that almost always needs dessert & to eat my morning snack protein bar. Still tasted decent without it at least.

Also thanks to whoever suggested Beano, because the past few weeks have been unbearable for me with trapped gas due to eating cauliflower rice & beans.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2017

What I made for lunch the next three days.

Has a box of Innovasian Orange Chicken, Zatarain's New Orleans Rice Pilaf, one whole bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh Peas, & two cans of Bush Chili Beans Mild Chili Sauce.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    1mr9pvht37ta.jpg

I love using butternut squash for a pasta replacement. They fill me up AND they taste great. Here is my dinner from tonight.

Do you make the squash noodles yourself or buy in pkg? I just discovered some premade and they were soooo goood!!!!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    I'm a volume eater from way back. My current staple is cauliflower rice. I usually eat a huge plate of it, stir fried with onion. Add some oven roasted eggplant and red peppers, and toss in some sort of meat (usually chicken thigh or pork).

Thanks to this thread I tried protein ice cream for the first time. I'm in love!

My latest concoction was with mango:
    - 21 grams vanilla whey PP
    - 4 oz. skim milk
    - 140 grams frozen mango chunks
    - dash cinnamon
    - 10 grams greek cream cheese
    - 1 cup crushed ice

I topped it with a little whip cream and 15 grams of Fiber One for sprinkles. Yummy breakfast treat!
    Yesterday I made the same, but replaced the mango with frozen pineapple chunks. Delish!

I also tried protein fluff. It was OK, but a little too....room temperature.

I love all the food ideas I get from these forums. <3
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    I'm going to try something different with the protein ice cream tonight, and I'll report back. I'm going to use pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and a little yogurt and water (instead of the almond milk). I might add chia seed because I love pumpkin chia pudding.

If I had thought ahead, I could have bought some gluten free graham crackers to crush and sprinkle on top for pumpkin pie ice cream!

I was thinking that someone who likes pumpkin spice lattes could even try to make a PSL ice cream by using coffee ice cubes.

I don't' like coffee or I would be trying that.

Sounds great! Interested to hear how it turns out. :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Yesterday I finally made some protein fluff. We have regular unflavored protein powder so it didn't taste too good but I ate it & will look into buying some good flavored powder in the future. My volume eating lately consists of making a very large salad with my regular amounts of protein, cheese etc in it, but all that lettuce sure fills me up
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Speaking of salads, I can eat them again! It was the xanthan gum in the salad dressing that was the problem, not the salad itself.

So far, I've been fine as long as I don't use commercial salad dressing on my salads. I'm so happy!!!!! I can eat some raw veggies again!!!!!!

For my main meal today, I had a big salad with spring mix tossed with tomatoes and zucchini, some brown rice, cottage cheese and dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. The cottage cheese makes everything creamy and is my protein source. Very, very filling meal. I might have served myself out of a mixing bowl...

I made the pumpkin ice cream, it came out great! I topped it with some more maple syrup. Yum!

That makes me very happy for you. It made me feel sad for you imagining how life is without raw vegetables but I didn't voice it. I'm glad this has been resolved, you deserve the best.