Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Thank you for all the great references to dumbbell only programs for beginners. So inspired by you amazing ladies!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Has anyone run one of the four day splits as a three day program? By that I mean you still cycle through all of the four workouts in order, you just do three sessions each week (so first week is workouts 1, 2, 3 then second week is workouts 4, 1,2 and so on). I'm wondering how much progress I would lose if I gave it a go. I've been doing Stronglifts for over a year now and the three day routine works great for my life, but I'm starting to plateau (and honestly, I'm getting quite fatigued from squatting heavy every workout - starting to dread lifting days). I'm looking for something intermediate level with some more variety - dumbbells, machines, etc - in addition to barbell work, but it looks like most of the programs that meet this criteria are laid out as four day programs.

I looked through the list here, and these seem like good contenders:
    • Wendler 5/3/1
    • A Workout Routine
    • PHUL
    • 3 Day Power Muscle Burn Split (obviously this is already three days)

Would love to hear your thoughts if you have given this a try or if there are any other workouts on the list that might be a good fit for this modification that I might have missed.. Thanks!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    None of the above. I just listen to and do what my trainer tells me to do, no matter how sadistic or insane I think he may be at times. I am slowly getting to where I want to be, so it's working. And there is constant adjustments based on my feedback.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Has anyone run one of the four day splits as a three day program? By that I mean you still cycle through all of the four workouts in order, you just do three sessions each week (so first week is workouts 1, 2, 3 then second week is workouts 4, 1,2 and so on). I'm wondering how much progress I would lose if I gave it a go. I've been doing Stronglifts for over a year now and the three day routine works great for my life, but I'm starting to plateau (and honestly, I'm getting quite fatigued from squatting heavy every workout - starting to dread lifting days). I'm looking for something intermediate level with some more variety - dumbbells, machines, etc - in addition to barbell work, but it looks like most of the programs that meet this criteria are laid out as four day programs.

• Wendler 5/3/1
    • A Workout Routine
    • PHUL

Would love to hear your thoughts if you have given this a try or if there are any other workouts on the list that might be a good fit for this modification that I might have missed.. Thanks!

Not sure about PHUL, but I'd imagine it would work just fine.

AWR (via website) and 5/3/1 (in Beyond 5/3/1, as well as original book) both have templates for training 3x per week.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member

• Wendler 5/3/1
    • A Workout Routine
    • PHUL

This article explains how to do a three day split. http://www.fitmole.org/upper-lower-split/
  • johnmurrayus1
    johnmurrayus1 Posts: 8 Member
    German Volume training , GVT
    B)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

This article explains how to do a three day split. http://www.fitmole.org/upper-lower-split/

A good source for advice, thanks for that.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    None of the above. I just listen to and do what my trainer tells me to do, no matter how sadistic or insane I think he may be at times. I am slowly getting to where I want to be, so it's working. And there is constant adjustments based on my feedback.

So no structure to speak of?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

If the coach is competent and ever present, predefined structure isn't needed. We see this a lot with stuff like Sheiko's beginner routines. The progression in those is basically autoregulated by an outside source (the coach) based on form maintenance, bar speed, etc.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

If the coach is competent and ever present, predefined structure isn't needed. We see this a lot with stuff like Sheiko's beginner routines. The progression in those is basically autoregulated by an outside source (the coach) based on form maintenance, bar speed, etc.

Bolded the most important part.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Currently in my 3rd week of Layne Norton's workout builder. Program is the intermediate bodybuilder program. Bikini and powerlifting programs available as well. Loving the program and accessories options. Well worth the money. I don't feel overworked at all. Switched from 3 full body workouts to a 5 day split using the main compound lifts plus accessories. There is an option for dumbbells as your main lifts as well.

https://www.biolayne.com/members/workout-builder/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Given my newfound obsession with Strongman competitions, I'm going to be giving Chad Wesley Smith's Juggernaut Training Method 2.0 a run for about a year. It basically employs a slightly convoluted hypertrophy-intensification-realization style of periodization.

The progression system reminiscent of 5/3/1. However, instead of using Wendler's static +5/10 lbs. per cycle, your increases are based upon amrap performance. It also offers an interesting 6 day per week training variation, but for now I'll stick to the standard 4x/week (bench, deadlift, ohp, squat) format, as I'm using other days for SM specific stuff and/or GPP.

zqpd6ci8by6j.jpg
  • TR0berts
    Just found what looks to be a pretty good intermediate program, with Kizen's Infinite Off-Season. There's a few other free programs which look at least decent, but the Off-Season one looks particularly good, IMO.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Just found what looks to be a pretty good intermediate program, with Kizen's Infinite Off-Season. There's a few other free programs which look at least decent, but the Off-Season one looks particularly good, IMO.

I think I've looked at their site but I wasn't a fan of having to make an account just to see what the programming was about. I've heard good things though!
  • TR0berts

I think I've looked at their site but I wasn't a fan of having to make an account just to see what the programming was about. I've heard good things though!

True, but I have an email account that I use almost entirely for signing up for things like this, where I'll probably just delete whatever gets sent my way. And I tend to like Omar, so sure.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited October 2017

True, but I have an email account that I use almost entirely for signing up for things like this, where I'll probably just delete whatever gets sent my way. And I tend to like Omar, so sure.

Silent Mike seems pretty great too, I'm just not ready for that level of commitment I guess lol

ETA Maybe I'll check it out later, I am in the market to start a new program any day now.
  • freshslimlook
    freshslimlook Posts: 21 Member
    Can't wait to read!
  • kmv1431
    kmv1431 Posts: 11 Member
    bump - great info that I need to look at in the future! Thanks for posting!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    New York Strong Program