WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) I got up extra early this morning so I could walk the dogs as usual before taking my friend to the hospital for a colonoscopy. Her results were excellent but it took my whole morning with more sitting than usual for me.

:)Mary, I'm thinking good thoughts for you with the Lyme disease and the uncertainty of your move

<3 Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary: I hope your move is a great success. Like Barbie, I wonder about your medical situation. I hope you'll be able to get competent medical help when & if needed. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Machka - ouch re the tooth!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think I finally figured out that you ladies are hunting for mushrooms. To me the word sounded like some kind of tea or herb.

I still can't believe the incredible damage I see of Harvey and it's aftermath. I see pictures on the news but when I see them here it is more personal and I feel the pain more. The way our weather man described it, it will go back out in the Gulf, pick up more steam then travel up into the Midwest meaning Tennessee, Kentucky and Jndiana. We should start feeling it pretty good this weekend, just when we have one of our biggest outdoors water festivals the hydroplane races. Oh well. I don't like to go anyway. Heat and constant noir is not for me.

Lisa, I asked Mozart what Egg was saying and he said that Egg wanted you off and play with him.

I'm going to try to post some pictures of my flowers. It will be in sections since when I get one of the entire garden you can't see anything close up. The little yellow ones are my favorite.

I can't imagine having a hotel room that close to the falls!

One more nought on retirement. Charlie had wonderful thoughts of traveling in our retirement. We did take a couple of trips. He knows I won't drive with just he and I because of his road rage and he doesn't talk. I feel invisible. So we take the who,e family. Can get a bit expensive. So our one week to Disney was our big trip then we went to Mytle Beach, Gatlinburgh and Panama City beach. But he wanted more. He wanted most of our year to be traveling. Then his health decided to rule his life and now traveling is out except the 3 hour trip to see the grands. So the best laid plans of mice and men may not happen at all. What you are preparing g may decide to take a different route. So the money we saved for a nice retirement went to health care.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Tiffanie - I have to confess that I got a good laugh out of the feather story but may not have done so if it had been my dryer ;) Anyone you want to tar and feather?

Gloria in WA
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Penny- Thanks for taking us on that ride with you

Heather - Congratulations on your win.

Tiffanie- Congratulations, Grammy. This will be such an exciting time.
    Still laughing so hard about your feathers.

Marcelyn - How devastating! Saying prayers for all those down Texas way.

Machka/ Margaret - Did you hear me singing Waltzing Matilda?

Too day was too busy at work. Not with customers but with deliveries, emails, head office, etc. etc. The things that Mondays are too often made of. I would retire tomorrow if I had it figured out. I know of too many people that never got to benefit from retirement. Worked all their lifes, contributed and gone before they could collect a cheque.
    On that note I think I am seeing the end in sight with DH's papers for all the different programs. Waiting on his birth certificate and hoping it is right.

DH and I had another talk. I didn't deserve yesterday and I don't want to put up with it. I'm sorry and I was having a bad day just doesn't cut it. Time for another tune up. I'm making an appointment for after we get back from the fishing holiday. It probably didn't help that today our DS and DDIL let us know that they have decided to call it quits. I was really hoping that they could work it out. He has taken the boys camping and she has gone on a girls' road trip. I want to hug them both and let them know how much I love them. Text messaging only goes so far.

Praying for everyone that is facing challenges. Allie, I bet you are surprised by how strong you actually are.

Sharon in Lethbridge where the temperature hit 35 degrees celsius converted to Fahrenheit that would be hotter than h*ll!
  • GloworminWA
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Didn't plan on or want to retire. Sometimes life gets in the way of what we think the future will hold for us. <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Stairs Climbed Number: 76.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 60.8

Um, Machka, that doesn't look very impressive. One and a quarter stairs per minute :noway:
    Remind me what "Stairs" really means in your book. Was it a 5-floor stairway you ascended? I think it was something like that.

Harking back to your gorgeous flowers, I recognized protea because there was a florist near the subway station where I got off every day going to work. (This was back when I lived in Stockholm.) The proprietor had named it Protea Blommor because protea was his favorite. He always had at least one blossom in his shop.

/Penny, working on my stairway construction project, painting and hoping it won't rain, near the North Pole
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    woke up late for me. slept over 10 hrs, and today is my long day..will check in later xoxox
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Back home hooray! My niece enjoyed the Corning Glass Museum, made a pendant with a flame, under wonderful supervision. She could have stayed another 3 hours I think but we really wanted to get into our own beds by 10 pm. Which is exactly what happened. I am plain worn out but the plan for today is errands including gym to get back into the swing of things before work tomorrow. DH and I had a lot of time to talk in the car because my niece hates driving in cars, she makes herself fall asleep and stays that way the entire drive! Never seen anything like that. Bonding for DH and I so very valuable to keep things "tuned up" as you might say.

Strength to all facing challenges, NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Stairs Climbed Number: 76.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 60.8

Um, Machka, that doesn't look very impressive. One and a quarter stairs per minute :noway:
    Remind me what "Stairs" really means in your book. Was it a 5-floor stairway you ascended? I think it was something like that.

Harking back to your gorgeous flowers, I recognized protea because there was a florist near the subway station where I got off every day going to work. (This was back when I lived in Stockholm.) The proprietor had named it Protea Blommor because protea was his favorite. He always had at least one blossom in his shop.

/Penny, working on my stairway construction project, painting and hoping it won't rain, near the North Pole

Yes, that's flights ... 76 flights of 20 stairs each. So 1520 individual steps. That works out to 25 individual steps per minute which would indeed appear to be quite slow, but I had to do that to get the calorie count here in MFP to match the documentation we were issued in my department. :)

And no, it's nowhere near impressive. It's actually quite unimpressive. At one point I was doing a minimum of 25 flights a day 5 days a week (500+/month), but since March, my stair climbing numbers have been way down for various reasons. I'm hoping to get them back up again in September because climbing flights and flights of stairs really seems to help me a) lose weight, b) build leg muscle, and c) improve my cardiovascular system.

I discovered just this weekend that our protea have names. The orange one is likely 'Mardi Gras ® Petite' and our pink one is likely Pixie!

I like that about the shop. :)
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Good morning all you fab women.

Rye, loved the pic of the cats. I have 2 and a dog but they don't have much to do with each other. Probably because one is so much older than the other.

Toni, sending hugs as you work to stay strong

Gloria, loved the picture with the dogs, They are so cute.

Machka, impressive numbers

NYKaren, where is the Corning Glass Museum. Close by VT by chance. Always looking for day trips.

All of you impress me with your exercise. I've really got to get my butt in gear. I did pretty well last week exercising during my lunch hours. I have a gym at work, but it is hard to exercise with co-workers and I hate to go back to work all sweaty. A little uncomfortable especially as I look like I don't know what I'm doing. But recognize that as an excuse so try not to think about it and go when there are only 1 or 2 people. It's a small gym but has a lot of equipment.

Harvey Gals, I can't believe the photos! I can't imagine being there and living through that. Nice to see it bring out the best in people. Too bad it takes something like this. Sending you all a big hug. <3

Terry in VT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    :) The audio book I'm listening to now is "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll. The author is a man in his 40's who found joy in ultra athletic challenges (Iron Man and similar triathlons) after recovering from alcoholism and finding himself overweight and winded just climbing the stairs in his house. It is inspiring reading even though such challenges are beyond me, it encourages me to keep striving to do more than I'm doing now. I highly recommend the book.